PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What first games will be captured with neo mode? It's October onward right. So that means Titanfall 2, COD, BF1 should be "optimized" for neo.

From what I recall, pretty much every game shown during Sony E3 will release after October so they're likely to have a NEO mode if such a thing exists.

I really don't think next-gen AAA games will have 4K resolution. Consoles are not powerful than high-end PCs, therefore console AAA games should focus on 1080p @ 60fps(or even 30fps)with high/max setting, since 1080p games always have 3 times or more resource than native-4K games to render each frame.

High-end PCs may have 1440p@60fps while SLI GPUs can have 4K@60fps.
I suspect a PS5 released in 2020+ would be able to do 4K.

Interested in the bottom one. I've always wondered why the right stick is still placed differently than the left. This design seems like it favours the right stick over the face button and would feel more natural to use in shooters and third-person games. Maybe reaching the face buttons would be weird?

There is however a new ds4 controller in FCC filings, should be identical but with some interesting differences with the RF part.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/06/17/new-dualshock-4-model-cuh-zct2u-revealed-by-fcc-registration/

More antenna gain, so it's stonger but more directional (3dbi instead of 1dbi). Bandwidth is now declared as the entire BT range (79Mhz) instead of one FHSS channel width (1Mhz). Could be new stuff, or simply a boring change in how the fcc indicates bandwidth of frequency hopping systems. Could be related to EDR or something.

s6kkPbQ.jpg

I like the position of the button 35. It would conveniently replace the L2 button.

Never liked the position of the L2 and R2 triggers. OK for driving but bad for action / FPS games (and the fact that those are analog doesn't help in action games).

So, would a multi SKU PS5 launch be any better than a mid gen upgrade? Say a base PS5 for $399 with mainstream performance then an uber high end $599 PS5 with a near ultra high end performance, that way we would have options right from the beginning which should cater for both the hardcore and mainstream crowd. Of course games will need to be forward compatible at all time but differ in resolution, effects and whatever, you can always do a mid gen upgrade later should the need comes up.
R&D cost shouldn't be affected too much, as long as the uber end SKU is done, the base SKU would just be a cut down version with disabled CUs. Am I missing anything here?

I would imagine it'd be hard to predict what SKU gamers would go for (as well as the extra expense in design etc) it'd mean more risk at production. Also Sony and MS both had 2 SKUs last gen and this gen they didn't so...

I would imagine it'd be hard to predict what SKU gamers would go for (as well as the extra expense in design etc) it'd mean more risk at production. Also Sony and MS both had 2 SKUs last gen and this gen they didn't so...
A mere hard drive space difference is hardly significant or meaningful tho. In any case I think they should give it a try, as with any business there's bound to be risks involved but no risk no gain right? Older business model would eventually collapse so change might be necessary at some point.

So, would a multi SKU PS5 launch be any better than a mid gen upgrade? Say a base PS5 for $399 with mainstream performance then an uber high end $599 PS5 with a near ultra high end performance, that way we would have options right from the beginning which should cater for both the hardcore and mainstream crowd. Of course games will need to be forward compatible at all time but differ in resolution, effects and whatever, you can always do a mid gen upgrade later should the need comes up.
R&D cost shouldn't be affected too much, as long as the uber end SKU is done, the base SKU would just be a cut down version with disabled CUs. Am I missing anything here?

Isn't that what they are trying to do with Neo and the current PS4?
I would be surprised not to see Sony using the same APU for Neo and OG PS4 (albeit a significantly salavged one).

Isn't that what they are trying to do with Neo and the current PS4?
I would be surprised not to see Sony using the same APU for Neo and OG PS4 (albeit a significantly salavged one).
Yes but Neo is a mid gen upgrade, if they have done it right from the start they might not even need Neo right now.

They may not have been able to do that in the past, but I feel that, certainly if these mid-gen upgrades are successful, there would be reason to try it this coming generation.

Two consoles with the same CPU and GPU architecture, but with one geared towards rendering at 4K, the other towards 1080p, seems like a good way of entering the market with a cheap next gen console for the mass market, whilst providing a higher end console for enthusiasts.

Given that Sony are now certainly mandating concurrent development for two architecturally similar consoles, the development precedent has already been set.

But it's just not worth it IMHO, it would just be far too expensive to have that noticable gap and it won't be worth the money...people already talk about the console VFM being questionable a premium model would be even worse.

I wonder how feasible it is for Sony to revise the Neo hardware to something more powerful considering MS's moves and that the HDD on the current consoles are actually PC parts with minimum customization

I wonder how feasible it is for Sony to revise the Neo hardware to something more powerful considering MS's moves and that the HDD on the current consoles are actually PC parts with minimum customization
If you believe it is launching this year: zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back