PS5 Pro *spawn

It's partially the USD. The USD is up against most major currencies since late 2020.

BOM likely isn't the only consideration. If they feel there is low volume than any fixed costs are going to be amortized over less units, and therefore you need margins per unit.

The disk drive calculation likely has always been less about actual BOM but opportunity cost (or potential profit).

A no disk version only with an add-on would simplify inventory, a lower price increase in terms of optics, better capture of opportunity cost from "hardcore" physical media buyers.

It's partially the USD. The USD is up against most major currencies since late 2020.

BOM likely isn't the only consideration. If they feel there is low volume than any fixed costs are going to be amortized over less units, and therefore you need margins per unit.

The disk drive calculation likely has always been less about actual BOM but opportunity cost (or potential profit).

A no disk version only with an add-on would simplify inventory, a lower price increase in terms of optics, better capture of opportunity cost from "hardcore" physical media buyers.
I understand that inflation and concurrencies are a challenge, but they are making like 800$/€ in revenue per user this gen, losing 50$/€ per unit is not that big of a deal, or at least it shouldn't. What is Valve waiting for, go make some consoles with steam os and distribute it in physical stores, I wonder how that would go.

Could be worse. You could be a prospective buyer of the PS5 in Japan where the PS5 went for ~55k yen at launch but now goes for close to 80K.

I largely agree in terms of Pro utilisation mirroring that of the PS4 Pro. Quick and dirty is going to be most prevalent, by far.

Which internal documents are you referring to when you state the 40-50% improvement in raw performance? I was under the impression that we were looking at a jump from 36 active CU'S to 60, and so I was expecting - even when quick and dirty - 1.6x the raw performance of the base PS5.

All good points. The reason I cited a ~40% CU increase is because that's the best case, real world scenario that I seem to recall being brought up in either a forum or an article discussing (I think) Nvidia's implementation.

I'm not familiar enough with dual issue SIMD to speak authoritatively on the matter. From the bit of reading I've done on it, Nvidia's implementation fares better on PC but there's speculation that shaders tailored to AMD's would improve performance on AMD cards. Naturally, that won't happen in the PC space because Nvidia's the big dog there.

Certainly, doubling performance per CU won't happen, although it'll probably end up marketed that way. But I'm also not terribly convinced that current PC data paints the full picture. Greater than the 5-10% improvement mentioned in above posts seems likely (albeit not for all games/engines,) but ~40% seems to be the absolute ceiling.
The Sony developer documents that leaked out earlier this year, or maybe it was last year. 40-50% more general GPU perf and up to 2-4x in RT operations.

Yeah, no disc is discounted because there's no physical copy resale, so Sony gets more digital game sales with each one (which are also higher profit margin on their first party titles). BOM for disc definitely isn't $50, but they're still happy enough driving people towards digital.

$549 for discless sounds entirely plausible, PS5 Pro is a "premium" version, but not so premium that they can charge a ton for it, otherwise why not go buy a PC?

$549 for discless sounds entirely plausible, PS5 Pro is a "premium" version, but not so premium that they can charge a ton for it, otherwise why not go buy a PC?
problem is ps5pro even at 700$ would put to dust all current pc at this price and sony knows it

problem is ps5pro even at 700$ would put to dust all current pc at this price and sony knows it
I don't think it matters as that is way too expensive for the console market. It will be an absolute flop at $700. Even 600$ will result in noticeably less sales than the PS4 pro.

I don't think it matters as that is way too expensive for the console market. It will be an absolute flop at $700. Even 600$ will result in noticeably less sales than the PS4 pro.
As a mainstream console 100% but as a pro console I have bad feeling sony could calculate 20% of their fanbase can still buy it at this price

As a mainstream console 100% but as a pro console I have bad feeling sony could calculate 20% of their fanbase can still buy it at this price
I wouldn't be surprised to see them start off with that price to see what they can get away with. It gives them wiggle room. Not to mention, they know that PS5 Pro will be THE place to play GTA6 for 1-2 years with no competition... and that it's going to sell those consoles likely even at those prices.. So we'll have to wait and see what they do.

Perhaps instead of a Dualsense controller included in the box they could include a Dualsense Edge, which might help some people come to terms with the "Pro" pricing? 😅

Sales are already falling off compared to PS4. The software isn't there this generation to support a 500$ box, let alone a $700 box. This generation has been a disaster when looking at actual games.

The good old times when PS1 and PS2 were getting cheaper and smaller making them common household devices are long gone unfortunately. That's one of the major reasons the Playstation brand became so popular, establishing itself as the defacto console of choice.

The pricing of PS5, it's adoption and all it's games being available on PC is slowly phasing it out and making it more and more irrelevant in consumer minds

The good old times when PS1 and PS2 were getting cheaper and smaller making them common household devices are long gone unfortunately. That's one of the major reasons the Playstation brand became so popular, establishing itself as the defacto console of choice.

The pricing of PS5, it's adoption and all it's games being available on PC is slowly phasing it out and making it more and more irrelevant in consumer minds
Games coming to PC is not a meaningful factor. A tiny selection of games were released on PC. Usually significantly later and to very low sales compared to their PS counterparts. Only Helldivers 2 did well. Likely because that is the type of game that caters to the streaming, MP focused PC playerbase.

The lack of price drops is certainly a major factor though.

How is this different to any other new console vs whole new PC from scratch calculation?

Its always been way cheaper to buy a new console at point of launch than an equivalently performant PC. It's still true of the PS5 now, so I don't see a Pro being essential in this respect. The Pro simply moves the bar a bit in terms of how much you would need to spend on either a new PC or a PC upgrade to exceed it.

And I say a bit because the Pro doesn't appreciably move the needle on anything but GPU performance, so the cost differential it brings to the new PC equation is probably only another $100-$200 over beating the base PS5.

Meanwhile, because of the relatively old CPU there are probably 50m + PC's out there that could exceed PS5P performance with a simple GPU upgrade that would cost less than buying the PS5P itself. Say something along the lines of an 8700XT (or NV equivalent) for $500.

How is this different to any other new console vs whole new PC from scratch calculation?

Its always been way cheaper to buy a new console at point of launch than an equivalently performant PC. It's still true of the PS5 now, so I don't see a Pro being essential in this respect. The Pro simply moves the bar a bit in terms of how much you would need to spend on either a new PC or a PC upgrade to exceed it.

And I say a bit because the Pro doesn't appreciably move the needle on anything but GPU performance, so the cost differential it brings to the new PC equation is probably only another $100-$200 over beating the base PS5.

Meanwhile, because of the relatively old CPU there are probably 50m + PC's out there that could exceed PS5P performance with a simple GPU upgrade that would cost less than buying the PS5P itself. Say something along the lines of an 8700XT (or NV equivalent) for $500.
people keep forgetting that the CPU is essentially the same in the PS5pro - all those games that are CPU limited below 60 fps are going to be essentially the same on that machine.

Back