R420 IQ Comparison

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
What is your personal assessment DaveB?

In the link above the only difference I notice is in the gun and the sky and a slight difference in the sky.

The biggest difference is the top of the gun though and the NV17 image looks better in that department. But this doesnt have anything to do with the issue at hand does it?

"The match has begun," indeed. :)

I can't really spot a difference with my eyes, and The Compressonator confirms virtually no diff on the ground.

Can you provide us with comparison pics with brighter textures? That CoD pic seemed fairly ideal in that it offered a flat rail in the immediate foreground along with a grassy knoll.

Maybe you can use Wolfenstein: ET? The interior of the forward bunker in the Radar map should offer some nice angles and decently bright textures for easier comparison. I'd also be interested in comparison shots of the beach (sorry, forgot the name of the map, but it's the one with the Allies spawning in the water right in front of the beach).

Malfunction said:
Ya, you can really see it in the well lit area's of the map.

See what? Are you so pointedly biased that you've gone blind? Maybe all that ranting and raving you've done all over the net has taken it toll on you visual abilities.....

Tahir said:
What is your personal assessment DaveB?

In the link above the only difference I notice is in the gun and the sky and a slight difference in the sky.

The biggest difference is the top of the gun though and the NV17 image looks better in that department. But this doesnt have anything to do with the issue at hand does it?

The top of the gun only looks different not better. And thats because its in a different position (lighting) which is probably because the times at which they were takin was different.

Tahir said:
In the link above the only difference I notice is in the gun and the sky and a slight difference in the sky?

The sky cycles through various colours, so thats just a time difference in when they were grabbed.

in the second map, the light is slightly bigger on mouseover.

I guess the blue lights (or whatever they are) are another grab problem? :)

Please for the love of god can we stay on topic. YES there are differences that have zippo to do with the issue at hand. FORGET THE SKY!!!!!!!!! And yes the screenshot is at a slightly different frame, that does not matter.

In the second shot again, next to no difference (FORGET THE GRASS)

These screenshots are a bit too dark so I'm not sure how useful they are but I could see no real differences in filtering in either.

The two sets of pictures look similar, except in certain areas (such as the sky in the first set of pics). It would be interesting to see these pics with an NV FX card doing brilinear, for comparison purposes, in addition to a comparison using the 6800 trilinear optimizations.

martrox said:
Malfunction said:
Ya, you can really see it in the well lit area's of the map.

See what? Are you so pointedly biased that you've gone blind? Maybe all that ranting and raving you've done all over the net has taken it toll on you visual abilities.....

The only way you will get an honest answer out of some people is if you don't tell them which is which.

jimmyjames123 said:
The two sets of pictures look similar, except in certain areas (such as the sky in the first set of pics). We would have a better frame of reference if we could see pics with an NV FX card doing brilinear, for comparison purposes, in addition to a comparison using the 6800 trilinear optimizations.

The point was to compare it to a full trilinear screen. Not to compare the 2 "adaptive" methods to each other.

jimmyjames123 said:
The two sets of pictures look similar, except in certain areas (such as the sky in the first set of pics). It would be interesting to see these pics with an NV FX card doing brilinear, for comparison purposes, in addition to a comparison using the 6800 trilinear optimizations.

AlphaWolf said:
The only way you will get an honest answer out of some people is if you don't tell them which is which.

Two very good suggestions. Dave, could you fire up some X v Y comparisons for us with some known brilinear filtering thrown in for good measure. TIA!! :)

Chris123234 said:
jimmyjames123 said:
The two sets of pictures look similar, except in certain areas (such as the sky in the first set of pics). We would have a better frame of reference if we could see pics with an NV FX card doing brilinear, for comparison purposes, in addition to a comparison using the 6800 trilinear optimizations.

The point was to compare it to a full trilinear screen. Not to compare the 2 "adaptive" methods to each other.

Yes but with brilinear in the mix we can get a feel for how noticeable brilinear would be in a given shot.

Back