PSP2 in the pipeline ?

mckmas8808 said:
1. If I don't have an internet connection how do I buy/play the games?

2. If I do have an internet connection at home, yet I don't have a credit card how do I buy/play the game?

They could come on DVDs which you could load from your PC or your PS3, or someone mentioned something about memory stick ROMs?

They could also be downloaded from wifi hotspots and you could pay with something like 'sony points'. Thats how MS got around the credit card thing.

Remember this 'successor' is at least a year away so keep in mind the environment then instead of now. The redesign will obviously need a UMD drive.

EDIT: Remember this model is no different than what Apple is dealing with now with iPods. There is no 'removeable media' there either yet people are getting tons of content on them.

I think the viability of these 'removeable-media-less' technologies is exactly whats keeping MS on the sidelines for the time being. With the rumors that there will be an MS portable soon you have to figure in the next 12-18 months these delivery types will be perfectly feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
expletive said:
They could come on DVDs which you could load from your PC or your PS3, or someone mentioned something about memory stick ROMs?

They could also be downloaded from wifi hotspots and you could pay with something like 'sony points'. Thats how MS got around the credit card thing.

Remember this 'successor' is at least a year away so keep in mind the environment then instead of now. The redesign will obviously need a UMD drive.

EDIT: Remember this model is no different than what Apple is dealing with now with iPods. There is no 'removeable media' there either yet people are getting tons of content on them.

I think the viability of these 'removeable-media-less' technologies is exactly whats keeping MS on the sidelines for the time being. With the rumors that there will be an MS portable soon you have to figure in the next 12-18 months these delivery types will be perfectly feasible.

That's possible, but I would hate to bet on Sony having an infrastucture that good enough to support that. Sony's no Apple when it comes to downloadable content. And what's so bad about UMDs or anykind of disc?

mckmas8808 said:
That's possible, but I would hate to bet on Sony having an infrastucture that good enough to support that. Sony's no Apple when it comes to downloadable content.

If Sony doesnt have an infrastructure that can support that they're in big trouble because i think even they realize thats where the market is headed. Even if its not for games, its for music, movies, PS3 widgets, etc.

mckmas8808 said:
Sony's no Apple when it comes to downloadable content.

Well infrastructure aside, Sony's problem, imo, is that they try to be everything too fast. Apple has been brilliant building their ipod installed base with a very focused strategy and delivery system from their servers to the end users ears and eyes. Currently no one comes close from an end-to-end solution standpoint. Theyve got an incredible foundation to build on.

mckmas8808 said:
And what's so bad about UMDs or anykind of disc?

I suppose its fine for games but when youre pushing the device as a multimedia machine as well, the storage solution (memory sticks) for the PSP, quite honestly, sucks.

Case in point:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820191427

The problem i see for UMDs is that even the DRIVE takes up so much space on the portable device. That space could be so much better used as a HD or a bigger battery imo.

expletive said:
A couple of gigs should be plenty for a handheld system. Even at that portable players today have 60G of storage which would mean 20 games plus 20G free for multimedia.
I don't know what HDD prices are like, but a 30 Gb iPod costs more than a PSP, without the large screen and other goodies. I expect a sizeable HDD to add at least $100 to the entry level cost of the PSP, which prices it out of the mainstream. And a small HDD that you buy games onto would not go down well if you have to rebuy games when you replace them. The idea of buying games on DVD and transferring to computer might work, but that'd be quite a departure in useability terms from a PSP, making the device dependent on another computer to function. Perhaps these days that not a concern though given MP3 proliferation setting a precedent.

expletive said:
The problem i see for UMDs is that even the DRIVE takes up so much space on the portable device. That space could be so much better used as a HD or a bigger battery imo.

Most of your points aren't that bad about this subject, but I fail to see why you think the UMD takes up so much space. It's size and weight is comparable to the DS. With some shrinks in mind they can make it a little lighter and a little thiner and probably add a bigger battery just off of improved technology. And like Shifty said a decent sized HDD would cost too much money.

Back