PSP Firmware 3.0 is out, Sweet Ps1 emulation is here!

It seems firmware 3.0 is out. It's available on Network update. There have been numerous confirmations, but unfortunately I can't try it for myself. I'm still wondering if you need a PS3 for PS1 emulation on PSP, I've been hearing contradicting reports. Hopefully someone can clear that one up for me, 'cause if true then I'm out of luck.

Just tried with my EU PSP and I'll be damned, there it is. New features include PS1 support (via PS3 I reckon), Remote Play, Camera support, some kind of visualizer for music and that's about it.

Just tried with my EU PSP and I'll be damned, there it is. New features include PS1 support (via PS3 I reckon), Remote Play, Camera support, some kind of visualizer for music and that's about it.

When yuo say Camera support what kind of camera support? A specific PSP camera peripheral?

Thanks, I went to get it immediately. Here's what it says:

FirmWare3.0 said:
This update includes the following changes:

- PLAYSTATION(R)Network titles are now supported under [Game].
- [Remote Play] has been added as a feature under [Network].
- [Online Instruction Manuals] has been added as a feature under [Network].
- Timed recording has been added as a feature under [RSS Channel].
- A visual player has been added as a feature under [Music].
- 3-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature under [Music].
- [Camera] has been added as a feature under [Photo].
- [UMDtm Auto-Start] has been added as a feature in [System Settings] under [Settings].

Ironically, the 3-speed fast forward and fast reverse is one I was just starting to miss today, because I've picked up a habit of listening to podcasts through my PSP just recently (the 1up Yours broadcasts are pretty fun).

The Auto-Start feature is one I've been wanting for a long, long time - no more powering up your PSP and having to keep the disc tray open to prevent your game to start because you wanted to do something XMB ...

Now it's a matter of looking out for those PS1 games!

To break it down:

- PLAYSTATION(R)Network titles are now supported under [Game].

These are for the downloadable playstation store games among which the PS1 games.

- [Remote Play] has been added as a feature under [Network].

This is for paring your PSP with your PS3 for remote functionality like streaming movies, audio, and eventually games

- [Online Instruction Manuals] has been added as a feature under [Network].

Links to on-line manuals, as advertised. Will check them out soon.

- Timed recording has been added as a feature under [RSS Channel].

EDIT: You can set a certain time at which the channel will be saved automatically.

- A visual player has been added as a feature under [Music].

A visualiser for music playback. EDIT: there are actually five visualisers immediately available! Some of them pretty nice too ...

- 3-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature under [Music].

Being able to fast forward at three speed levels rather than the just one you have now. The option is 10/30/120, which is great and makes me totally happy; 120 is insanely fast :D Just what I need for those 1 hour plus podcasts. :)

- [Camera] has been added as a feature under [Photo].

This is for the Chotto-shot USB camera add-on that has been released in Japan about a month ago. It says PSP compatible camera, so who knows there might be third-party products at some point.

- [UMDtm Auto-Start] has been added as a feature in [System Settings] under [Settings].

This is to set your preference to what happens when you power-on your PSP. By default, it automatically boots up the game in your UMD drive, but now you can tell it to always go to the XMB first. EDIT: This is the first thing I changed as after the Firmware it rebooted and of course started up Mind Quiz immediately, while I just wanted to go to the XMB of course. :D

EDIT: I'll be testing the online features soon.

EDIT: I also found some non-advertised changes

- Changes to the Text Input

You now have on-screen indicators that tell you what each button does right away. For instance, I didn't know that Start was a shortcut to Enter, and Select allows you to change the mapped keys, with the address bar featuring three options: standard, one with extra characters like Ñ, and numbers only. I actually didn't know this was possible, though they were probably there already? But the shortcuts are definitely new.

- Certificate Utility

Can't tell what it is for exactly, but it's there as a new icon under game. Probably has to do with the online purchases, as there is no other evidence of this being installed now.

EDIT: I couldn't find any evidence of youtube working now, but I did notice that both when I started up youtube and when I went to Eurogamer TV, that it asked if I wanted to install a plugin embedded on this page.

EDIT: The online manuals are pretty decent. From that, I'm figuring right now you can only get downloadable games right now if you also have a PS3. I suppose that downloading from the playstation store we have on yourpsp will come a little later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the music visualizers are rubbish, all of them. Granted, I didn't try with too many songs but my first impression is that they're really really mediocre.

Just one more reason why PSP should allow homebrew - you could get nicer visualizers ;)

I thought the music visualizers are rubbish, all of them. Granted, I didn't try with too many songs but my first impression is that they're really really mediocre.

Just one more reason why PSP should allow homebrew - you could get nicer visualizers ;)

Well let's just say I didn't expect much. ;)

The Japanese store supposedly should have the first PS1 games up within 24 hours ...

This needs to be said. Remote Play is one extremely cool feature. There, I said it. I'm sure some will find plenty to nit pick about, but frankly, I'm impressed with what's be done so quickly. The future looks bright. What may also be of interest to some is that Remote Play uses infrastructure mode. Its own infrastructure, in fact, with the PS3 acting as a access point, secured via WPA (AES).

This needs to be said. Remote Play is one extremely cool feature. There, I said it. I'm sure some will find plenty to nit pick about, but frankly, I'm impressed with what's be done so quickly. The future looks bright. What may also be of interest to some is that Remote Play uses infrastructure mode. Its own infrastructure, in fact, with the PS3 acting as a access point, secured via WPA (AES).

What does it bring to the table? Since I don't have a PS3 and probably won't have one for a while and me, my PSP and Warioware have become inseparable I don't see me upgrading yet. Also since I have a pretty idea of what it doesn't http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/testing_ps3_rem.htmlI'd like to know what its possible right now.

Flashed my JP PSP with 3.0.
The music visualiser is a nice feature!
However, as I live in EU, the new firmware changed the PSP bookmark in the webbrowser to link in the japan site, also there seems to be a new bookmark that directs to another japanese site, and it looks like you'd be able to download some virus/firewall software from there. Anybody tried that?

Is it possible to re-flash my japan PSP with the EU 3.0 firmware, whenever that's released. If not, will I be able to upgrade later to the 3.01 EU firmware, so that in future I'd be directed to the EU Playstation Store instead of Japan?

Flashed my JP PSP with 3.0.
The music visualiser is a nice feature!
However, as I live in EU, the new firmware changed the PSP bookmark in the webbrowser to link in the japan site, also there seems to be a new bookmark that directs to another japanese site, and it looks like you'd be able to download some virus/firewall software from there. Anybody tried that?

Is it possible to re-flash my japan PSP with the EU 3.0 firmware, whenever that's released. If not, will I be able to upgrade later to the 3.01 EU firmware, so that in future I'd be directed to the EU Playstation Store instead of Japan?

Yeah, you'll have to wait for 3.01. Through network update, generally all regions get the firmwares at the same time. This is what I did to get the European FW3.0. So next time, use that. ;)

Apparently we should be able to get the PS1 games to our PSP without the PS3 before Christmas. Let's hope so.

And looking forward to more Remote Play impressions. It's going to rock once you can do that over the web though - that's surely going to impress.

@crazy: when you're into homebrew, then you probably just have to stay with your homebrew firmware. It's hard to beat. That said, I have both and it tends to be my white (non-homebrew) PSP that is with me a lot these days.

About the remote play, I'd like to know some things:

- Does the PS3 need to be in some specific state when initiating the remote play from PSP? for example, can I start it even if the PS3 is anywhere in the main menu as straight after startup, so that I wouldn't necessarily need to open my main display the PS3 is connected to , to make some preparations on PS3 side?
- Can I use the PSP as a WiFi remote control for my PS3? Can I select a video file, Blu-ray disc, music file or photo on the PSP display and have it play on PS3 and on the display connected to the PS3?

These are the features I'd be using the most, and if these do not work, the remote play would be more of a gimmick to me.
Well, having access to all your music, video files and photos from anywhere is very cool too, but would be more seldom used because there really isn't that many free WiFi hotsopts around yet.

So apparently 3.01 is out already .. and again there are high hopes that perhaps 3.0 has a hole they quickly fixed :)

So apparently 3.01 is out already .. and again there are high hopes that perhaps 3.0 has a hole they quickly fixed :)

Well, you are right - I just network updated, and it says:

- Revisions to strengthen the security have been added.

What does it bring to the table? Since I don't have a PS3 and probably won't have one for a while and me, my PSP and Warioware have become inseparable I don't see me upgrading yet. Also since I have a pretty idea of what it doesn't http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/testing_ps3_rem.htmlI'd like to know what its possible right now.

That blog you linked to pretty much covers what it can do, what it brings to the table.

- Does the PS3 need to be in some specific state when initiating the remote play from PSP? for example, can I start it even if the PS3 is anywhere in the main menu as straight after startup, so that I wouldn't necessarily need to open my main display the PS3 is connected to , to make some preparations on PS3 side?

Currently, the PS3 has to be in Remote Play mode, which you put it in through the XMB. What you mention would be a very nice feature, though I could see issues of the system being in use (even while the XMB) by someone, and someone else trying to initiate Remote Play (though I can see a few easy solutions to this). That would only apply to multi-user environments, of course, but its something they'll probably have to take into consideration, particularly if they add support to access it via the internet from anywhere.

- Can I use the PSP as a WiFi remote control for my PS3? Can I select a video file, Blu-ray disc, music file or photo on the PSP display and have it play on PS3 and on the display connected to the PS3?

Nope. Not yet at least.

These are the features I'd be using the most, and if these do not work, the remote play would be more of a gimmick to me.
Well, having access to all your music, video files and photos from anywhere is very cool too, but would be more seldom used because there really isn't that many free WiFi hotsopts around yet.

Yeah, in your situation you probably won't be very pleased with it. However, setting it up and seeing it work in person without any hassle is just mighty impressive, even the way it is now. Like I said, the future looks quite bright.

Actually from what I hear 3.0 has already been cracked. I won't get into details here, but it looks like it was a big hole if it took less than 2 days to crack.

Flashed my JP PSP that I had previously flashed with the JP 3.0 firmware, with the EU 3.01 firmware.
I still get the japanese PSP website when accessed directly from the bookmarks, and the new "i-something" link also directs to the japanese site.
Does this mean I'm now permanently cursed with the japanese PSP store link in my PSP, so that I will not be able to access the EU PSP Store whenever that is opened?

Actually from what I hear 3.0 has already been cracked. I won't get into details here, but it looks like it was a big hole if it took less than 2 days to crack.

All I've heard is that the psardump or whatever now supports 3.0 and 3.01 which is ways off from cracking the firmware itself.

Back