PS4 Longevity

Could the PS4 actually outsell the PS2?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • No!

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • This generation will be shorter (6-7 years)

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Unless Sony gives it away below cost, people will balk at paying hundreds for a peripheral.
Not if it offers something genuinely better. Entertainment has been striving for immersion for decades: stereo sound, surround sound, bigger screens, 3D - all technologies created to put you more in the centre of the entertainment. VR is the next step and it's a huge step, it removes you almost entirely from your surroundings and let's you focus entirely on the entertainment. Be inside the entertainment.

VR is an adrenaline shot mid-generation.

For racing sim alone, VR is going to be a must-have, and Project Cars is currently in the process of proving it. Next year GT7 will seal the deal.

We shall see.

Depending on the price, I don't even see it being 20% of PS4 sales at the time it's introduced.

Then again, PS4 sales may lag without some significant price cuts.

I already have PS4 camera, so I hope that Sony will offer some basic VR SKU that will have only helmet/processing box and nothing else. I can see that being $200.

Out of curiosity, what are both of your experiences to date of VR? I.e. what you have played, on what VR platform, and for how long?
Only random demos and tests on the DK2 I have at work (we are... uh... developing... stuff). It got me really excited and before that experience I wasn't completely sold.

I didn't try any AAA games yet.

Oh and google cardboard, the roller coaster thing gave me nausea and I never tried it again.

Only random demos and tests on the DK2 I have at work (we are... uh... developing... stuff). It got me really excited and before that experience I wasn't completely sold.
Same. If you get the chance, try Elite. :yes:

I don't see how this would be a reason to end a hardware generation when it's still raking in boatloads of cash. The general public doesn't give a single fuck about nanometers or the kind of Ram that's in a console. I'm also pretty sure that 99.9% of all PS4 users have zero intention of switching their stock HDDs for faster ones. First order of the day is still to make money. Not to jump the shark because of shiny new hardware development. Then there's of course the problem with visuals having reached a ceiling that's gonna to be really hard punch through without hiring infinite amounts of artists. The perceived difference between the current generation and the last is already way smaller than it's ever been before.
I voted for the yes, but I initially thought that the OP was talking about longevity = sales. I think the PS4 can surpass the PS2 in sales, at this rate.

As long as it doesn't become a monopoly -if so, Europe please, sue them all!-. I can see it happening.

Longevity is an entirely different matter, 'cos this generation is a bit underspec'ed.

I've not tried VR, have no interest in putting something over the eyes.

A good game is immersive, draws in your attention, without the need to try to shut out the surroundings.

But my skepticism is more over costs and this supposed need for total immersion. I think people look for diversions so will have their laptops or phones always at hand.

The general public gives a fuck about performance / $, though. If MS reboots XB 1 in three or four years time with 3-4 times the CPU performance and 6-8 times the GPU performance, do you think it would affect Sony sales ?

Cheers
Mouth to mouth and hardcore driving and influencing the sales in casuals can make a big difference. I have a casual friend IRL which could have a Xbox One like me but he isn't interested in buying a console now. and had to say which one he is going to buy overtime I'd say it is the PS4, because he told me "they say a lot of good things about the PS4".

I've not tried VR, have no interest in putting something over the eyes.
This is, perhaps not surprisingly, a common view. But if I may suggest you should not be so dismissive of something you've not tried.

A good game is immersive, draws in your attention, without the need to try to shut out the surroundings.
I agree, a good game can can be very immersive and enthralling. Then on top of that there is VR. Where you are in the environment. It's in front, behind and to the side of you. There's nothing so clumsy as a camera to pan around, you just turn you head. It feels weird at first because you're fighting the instinct to look at the screen - this is from years of habit. After a minute or so, it's completely natural. Then you take off the headgear and return to gaming on a screen or TV and it never feels as immersive again :no:

Really, give it a try - grab any opportunity you get. I felt very much like you. Then I got to experience good VR.

Last edited by a moderator:
What surprised me, and corrected my misconceptions, was that after a good VR experience I understood the term "presence" used so often in interviews. It's not the same as immersion and so difficult to describe. (and DK2 have significant issues but it was just enough to work)

VR can be a shot in the arm or could be the ps4's death . Morpheus is a 1080p hmd @120hz . MS or Nintendo or someone else really can come out with a new console that can drive a better HMD with a higher res .

VR can be a shot in the arm or could be the ps4's death . Morpheus is a 1080p hmd @120hz . MS or Nintendo or someone else really can come out with a new console that can drive a better HMD with a higher res .
You're going to need to explain that logic. Having Morpheus with superior competition could kill the PS4. How does that compare to the PS4 without Morpheus? When has a useless accessory ever killed a console?

BTW.. Nintendo. Really? :runaway:

Wow, are you okay?:runaway:

You're going to need to explain that logic. Having Morpheus with superior competition could kill the PS4. How does that compare to the PS4 without Morpheus? When has a useless accessory ever killed a console?

BTW.. Nintendo. Really? :runaway:

I'm okay.

So Morpheus is 2016 first half . That's correct as of now right ?
2016 brings 14nm fifet from amd with zen processors . We also get HBM2 . It shouldn't be expensive to build a better console than the ps4 in 2016. If we wait for 2 years or so and go to 2018. Nintendo or MS could release a console using HBM 2 with a high powered GCN 2 or Greater and a Zen cpu.

You eliminate the weak cpu of the jaguar , your also increasing the power of the gpu perhaps many times over.

You design a HMD perhaps using 2 screens like the vive and cresent bay. Have a resolution closer to 4k. That way you can play games on a 4k tv or 4k (or close) HMD.

We saw the huge deal that 1080p made over 720p or 900p when we look at xbox one and ps4 sales. So 4k will be an even greater deal at that point in time. 4k tvs are dropping greatly in price too so 3 years from now the price should be quite low for a nice 4k tv.

Mean while the ps4 will sit there with a 2016 hmd with 2013 hardware running it. A future ps5 user wont want to use a 2016 hmd in 2018/19. So going next sony gen will cost similar. So sony will have to jump in to compete or deal with a quickly aging console.

So Morpheus is 2016 first half . That's correct as of now right ?
That's news to me. I think what started people was your assertion that VR could be "PS4's death". PS4 with Morpheus will be no weaker than PS4 without it. Is better hardware coming? Sure, it always is but you may as well argue PS5 and Morpheus 2 will kill PS4.
We saw the huge deal that 1080p made over 720p or 900p when we look at xbox one and ps4 sales. So 4k will be an even greater deal at that point in time.
What evidence do you have that it is resolution favouring PS4 sales? This is an unknown, all you can say for sure is that PS4 is outselling Xbox One.

Back