Rainbow 6: Vegas Reviewed

I've played the PS3 version but I can't say which version is better since I haven't played the X360 version. I can say that it looks acceptable.

i finally bought the ps3 version few days ago and the game actually looked pretty good compared to 360's"at my friend's place". heres what i've observed, the 360's has more bloom in teh outdoor and somewhat a hazy feel to it. the ps3's version appeared to hav less blooms but slightly sharper textures on the human models and their armours. the ps3 version has more alias maybe due to less bloom. overall, two versions are quite similar to each other in terms of visual, anyone says 360's looked alot better is purely being biased. anyone whos played ps3's version at 720p would know wat im talking about.

How is bloom adding anti aliasing?

well i suppose it can hide some of the edges with light. but wether that's the cause or not i do admit 360's has more aa.

btw is the aiming\bulletphysics still ****ed up?

Most people don't notice this, but if you wouldn't mind doing some quick tests for me:

1. Find a wall far away, shot out a clip (single shot, no ironsight\scope, wait for reticule to cool down) with the mp7. Do same with a G3A4 (or whatever its called),and tell me whats has the most accurate (closest) bullet spread.

2. Take the G3A4 (or some other high accuracy Assault Rifle) put a scope on it, and fire off a full clip in full auto while scoped, aiming at something, and tell me if every shot hit perfectly in the X.

You see, in the X360 version, not only are the short barreled SMGs are the far most accurate weapons, they are also the ones with the least recoil in full auto. In real life, a real assault rifle would not only be much much more accurate, it would also have less recoil in full auto. A machine gun, would have even less recoil.

Further, R6:V 360 weapons doesn't hit spot on their crosshair in ironsight\scoped which is bull, considering the longest shooting distance in this game is 80 yards. Not only that, but it also has wierd bullet magnetism, thats kinda like auto-aim, except its not really auto aim. Anyways, what happends is that you can have a guy taking cover behind something being barely visible, and when you take aim from a distance with something super accurate, like a SV-98, bullet magically fly to the wall rather than hitting the person, even tho your aiming at him. Kind of as its trying to hit a body part behind the cover.

The solution for this btw, is to not use aim\ironsights at all. Your more accurate without scopes\laser\reflex aim than with.

Wow, you found five friends who have no console preferences in what is as contentious as politics or religion? You should play the lotto...

I attribute it to our age and the fact gaming isn't our primary pastime. More technology geeks than anything. Want to hear about the iPhone? ;)

What resolution have you played the PS3 version at?

Videos I ve seen do show that the 360 version is a little bit better but I ve heard that playing the game at 1080i on the PS3 makes the game look even worse

May have been set to 1080i, since I don't remember changing it.

I attribute it to our age and the fact gaming isn't our primary pastime. More technology geeks than anything. Want to hear about the iPhone? ;)

Ah, you must be old like me (34!), but I stay away from anything with "i" in front of it :)

Try forcing 720P, 1080 scaling is FUBAR so they say.

I thought it use's a modified UE2.0 like Splinter Cell :???:

It´s a custom modified UE3 engine. Epic hasn´t finished the engine implementation of UE3 for PS3 ( i expect it to be done with unreal tournament 3 ), so UBI implemented it in PS3 on its own, which is a very reasonable effort.

Most people don't notice this, but if you wouldn't mind doing some quick tests for me:

1. Find a wall far away, shot out a clip (single shot, no ironsight\scope, wait for reticule to cool down) with the mp7. Do same with a G3A4 (or whatever its called),and tell me whats has the most accurate (closest) bullet spread.

2. Take the G3A4 (or some other high accuracy Assault Rifle) put a scope on it, and fire off a full clip in full auto while scoped, aiming at something, and tell me if every shot hit perfectly in the X.

You see, in the X360 version, not only are the short barreled SMGs are the far most accurate weapons, they are also the ones with the least recoil in full auto. In real life, a real assault rifle would not only be much much more accurate, it would also have less recoil in full auto. A machine gun, would have even less recoil.

A real assault rifle maintains greater accuracy at greater distances because of the high velocity produced by its larger caliber cartridges. Basically, bullet trajectory stays flatter over a longer distance than the trajectory produced by a SMG. However, this is when shooting in single or short bursts.

A SMG maintains greater accuracy at shorter distance because of less recoil produced by its smaller cartridges. However due to lower velocity of its smaller cartridges, accuracy diminishes the farther the target is out and its trajectory becomes less flat.

At full auto, accuracy goes out the window because sustained firing usually produces a "pulling up" effect which, is more prominent on assault rifles than its is on smgs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78963&page=2

Lots of pics and their views:

Happily, this time there's good news. The PS3 rendition of the game is pretty much identical, and most definitely a ringing endorsement of the Unreal engine that powers both versions of the game. There are minor changes throughout - most notably in the lighting. The most obvious differences are in the initial helicopter fly-bys through Mexico and the Vegas strip, with the blooming lighting effects cut back a touch on PS3. However, I was never a big fan of this blur-a-thon to begin with and the dialled down effect on PS3 is a welcome bonus in my view.

You can clearly see in the 1080P pics that the PS3 FUBAR'ed the upscaling, they should have left it out or buried it in a game menu.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78963&page=2

Lots of pics and their views:

You can clearly see in the 1080P pics that the PS3 FUBAR'ed the upscaling, they should have left it out or buried it in a game menu.

Oh my the difference between 1080i and 720p is huge.

The images I was seeing in other sites looked way too much worse than what these show.

The screens eurogamer has show a game that is almost identical to the 360 version. If I wasnt being told which one is which I might have confused them.

Thats almost a perfect port. Ubi did a great job. Only if that 1080i option wasnt that ugly looking. Most people are probably experiencing worse graphics for nothing.

The blurriness I was experiencing with other images and videos seem like they were a result of the horrific upscaling

R6:V is less realistic than the first incarnation of R6 back in 1998

I was just being sarcastic there by implying that the game is so realistic that they forgot to adjust their guns before going to battle :p

In real life when you take a scope and attach it you are supposed to shoot on target, measure and adjust it, shoot measure and adjust it until you get it right, otherwise the cross hairs or laser and bullet want point at the same thing.

...You do realize that you chose two very bad guns to do this with, right? The mp7 uses a 4.6x30mm round that is designed for a high penetration of body armor and low recoil. It also has a round that is nearly as fast as the heavier 7.62x51mm the G3 is using so it should have a flat trajectory out to a couple hundred meters (it loses energy pretty quickly after 100m, but given Rainbow 6 ranges that shouldn't be a problem). Besides, those 7.62 assault rifles you decided to compare it to went out of fashion because they were unsuitable to fully automatic fire (because of the recoil).

Now, I have plenty of problems with the newer R6 games (enough that I don't buy them), but that doesn't seem like a problem to me...

R6:V is less realistic than the first incarnation of R6 back in 1998

I still think that Rouge Spear was the best in the series, both in gameplay and game story. Sadly the R6 series went down after Ravenshield, they went for the arcade style gameplay or what I would all 'run and gun' style.

Back