Watch Dogs 2

I will upload some. Which resolutions? FullHD and Ultra HD?
Ive asked this several times and despite promises no one has ever done it
Can you take a screenshot in hd change the resolution to uhd and take exactly the same screenshot
tnx...

I arrived at home and had no electricity. Now it's back. I do not know if I can still do it today.

Where did you ask? I have not seen it.

____

Got it. This time I have uploaded the pictures in an uncompressed quality to make the comparison of the AA methods more accuracy.

Sequence:
1. UHD/FHD + 2*TXAA
2. UHD/FHD + (standard) SMAA
3. UHD/FHD + (new) TAA
4. UHD/FHD + Temporal Filtering (1920*2160/ 960*1080) + (standard) SMAA

Link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskUrK1e5

In motion the difference is much more visible.

Last edited:
Temporal Filtering can be used in Watch Dogs 2 and Reinbow Six Siege. This is the same technique as Checkerboard rendering on the PlayStation 4 Pro.
It renders the game at least at half the number of pixels on the x-axis. Which would in UHD be 1920 * 2160 and thus about 4.15 million pixels.

One pixel is always omitted on the x-axis. A line above the same is offset by one pixel. The empty pixels are filled with information from previous frames.

7frwa.png

Visually this crisper than 1620p on a TV but it generates ghosting and Checkerboarding/Temporal Filtering does only look really good at 60fps. Actually it very good with 60fps. Temporal Filtering is recommended for those who want to keep 60fps.

It does not look like native UHD but I prefer Temporal Filtering at UHD clearly over 1620p on a TV. In screenshots the difference looks minor compared to native UHD but in motion they are more visible. Even on my 65' FullHD plasma. On a UHD device it is possibly even easier to recognize. 1800p Checkerboard does not look so good on the TV. Going from 2160p with Temporal Filtering is much better because the pixel mapping is 1 to 1.

I would not use this technique in FullHD. That flimmers a lot more than native FullHD but at least it looks much better than HDReady. However, in Ultra HD it is excellent which would perhaps be different for 100 inch TV devices.

3840*2160 = 8,29 Mio. pixel
3200*1800 = 5,76 Mio. pixel
2880*1620 = 4,67 Mio. pixel

Performance:
watch-dogs-2-temporal-filtering-performance.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-2-graphics-and-performance-guide

Last edited:
I have tested Temporal Filtering more.

If nothing moves in the picture it almost looks like UHD to me. But if the image moves there are few artifacts due the interpolation. They become visible and the image appears a bit more blurred.

Uploaded more pictures (native UHD vs Temporal Filtering UHD) for those who are interested in the topic or do not have Watch Dogs 2: https://flic.kr/s/aHskRThhyX

Jagged Temporal Filtering artefacts with a camera movement zoomed in:
0_on_zoomed by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

0.1_on_zoomed by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

4_TF_on_zoomed by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

7_TF_on by X-RAY-89, auf Flickr

EDIT:
Standard Post-SMAA was disabled for the pictures. But it is not a good AA either. Everything that flickers without AA still flickers with enabled SMAA. Perhaps I leave from now on deactivated because it only blurres the Image.

Last edited:
@Jupiter
thanks for the screenshots, they have allowed me to answer a question ive had for a long time
I run games either at 1680x1050 or 5040x1050 (3 times the horizontal resolution) and when I do that I see an extra 200% of the world in the horizontal plane
and since you run games at 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 (2 times the horizontal resolution and 2 times the vertical res) and was wondering if you see an twice as much of the world in both axis
you dont, you see twice the pixel density along both axis.

Back