PSP Casting

McFly

Veteran
Om Malik points out the launch of Sony PSP in US could actually turn Sony's fortunes around and thinks that new unqiue applications like Sajeeth Cherian's latest software, PSP Video 9, might be the real reason. Cherian created Videora bit torrent client's new hack, PSP Video 9. It takes any video and turns it into a format that PSP can read. So now you can download videos using Videora, and then convert them to PSP friendly format within a few seconds.He calls this PSP casting.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/03/21/1220209.shtml?tid=95&tid=10

http://www.pspvideo9.com/pspcasting.html

wideCast.jpg

PSPcasting

Introduction

There are tons of videos available for download from the internet. Unfortunately, nearly all of it is unplayable on the PSP. Wouldn't it be cool if you could automatically download, convert and copy these videos to your PSP for later playback? Well now you can.

Enter PSPcasting. Automatically downloading video files for viewing on a PSP at the your convenience.

Videora + PSP Video 9 represent the first pspcasting solution. Videora is used to automatically download video you want from the internet by utilizing BitTorrent and RSS technology. PSP Video 9 then automatically converts these videos into the video format that the PSP understands and automatically copies these videos to your PSP.

So who will buy DVD priced UMD movies again? ;)

Fredi

whaaa cool! wonder what we are going to see in the future regarding psp

hopes for emus ;)

I thought PSP would have already come with software to allow you to make any video playable on it..

jvd said:
If i was a movie studio working with sony on bluray i would not like this at all .
What the Blue-Ray consortium has anything to do with this exactly?

Vysez said:
jvd said:
If i was a movie studio working with sony on bluray i would not like this at all .
What the Blue-Ray consortium has anything to do with this exactly?

I wouldn't like a company that is handling the future of a media format making tools to rip that same media .

I dunno about you but if i was running a multi billion dollar movie studio I wouldn't like a 250$ device capable playing illegal media and coming with the software to do it

well a modified 149$ xbox can play 37different formats.. what did they do about that? nothing, just the regular bustin of movie piratz

thats not gonna change by that

jvd said:
I wouldn't like a company that is handling the future of a media format making tools to rip that same media .
This software is not made by Sony.

jvd said:
I dunno about you but if i was running a multi billion dollar movie studio I wouldn't like a 250$ device capable playing illegal media and coming with the software to do it
Well, first, it doesn't come with the software to do it, and if you want to rip a DVD you still have to break the DRM; Secondly, I still don't see what the Blue-ray group, you mentioned, has to do with this.

Gamasutra said:
March 16, 2005

Sony Reveals New PSP-Compatible PSX Models

With the cancellation of the current models of the PSX multimedia device, many analysts assumed that Sony were quietly drawing a veil over the whole product line. However, the company has now announced two new Japanese models: the DESR-5700 and DESR-7700.

Revealed for the first time on Sony’s Japanese website, the main new functionality for the machines is the ability to output video, via a memory stick, which can then be read and used by the new PSP console.

This should allow users to record television programs via the PSX, record them and play them back on the PSP. However, this feature is reportedly limited by the amount of space on the standard sized memory stick and by the length of time need to encode the video – more than an hour for 20 minutes of programming, according to some reports.

As with the previous models, the only difference between the two machines is the size of the hard drive, with the cheaper 5700 containing a 160Gb drive and the 7700 a 250Gb unit.

Despite this new announcement, there is still no indication of if and when the PSX could be released in the West - it seems likely that the technology will remain Japanese-only unless these models are an unexpected success. With the relatively small number of PSPs so far sold in Japan and the easy availability of PC and Mac video encoders, this seems fairly unlikely.

Now this is nice. Record shows off of TV then copy it to the PSP. Now all we need guys are some bigger and cheaper memory sticks and we will be in PSP heaven. Watch Sandisk stock go up by 50% in two months. :)
________
Om615

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty Geezer said:
Though a nice feature/smart addition, it sounds like it might be crippled...
gi.biz said:
by the reportedly slow speed at which the system encodes video for the PSP, which means it could take more than an hour to save a 20 minute TV show onto a Memory Stick.
I guess 66 million polys/sec isn't any good at MPEG4 encoding!

mckmas8808 said:
I truly wonder if that statement is true or not. 1 hour for a 20 minute episode is just pure craziness.

aye it takes me about an hour and 50 mins for a mpeg 4 movie to mpeg 2 on dvd . Things like aviator only took that long .

But mabye this version isn't optimized yet or mabye the psp is just not good at video encoding .

jvd said:
mckmas8808 said:
I truly wonder if that statement is true or not. 1 hour for a 20 minute episode is just pure craziness.

aye it takes me about an hour and 50 mins for a mpeg 4 movie to mpeg 2 on dvd . Things like aviator only took that long .

But mabye this version isn't optimized yet or mabye the psp is just not good at video encoding .

What I quoted was how long it takes for a PSX to encode PSP movies. If you have a pc then of course it would be faster depending on the PC and software.

I haven't done that much movie encoding, even less on a PSP, but with my A64 3000+ PC with 512MB ram and 9600XT vid I've done some.
I've used mainly that TMPEG or something, and dvdshrink.
Both of them take hours encoding to a different format, on a fast PC.
At least twice the running time of the movie.
I might have wrong settings, I'm no expert on these software, but if the PSP does Aviator dvd in about two hours, that's not too bad.
(Edit: sorry jvd, I quess you weren't encoding it on PSP? Anyway 1 hour for 20 min episode still sounds reasonable)

What is the fastest you can convert say a ripped movie from dvd to PSP using current consumer hw and sw? What's the best sw to do that on a PC?

Maybe I'm missing something but from the diagram above, the encoding software is running on a PC not a PSP so the PSP is not doing any encoding since it's just an output/display device for playing back the PC enconded video clip.

Also encoding time depends on the output format and output quality. On my PC which is an old PIII 600MHz, I can encode a 90 min DVD movie into a VCD in about 4-5 hours at normal quality.

PC-Engine said:
Also encoding time depends on the output format and output quality. On my PC which is an old PIII 600MHz, I can encode a 90 min DVD movie into a VCD in about 4-5 hours at normal quality.

Ok, 600Mhz, encoding Mpeg4 could take a while :)

Back