PS4 Longevity

Could the PS4 actually outsell the PS2?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • No!

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • This generation will be shorter (6-7 years)

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Well if Nintendo NeXt will be more powerful + have full third a party support + great online service + varied exclusive titles + "fair price" THEN PS4/Sony will be in trouble IMO and might never best PS2.

New poll: Will Nintendo kill PS4?
:runaway:

Last edited:
Well if Nintendo NeXt will be more powerful + have full third a party support + great online service + varied exclusive titles + "fair price" THEN PS4/Sony will be in trouble IMO and might never best PS2.

New poll: Will Nintendo kill PS4?
:runaway:
It won't be. Also I do not know how Nintendo will solve problem of HDD. It's a big constant cost and Nintendo does not like that.
Third parties won't make multiplatform games if it does not have one (open world games would be a problem).

That's news to me. I think what started people was your assertion that VR could be "PS4's death". PS4 with Morpheus will be no weaker than PS4 without it. Is better hardware coming? Sure, it always is but you may as well argue PS5 and Morpheus 2 will kill PS4.

What evidence do you have that it is resolution favouring PS4 sales? This is an unknown, all you can say for sure is that PS4 is outselling Xbox One.

They announced it at GDC .

we are talking about the longevity of the ps4 in this thread. Yes the ps5 will mean the death of the ps4.

A new console with more powerful hardware and a better hmd can only hurt sony. Sony gives a taste of VR and others put out a perfected product of it.

It won't be. Also I do not know how Nintendo will solve problem of HDD. It's a big constant cost and Nintendo does not like that.
Third parties won't make multiplatform games if it does not have one (open world games would be a problem).
stacked or 3d nand. Its set to drive storage space down greatly.

we are talking about the longevity of the ps4 in this thread. Yes the ps5 will mean the death of the ps4.

Sorry, I genuinely forgot what thread I was in. :oops: Going to bed now because.. long day!

Sorry, I genuinely forgot what thread I was in. :oops: Going to bed now because.. long day!
its okay

My windows 10 install in this thread throws me a system error of the display driver no longer working with my amd card.

only this thread...

That's news to me.
MUpNLdi.jpg

As for rendering, devs can choose between native 1080p120, or just rendering the game in 60fps and timewarping the 60hz stream into 120hz stream. I don't think visuals will be a problem for PS4, it has enough power for great experiences [London Heist is a proof for that, everyone who tried it was satisfied].

A new console with more powerful hardware and a better hmd can only hurt sony. Sony gives a taste of VR and others put out a perfected product of it.
yes but... if imaginary products from competitors will kill Sony.

I raise you "imaginary better Sony products will kill all competitors"

yes but... if imaginary products from competitors will kill Sony.

I raise you "imaginary better Sony products will kill all competitors"

are we not talking about the longevity of the ps4 which implies imaginary senarios ? Unless your a time traveler and if you are can you get me some winning loto numbers

The Wii, Maybe. The PS2? Not likely, we are talking about more than 155 millions consoles here and the PS2 was also a cheap DVD player and not much competition back then compared to now.

I think the longevity of this generation will depend on what happens in the PC space. If Windows10 and DX12 are really successful, and DX12 offers large gains on lower-end PCs, we could see more price competition for low-end gaming PCs vs consoles. Consoles may fall behind PCs much faster on lower-end hardware than they ever have before. Regardless, PS4 will be a huge success and Sony will have the money and resources to make another Playstation, whether that's in 7 years from launch, or 5.

PC gaming is a different animal and it won't cut into console sales much IMO. I think the mobile market has cut into console sales more than PCs ever will.

That said, I completely agree with Globalisateur. I don't think any console will ever sell as many as the PS2... too much competition. I think the PS4 has a very legitimate shot at reaching Wii numbers though.

are we not talking about the longevity of the ps4 which implies imaginary senarios ? Unless your a time traveler and if you are can you get me some winning loto numbers
I am, yes!
Vermont tri-state next week: 6 22 31 38 39

Whatever you imagine the competitors can do, you have to imagine sony will have access to the same choice. And the winning business decision will be the same.

The idea that a peripheral mid-gen would hurt sales is nonsense. It never happened with Kinect, Balance board, Move, etc...
Kinect-1 in 2010 helped sales despite it's horrible technology. Kinect-2 was much better and came out in 2013... it didn't hurt sales of 360 because the 360 already gained from the Kinect advantage and differentiation.

PS5 can still have a better version released at launch (like Kinect did), but it can also be compatible with the previous HMD in 1080p/120. They can even wait mid-gen for a noticeably better Morpheus-2 (retinal projection, etc..). In the mean time their competitors will suffer a lack of HMD and will miss the VR content for years. So whether they come out later with a better HMD is a gain for a loss. The same thing is true with coming out early/late with a next gen console.

I really think MS will have an oculus-style VR for XB1 in late 2016.

I do not see >= 500GB flash being cheaper than HDD in near future.

in june 2009 I bought a 64 gig SSD (vertex) for $300 that was a good deal. Now I can buy a 1TB drive for $380 and a 500 gig drive for $189. 3D nand will decrease the price even further this year as more manufactures release drives using it. Mechanical drives have a BOM that wont budge down further.

I am, yes!
Vermont tri-state next week: 6 22 31 38 39

Whatever you imagine the competitors can do, you have to imagine sony will have access to the same choice. And the winning business decision will be the same.

The idea that a peripheral mid-gen would hurt sales is nonsense. It never happened with Kinect, Balance board, Move, etc...
Kinect-1 in 2010 helped sales despite it's horrible technology. Kinect-2 was much better and came out in 2013... it didn't hurt sales of 360 because the 360 already gained from the Kinect advantage and differentiation.

PS5 can still have a better version released at launch (like Kinect did), but it can also be compatible with the previous HMD in 1080p/120. They can even wait mid-gen for a noticeably better Morpheus-2 (retinal projection, etc..). In the mean time their competitors will suffer a lack of HMD and will miss the VR content for years. So whether they come out later with a better HMD is a gain for a loss. The same thing is true with coming out early/late with a next gen console.

I really think MS will have an oculus-style VR for XB1 in late 2016.
Damn I can't get to Vermont in a timely fashion.

Anyway I see you posted a really long post. I just don't know what it has to do with the ps4 longevity.

Yes Sony can do anything MS can do in a next gen console , however it will negatively affect the ps4.

If sony releases a new console to compete with a new ms or Nintendo console that will affect the ps4. Either through people wanting the new hotness , development resources being split across multiple platforms or simply the ps5 will excel in something so amazing that it buries the ps4.

We know Morpheus's specs. They are fine specs for a hmd in 2016. We know the ps4s specs and they are the best 2013 console specs. We know that in 2018 or 2019 neither of those specs will hold up. So anyone who wants the best experience will migrate to new platforms.

The Kinect had no real baring on the xbox one or ps4 because it hit in 2010 and new consoles were 3 years away. I don't think Nintendo and MS will wait for 2019 to release a new system.

If MS still is far behind they will hit in 2018 Xbox One will have a 5 year life span at that point

Next gen in 2018... wouldn't that be a Dreamcast in the making?

Wait... is this about generation length or is it about PS4 sales versus PS2? I'm confused by the thread title and the poll title.

Wait... is this about generation length or is it about PS4 sales versus PS2? I'm confused by the thread title and the poll title.

Longevity: the length of time that something or someone lasts or continues.

In this case we're talking about PS4, hence the title "PS4 Longevity". Meaning, the PS4 lifespan is around 9-10 years or more (if the stars are aligned for Sony). Leading to the question "Could the PS4 actually outsell the PS2?" The option of "Yes or No"... even if the stars are aligned for Sony.

Hypothetically, PS4 can reach PS2 lifespan, however fail to match the sales because Japan is no longer that dominant force (consumers buying game consoles) it was during the PS2 era. Yet, there can be other territories to fill in the void (China?).

Or you could have simply selected the option for "shorter generation (6-7 years)"... making it somewhat impossible to match PS2 sales.

Last edited:
Back