PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But then the games don't progress... That's terribad!

Isn't the whole point of new HW to enable gameplay mechanics and designs that weren't possible on previous HW. If iterative HW with incremental upgrades is the future of the platform side, then incremental upgrades to existing games will be what people see on the software side. I'm pretty sure gamers won't be too fond of that as an approach.
heh, well gameplay has been progressing and innovating quite a bit (at least in the indie scene where risk reward is extremely high). But I think you're referring to graphical innovations, which plays a lot to the immersion of games, but not necessarily shaking up the gameplay side of things. We are certainly getting better at game design and polish (see The Division) but if you're looking for crazy new mechanics or completely different ways to play games, the market has effectively killed all those things, those devices weren't good enough to make compelling games for people to want to buy and play over and over. VR and AR look to be the new frontier on that spectrum. And whether the console is upgradable or not, I don't think would matter.

We still don't know much about the thing, particularly how the cross compatibility between both PS4 models will work.

Maybe Sony will have taken care of 95% of the job in the SDK in order to allow easy cross compatibility. Like OK if you develop your game for PS4 at 1080p30fps, like most devs do, then here is the switch to make the game runs similarly on PS4K at 1440p30fps + freesync. Or a game designed for 900p30fps or 900p60fps will run in a few minutes dev work at 1080p, same fps (or a bit better) + freesync on PS4K.

I can understand the caution from the development side but saying it will be a "gigantic pain in the ass" seems premature and a bit hyperbole. Yes I repeat the word freesync exactly 3 times in order to make it real. I have no doubt my plan is going to work. :yep2:

Come on now. Actual developers.

Not Timmy and Jimmy, actual developers. No offence to you Grall.
Also the boss of Xbox said he was against the idea. But I would discard his opinion because he is probably also responsible for Xbox One, lol.

Nobody wants to get in line for a peripheral which cannot reach it's potential with the console hardware they already own. And this peripheral will cost more than the console hardware itself when it launched 3 years ago.
That peripheral is PSVR.

Not Timmy and Jimmy, actual developers. No offence to you Grall.
Also the boss of Xbox said he was against the idea. But I would discard his opinion because he is probably also responsible for Xbox One, lol.

Have you not followed any of the recent MS Xbox history? Do you not know that everyone responsible for the 2013 Xbox One hardware is gone? You should educate yourself first before attempting to make statements to others.

The current Xbox boss said he was against non major upgrades. They could double the Xbox One hardware power which would classify it as a major / big upgrade.

Something something
educate yourself first before attempting to make statements to others

Phil Spencer confident in Kinect"
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/phil-spencer-confident-in-kinect-its-fundamentally-different/

Xbox One was 2 things: Kinect, and TV. Spencer was sitting on a chair which costs thousands of dollars in a boardroom when he said: "Kinect is the future. We have to pack in a Kinect with every Xbox One."
Why he is not mopping floors at MS now is beyond me. He was probably the only charismatic person left at MS though, so they used his face to rebrand Xbox after the Xbox One fiasco. But to think he had nothing to do with Kinect 2.0 or Xbox One is, well...

I agree though, Xbox now is not Xbox 2013, 100% true. But back on topic; 2x power would be Xbox 1.5; a normal generational increase is 10 times. at the least. let's say 5 times because Moore is not applicable anymore. 2x would be closer to Xbox 1.5 then it would be to Xbox 2.0
So I deduce that he is against Xbox 1.5, PS4.5

So, 2.6TF (raw) about 1.7TF (real world)... bruh, I hope for bigger. Now, 4-5TF minimum is a great start...

I was going by the least minimal upgrade path they could take, which would still be a vast improvement. Yes, they can obviously go bigger. My point was the smallest update of an xbox one system would still be a Major upgrade, even if it only puts it on par / slightly above the PS4. So pretty much take the current Xbox Boss's words with huge grains of salt.

So I deduce that he is against Xbox 1.5, PS4.5
So that's how it works, eh? You invent your own standards (deciding what a "xbox 1.5" should or should not be), then you decide what opinion another person holds about a product which has not been announced and may not actually even exist, and pretend your own dreams is the truth?

Hooo-kaaayy...!

Forgive me if I don't fully subscribe to your reasoning here! ;)

I was going by the least minimal upgrade path they could take, which would still be a vast improvement. Yes, they can obviously go bigger. My point was the smallest update of an xbox one system would still be a Major upgrade, even if it only puts it on par / slightly above the PS4. So pretty much take the current Xbox Boss's words with huge grains of salt.

I was being somewhat funny about the reply... I knew what you were aiming at. :)

However, I'm hoping that Sony and Microsoft will deliver something more compelling than the current generation systems.

I saw on gaming sites that all developers (who spoke out) are saying that PS4.5 is a terrible idea.

To be fair, any developer that actually knows what PS4K is wouldn't be able to talk about it.
Something something

Phil Spencer confident in Kinect"
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/phil-spencer-confident-in-kinect-its-fundamentally-different/

Xbox One was 2 things: Kinect, and TV. Spencer was sitting on a chair which costs thousands of dollars in a boardroom when he said: "Kinect is the future. We have to pack in a Kinect with every Xbox One."
Why he is not mopping floors at MS now is beyond me. He was probably the only charismatic person left at MS though, so they used his face to rebrand Xbox after the Xbox One fiasco. But to think he had nothing to do with Kinect 2.0 or Xbox One is, well...

I fail to see how you can actually think Phil Spencer was the man primarily responsible for the design of the Xbox One when he was head of MS Studios when the system launched. Don Mattrick was head of Xbox and Marc Whitten was the Chief Product Officer. What do you think those latter two were doing while Phil Spencer was pulling double-duty overseeing all of Microsoft's first-party game development while designing the Xbox One?

The reason Phil got the gig post-fiasco is because it was a message to the market that they recognized that they screwed up by shifting their focus away from games. So they put a "games guy" in charge of the whole division.

So, 2.6TF (raw) about 1.7TF (real world)... bruh, I hope for bigger. Now, 4-5TF minimum is a great start...

What sort of techniques beyond resolution would be available to developers with this sort of power that can shut off without degrading the core quality of graphics available on the base system? Specifically, the type of settings PC gamers can adjust up or down based on their system's power.

What sort of techniques beyond resolution would be available to developers with this sort of power that can shut off without degrading the core quality of graphics available on the base system? Specifically, the type of settings PC gamers can adjust up or down based on their system's power.

PS4BSQ PS4 Better Shadow Quality
PS4HAF PS4 Higher Anisotropic filtering
PS4SXR PS4 Slightly Extra Resolution

It will be a great success I'm sure. Especially should they decide to run the CPU at a higher frequency.

I remember the (then) Xbox Boss saying a console should be balanced . I am pretty sure he would be against Xbox 1.5 or PS4.5 as well :cool:

Things such as tessellation scaling (a higher level of it) can be applied to the premium platform for better / more natural surfaces. Also, more robust post-processing effects and greater geometry scaling (draw distance) controls would be accessible for the premium platform. GTA V is one of the best examples on how well a game can scale across multiple platforms without core assets being necessarily effected... just ramping up certain IQ settings and post-effects does wonders on making something look brand-new or the advanced edition.

So what? Devs with no knowledge of what the machine is and what work would be involved are speculating based on their own assumptions, solely based on work and target. As described here, what if it's just a PS4 that runs the same games but in better quality? I've just revisited a couple of old games on PS3 - From Dust and Sacred Citadels. If I could play those in 1080p60 with nice AA, I'd be well up for that. And for that to happen, all I need is the same hardware just ramped up. So if PS4+ is the same hardware, just with more CUs and clocks, it'll run the same games with zero dev effort yet in better quality (save possible bugs). Nintendo, of all people, have achieved this in their handhelds. If frickin' Nintendo can make a hardware box that runs the same code, I'm sure MS and Sony can!

I'm fairly confident a lot of the reservations from devs are based on the same sort of negative assumptions going on here (or are trash, like that Bioware one ;)). It'll be a new console, hard to work with, split the user base, wont be targeted - views unable to comprehend that we're possibly looking at something completely new here that doesn't fit in with console history and there's no point looking to history or entrenched views.

Or basically, the counterarguments aren't against the proposed device, but assertions that the device delivered will be the wrong one and exectued poorly and mess things up. Which might happen, but some of us see the full range of possiblities and aren't just running away from something new and different beause it's new and different and we can't adapt our views to accomodate that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back