PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I initially understood it, uppon release of the first neo rumors (then ps4k), is that sony only wanted to make a PS4K ala xboneS. Shrink the chip, add 4k movie playback, incorporate the PSVR outside box into the machine itself, and callit a day. Simultaneously, sony also had this future vision of making a 1.5 console that their new streamlined architecture aproach allowed, and maybe even easying into the rolling gen model everyone has discussed to death.
Uppon noticing that a plain shrink and a redesign with 2x the gpu grunt would cost the same, sony decided to jump into the 1.5 thing sooner, and use the grunt to render games just barely above 1080p and stretch the sucker into a 4k output so they can get a true 4k machine: movies AND games. That sequence of events is entirely my speculation, but it made sense to me. The rumors of an actual ps4 slim that plays 4k movies but not ps4neo enhancements makes all that less credible though.
With the ps slim in the picture, I do think a neo was not necessary right now. Not with sony in such a good lead. Yet, if there has to be a Neo, concentrating their message in 4k is the best aproach in my oppinion.

Man, that's a difficult one to follow...

UpUpDownDownLeftRightLeftRightBAStart

the cheaters revolution.

Two girls one Up
What's UpDawg
Uprah Winfrey

Two Uprahs one Up... aaaaahhh! Don't think about this one!

Last edited:
It's weird that in the leak docs Sony said upscaling 1440p doesn't look good enough, and they recommend checkboard instead. Those two are ending up with the same performance requirements, the same number of pixels.

Maybe the checkboard method can also be non-uniform like the way they improved the target resolution on PSVR (full res in the center, lower resolution at the edges). Or maybe time dithering makes it look almost as good?

It's weird that in the leak docs Sony said upscaling 1440p doesn't look good enough, and they recommend checkboard instead. Those two are ending up with the same performance requirements, the same number of pixels.

Maybe the checkboard method can also be non-uniform like the way they improved the target resolution on PSVR (full res in the center, lower resolution at the edges). Or maybe time dithering makes it look almost as good?

They're not really the same though. Ubisoft's checkerboard rendering is a reconstructive temporal technique. The end result is much more like native 4k rendering than 1440p would be.

I could get a 1TB Model with UC4 for so cheap right now(Oldest PS4 model though) but I still feel like waiting a bit will give me the better option. Dmanit sony don't play with my hear!

Was just wondering what peoples thoughts here may be.
In the leaked docs, it mentions about getting to 2160p and if having issues possibly using alternative rendering methods like checker board rendering.
Is that due to TF or bandwidth?
Am I mistaken in believing it could help with either/both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back