Question about mixed mode (802.11b/g) wireless network speeds.

NANOTEC

Banned
I currently have a mixed mode wireless network in my home. Some pcs have "b" only adapters while others have "b/g" adapters. So here's the question: If my router is b/g can my network simultaneously operate in both b and g mode? Or does everything fallback to b mode?

NANOTEC said:
I currently have a mixed mode wireless network in my home. Some pcs have "b" only adapters while others have "b/g" adapters. So here's the question: If my router is b/g can my network simultaneously operate in both b and g mode? Or does everything fallback to b mode?

It can simultaneously support both modes, but its "g" mode will be slower than if it were set to "g only" from my experience with Linksys, Checkpoitn and Zonet wireless routers. It won't be as slow as b only, but it will be slower AFAIK.

Only first-gen G stuff falls back to B only in a mixed-mode network; if I remember correctly, this is because the hardware was released before the G spec was completely finished.

When is N set to officially arrive?

Some hardware is listed as "pre-N" ...is getting one of those worthwhile right now?

ZoinKs! said:
When is N set to officially arrive?

Some hardware is listed as "pre-N" ...is getting one of those worthwhile right now?

Not sure how much longer to get it fully ratified and out in products.

I would wait if you can, that way you're sure to be OK when it does roll out.

Back