Watch Dogs 2

I watched gameplay, and BY GOD these hipedy hip young dude-with-tude I-already-was-a-hacker-before-it-was-cool caricatures of actual human beings are obnoxious. I generaly find ubisoft's worlds specially cringy and silly, but this reaches new heights. It fits my general stereotypical view of french that they are terribly unfashionable.
I feel like It's so annoying I would not endure playing the game. Can you guys get by the cutscenes and dialogue without throwing your screen out the window?

I suppose one needs to consider the audience they are probably targetting with a hybrid GTA like game.

Maybe the days you're looking there isn't any fog? It's not as if San Francisco bay is constantly enveloped in it.
Yeah I'm playing on PS4 Pro and I've only seen fog once.

I suppose one needs to consider the audience they are probably targetting with a hybrid GTA like game.
I enjoyed GTAs characters. The writing was a little too much, and the social comentary was juvenile and preechy, but still had good jokes, and characters were mostly belivable and varied, although in situations that weren't.
Wach dogs, on the other hand, feels like a 45 year old french dude saw what the kidz todayz are up to on the internet, and cooked up a mixture of all the cheesiest and most cartoony parts of it and served it with a naive certainty that it's all hip and the target demographics are gonna love it! derp.

In my opinion the singleplayer of GTA V was very disappointing. The missions in Watch Dogs 2 look much more interesting, open and gameplay-oriented.

As for the characters I can not take both games seriously. The constant senseless talk in GTA V has annoyed me alot.

I enjoyed GTAs characters. The writing was a little too much, and the social comentary was juvenile and preechy, but still had good jokes, and characters were mostly belivable and varied, although in situations that weren't.
Wach dogs, on the other hand, feels like a 45 year old french dude saw what the kidz todayz are up to on the internet, and cooked up a mixture of all the cheesiest and most cartoony parts of it and served it with a naive certainty that it's all hip and the target demographics are gonna love it! derp.

Not all characters in WD2 are that bad. Besides, but this isn't supposed to be a realistic representation of San Fran in the first place and the over the top parts don't sully the rest of the game imo. It's goofy sure, but it's self aware; as in, it uses all that goofiness to create some fun moments and gameplay scenarios. In the end, i think the game is better for it, even though there's some quite obvious political stuff jammed into it in the same way GTAV tried to do social critique, but it's more hit or miss in WD2 than it is in GTAV. When it's not trying to teach you how society should be (which is not that often to be honest), it's fun, and as a game i think that matters more. And the studio working on it is Canadian afaik :D

My one gripe with the game how it pussied out of pushing the player to play non-lethal, it's more fun and it is more rewarding with the tools you are given to play non-lethally, but the game doesn't punish you for going guns blazing, neither does it reward you for being stealthy. Missed opportunity there.

On a different note, TXAA is so good in WD2 i'm excited to see other games using it in the future. It's not as good as most TSSAA implementations (mainly due to the performance cost), even though it behaves in a similar way, but it's finally a good alternative to use in games that don't have good temporal AA. Wish they could patch Unity/Syndicate with the latest TXAA, it's the only AA i'd use.

Last edited:
I'm liking the density of detail in San Fran, at Ultra settings + extra details pushed to +50% it's quite something

desktop12.02.2016-19.itsot.jpg

desktop12.02.2016-19.5jsyo.jpg

desktop12.02.2016-20.ddsev.jpg

Is this with TXAA enabled? Looks less aliased than most screens I've seen so far.

Yup TXAAx2 but the temporal part of the AA switches off when stationary, so this is essentially native res plus MSAAx2. Looks even better in motion with the temporal aa active :D

Even MSAA helps on static scenarios. Thanks for the comparison. I could not find good screens with TXAA.
As long as no 1800p or 2160p is used, TXAA should be enabled. In UHD however, it is simply too expensive.

Temporal filtering looks problematic in motion, right? In any case, I see a lot of flicker potential in your upper movement image.

Temporal filtering looks problematic in motion, right? In any case, I see a lot of flicker potential in your upper movement image.

It does but it gets better as you increase res, i think it's a good compromise overall but it could look better. I don't think the implementation is as good as the one in R6 Siege though.

Thanks for the document. Finally I know how these disturbing gaming realtime shadow artifacts which can be found in nearly every moment are called. P: 20; 21 and 22. For example on the pages 30-31 you can see how HRTS eliminates Peter-Panning.

HRTS and VXAO are really stunning but expensive. Unfortunately HRTS works only with direct sunlight.

Still waiting for Ansel in The Division...

Last edited:
A small update on how i feel about the game having spent more or less 20 hours with it, i think it's the best open world game we got from Ubisoft in quite a while. San Francisco is well realized, the main cast of characters grows on you the further you get in the story and it's better than the first in almost everything. It's more lightweight and the story doesn't have a driving purpose like the first but it's really fun in small bursts, in fact i'd say it's probably one of the better games I've played in 2016 (in my top 10 for sure). The only clear negative from what I've played is what i mentioned about playing non-lethal and minor annoyances include that driving remains as weightless as the first game and some political/social critique is being handled a bit too heavy handed; But overall, it's a very enjoyable experience and i didn't expect it to be nearly as good.

Last edited:
Patch 1.08

PC-Only Updates
  • San Francisco Fog (aka “Karl”): Fixed a timer bug that was causing the iconic fog to appear less often than intended. On the days it appears, it will show up around 6PM and disappear around 2PM the next day. In a future update, we’ll adjust and randomize its appearance times, so you can enjoy it more often. If you are eager to see it, you can always make the time pass faster by taking a nap on the sofa in the HQ.
  • The fog is not turned on by default (due to high demands on your PC) and must be activated in Settings.

New Features
  • Replay Missions – We’ve added a functionality that lets you replay any mission that is part of a Main Operation. This will let you relive your favorite moments or experiment with different playstyles.
  • Hacker Level – Your new Hacker Level is now displayed as a stat in Marcus’ phone, based on followers acquired. You can see another player’s Hacker Level when you profile them, and this will allow you to compare yourself against your friends.
  • Enemy Weapons – DedSec picked up blueprints for enemy weapons and now they’re all available to print from the 3D Printer – for a fee.
  • Select Difficulty Level – The first time you start a new game, you’ll be prompted to choose a difficulty level. As a reminder, you can change the difficulty level at any time in the Game Options app.

Full patch notes
: http://watchdogs.ubisoft.com/watchd....aspx?c=tcm:154-278691-16&ct=tcm:154-76770-32

Played several missions and I've already felt that I've used some unique methods to complete a mission. Ways which only a few people have ever seen. It is ingenious how creative the missions can be finished. In my opinion, GTA Vs singleplayer is no comparison to that.

In high difficulty levels it is challenging. The brain must be used.

However, Clukus is right that it is a pity that there are no rewards for a non-lethal procedure.

Last edited:
New patch adds temporal AA on PC.

"• [Video Options] SMAA T2x – This patch adds new Post-Process Anti-Aliasing mode – SMAA T2x, improved version of SMAA with a temporal component. As SMAA T2x uses temporal techniques, it doesn’t work with Temporal Filtering turned on."

Patch Notes: http://watchdogs.ubisoft.com/watchd....aspx?c=tcm:154-283083-16&ct=tcm:154-76770-32

I dont get native UHD and 60fps in this game. Therefore I use Temporal Filtering which unfortunately does not work with TAA. But I can say that it smoothens the image very well. Better than ever.
Especially when compared to TXAA it could be too aggressive for some people in Full HD. What is relativized at higher resolutions

Last edited:
New patch adds temporal AA on PC.

"• [Video Options] SMAA T2x – This patch adds new Post-Process Anti-Aliasing mode – SMAA T2x, improved version of SMAA with a temporal component. As SMAA T2x uses temporal techniques, it doesn’t work with Temporal Filtering turned on."

Patch Notes: http://watchdogs.ubisoft.com/watchd....aspx?c=tcm:154-283083-16&ct=tcm:154-76770-32

I dont get native UHD and 60fps in this game. Therefore I use Temporal Filtering which unfortunately does not work with TAA. But I can say that it smoothens the image very well. Better than ever.
Especially when compared to TXAA it could be too aggressive for some people in Full HD. What is relativized at higher resolutions

Got any nice comparison screens :D ?

I will upload some. Which resolutions? FullHD and Ultra HD?

It is a TAA which I would call proper. Still not nearly as good and sharp as in The Division or For Honor but better than in some other games. SMAA T2x is the first AA in this game with the ecxeption of TXAA where it no longer flickers in UHD.

With my card I still prefer to play with Temporal Filtering in UHD/60fps on my TV screen since I do not reach UHD/60fps. However, the people who play this game natively in 1080p, 1440p, 1620p or UHD can use it.

Somehow I do not like the resolution scaling (in combination with TAA?) in this game on my 65VTW60 plasma screen. The Division and STAR WARS Battlefront do look much better with the same number of pixels below UHD.

Last edited:
Back