Question about xbox Live?

For all of you Xbox 360 owners, how is Live with lag? Does live match people up with similar pings or does it just do a free for all?

I'm just wondering how online is progressing, the only game i've played online was Ratchet and Clank and there was always atleast one person with a bad connection.

I know its more of an issue with each connection so i'm hoping that Live seperates the good connections from the bad.

winstonsmith1978 said:
For all of you Xbox 360 owners, how is Live with lag? Does live match people up with similar pings or does it just do a free for all?

Yes, Live will match people up in three ways

1) good pings
2) area of choice (recreation, pro, etc)
3) skill level (similar online rankings)

Alternatively, in many games you can make private games, into which you just invite people from your friends list, whom you know have good pings.

Also, a lot of games will give a score on how good the connection of games is, and the players inside. I can only speak for xbox, not 360, but in PGR2, doing an optimatch rates all games out of 4, and in Rainbow six: Black Arrow, every player in the lobby is rated out of 3 to allow the host to see laggers before they even play. Forza also rates each player IIRC.

I imagine most games on 360, since every game is live aware in some sense, is even better at allowing you to remove the players with bad pings, if not do it for you.

Live seems to work pretty well on the 360, the one that pisses me off the most id COD2, I get lag 1/3 times if there's more than 6 players and you have to prety much use a Optimatch/quick start to find a game with limited filters. You can't even pick what map to play on. COD2 has a very lazy online mode, but the game is still fun regardless.

PDZ is the better of the games I got. Has all the options you need, only needs bots for MP.

I read on Shacknews about how Live is implementing TrueSkill which keeps track of your skill and matches you through statistical algorithms to match you with comparable players with a normal distribution curve. Basically if you suck, you'll play with other sucky players, and same goes for across the curve.

bouy said:
....COD2, I get lag 1/3 times if there's more than 6 players ....

a patch has been announced (can't wait I love this game).

FWIW the first person in a room is the host in CoD 2 so that is the reason there is so much lag. When I host (800 up) I can support up to 8 no problem.

Most other games are mostly lag free on live.

Back