Range of graphics effects in console games *spawn

I don't know, Just the game as a whole, Maybe it's just because I'm used to playing with stupid amounts of AA and AF :cry:

Yeah, just checked it, my GTX460 has like 4 times the bandwidth of an X360's GPU. Even if I'd run Crysis 2 in 1080 (my monitor is only 1680*1050 so I won't) I'd still have nearly twice the bandwidth available so I could probably use both MSAA and AF without significant performance hits.
Of course it's also worth to remember that this VGA costs more than an X360, and it can't play games like Reach or Gears 3 for example ;) or KZ/UC for PS3 owners.

Now an 580's memory transfer rate is like 8 times as high as what the XGPU has...

But you also have to consider that the EDRAM bandwidth takes the hit when AA and other things are in use so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

When you use AA and AF together the AF hit is even less usually. At least that was the case the last time I've paid attention to PC benchmarks ;)

Yeah... AF bandwidth per pixel is nowhere near as serious. :p It's a different part of the render chain anyway. Boosting texturing bandwidth via GDDR5 signalling (or other) + large on-die caches would be the way to go. eDRAM bandwidth is probably fine as is when there are other things to consider for image quality (shadowmaps & shader aliasing).

I don't know, Just the game as a whole, Maybe it's just because I'm used to playing with stupid amounts of AA and AF :cry:

The comparison applies to the entire crop of console games. I don't see how only U2 is singled out when it's cream of the crop.

The comparison applies to the entire crop of console games. I don't see how only U2 is singled out when it's cream of the crop.

It's because UC2 is always praised as being one of the best examples of console graphics, It's not that impressive, The textures for example look god awful at certain angles...

uncharted2_192790b.jpg

So far Killzone 3 is doing all the right things as to being the first console game that's actually impressed me from a graphics point of view.

Even the mighty Gran Turismo 5 is unimpressive.

It's because UC2 is always praised as being one of the best examples of console graphics, It's not that impressive, The textures for example look god awful at certain angles...

uncharted2_192790b.jpg

So far Killzone 3 is doing all the right things as to being the first console game that's actually impressed me from a graphics point of view.

Even the mighty Gran Turismo 5 is unimpressive.

U2 & GT5 use even a lot of expensive features for a close hardware, I don't understood you r criticism :???:

Almighty, KZ3 is more impressive than GoW3 IQ-wise ? That's surprising to me. ^_^ I saw quite a few people berated KZ3 earlier on. May be they showed the game too early.

U2 & GT5 use even a lot of expensive features for a close hardware, I don't understood you r criticism :???:

Games that are praised to hell and back for looking good, Don't....

I remember walking into my local game store and seeing 2 workers just staring at GT5 running saying how real it looked, I then looked at it and said to them 'That looks terrible'

I think the problem is that console players only focus on certain parts of a game/engine and not on the product as a whole.

Uncharted 2 for example gets praised a lot for it's texture work which in places is damn impressive but as a whole it's not very good, It's spoiled by the lack of texture filtering and as I said above they look god awful at certain angles but yet no one comments on it.

Gran Turismo 5, The game looks half decent in replay mode but when playing the actual game it looks terrible, The shimmering is atrocious the back ground detail is poor ( STILL 2D trees ) but again no one mentions it.

Now Kill Zone 3, Has very good textures but more importantly, VARIED textures amd not just a copy and paste of the same textures like most games do, It has very nice image quality thanks to an extremely well implemented MLAA and appears to have some form of texture filtering.

Nothing in Kill Zone 3 looks out of place, Everything looks well together as a whole. Guerilla haven't just concentrated on one particular graphical effect and raged on about it, they've equally spread there time on the entire game which 99% developers don't do.

Motorstorm - 'Look at our dynamic mud deformation' The rest of the game looks sub-standard.

oiaSd.jpg

If someone released that Kill Zone 3 screen shot claiming it was a PC game I would of believed them, Which is testament to Guerilla as it's not very often a console game can graphically be passed off as a high end PC game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the KZ3 devs will love and hate you. You praised their work and then call them gorillas. Should be Guerilla Games. :)

Almighty, that KZ3 character clearly has very low res textures, but with tiling detail textures on top to try to hide the oversized texels. For all your criticism of other games, it shouldn't escape your attention IMHO.

Almighty, that KZ3 character clearly has very low res textures, but with tiling detail textures on top to try to hide the oversized texels. For all your criticism of other games, it shouldn't escape your attention IMHO.

It does but look at it as a WHOLE..... the entire image is amazing.

Now compare that shot to other games..

The shimmering is atrocious the back ground detail is poor ( STILL 2D trees ) but again no one mentions it.
Oh come on, every racing game has 2D trees and most of shimmering is because of TAA that You can switch off in menu. The only disappointing thing about GT 5's engine are shadows on cars and sometimes too low particles, other than that it does everything You expect it to do and more.

It does but look at it as a WHOLE..... the entire image is amazing.

Now compare that shot to other games..

Isn't that from a pre-recorded cutscene as it looks blurier than other shots from same batch and seems to have SSAO?

Isn't that from a pre-recorded cutscene as it looks blurier than other shots from same batch and seems to have SSAO?

No, that is in real time. Some cutscene are pre-recorded (generally when the situation is more 'complicated') others are real time. At least in the sp demo.

Back