PS3 will not play used games?

Bobbler said:
I don't really understand what would make anyone think that all of a sudden Sony would implement a thing that they designed 5 years ago (and based off similar things dating back 10+ years). What evidence is there and what made a 5 year old patent make people assume such a wildly stupid thing would be implemented?

Even if the patent was new, what makes anyone think they would do it? Do you guys not realize how many patents are taken out on things that are never used? Dare I say, a majority of patents are like that. Its frivolous patenting; patent something that you might use someday or someone else might use. Companies come up with ideas and patent them, often with no intention of using them.

Currently there is no evidence that Sony would pull off something this silly with the most important product they have. Especially not SCE, which has shown no intentions of ridiculous actions like this in the past.

Go take a look at the DRM thread in the software section and then come back and tell me if you still think the same way

Brodda Thep said:
Yes been with them for many years. Probably a bit longer than I have been lurking here!

Thought so.

Before myself and alot of my old guild quit playing WoW do to its uber-sucky end game I used to peruse the Conquest forums. We used your map of Molten Core like 8 months ago on our first few tries to know when bosses were coming up. :D

It took me awhile to place where I had seen that name then it came to me out of no where.

Last edited by a moderator:
YeuEmMaiMai said:
Go take a look at the DRM thread in the software section and then come back and tell me if you still think the same way

Again why do you think Sony would do this after the patent has been out for 5 to 6 years. They didn't do it with the PS2. And they didn't do it with the PSP either.

Sony wants to get as much money as they can and that is why they will go to any lenghts nessescary to get it. Please read the DRM thread as they will even potentally screw up someone's PC to accomplish their goal.

YeuEmMaiMai said:

I surely hope you don't believe that's a valid reason for making wild assumptions about a 5 year old patent being put into use when there has been ample opportunity to pull a stunt like this all the way back to PS1 (look at the patents this one is based on, they explain very similar things and date back 10+ years).

Not only has there been plenty of opportunity to implement it already, Sony is notorious for having situations where "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" -- Different divisions at Sony may as well be different companies... Because Sony BMG is being retarded doesn't mean SCE is going to. I'm pretty sure Sony would be a bit more careful about its Playstation than to try to pull something like this, its laughable to suggest such a thing -- some of you guys must really hope SCE is that stupid, otherwise there would be no reason to even pander to such a thought. SCE hasn't given any reason to believe they'd do anything like this.

If it turns out true, hurray for SCE being as dumb as some of you hoped, but assuming straight away this is true (even if Sony BMG is being absurd at the moment) is silly at best.

Bobbler said:
I surely hope you don't believe that's a valid reason for making wild assumptions about a 5 year old patent being put into use when there has been ample opportunity to pull a stunt like this all the way back to PS1 (look at the patents this one is based on, they explain very similar things and date back 10+ years).

Not only has there been plenty of opportunity to implement it already, Sony is notorious for having situations where "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" -- Different divisions at Sony may as well be different companies... Because Sony BMG is being retarded doesn't mean SCE is going to. I'm pretty sure Sony would be a bit more careful about its Playstation than to try to pull something like this, its laughable to suggest such a thing -- some of you guys must really hope SCE is that stupid, otherwise there would be no reason to even pander to such a thought. SCE hasn't given any reason to believe they'd do anything like this.

If it turns out true, hurray for SCE being as dumb as some of you hoped, but assuming straight away this is true (even if Sony BMG is being absurd at the moment) is silly at best.

It didn't take long for their software to be used to try and hose up a PC

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/11/10/sony.hack.reut/index.html

A computer security firm said Thursday it had discovered the first virus that uses music publisher Sony BMG's controversial CD copy-protection software to hide on PCs and wreak havoc.

YeuEmMaiMai said:
It didn't take long for their software to be used to try and hose up a PC

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/11/10/sony.hack.reut/index.html

A computer security firm said Thursday it had discovered the first virus that uses music publisher Sony BMG's controversial CD copy-protection software to hide on PCs and wreak havoc.

I'm still quite unsure what this has to do with the patent or Sony's intention of using it on the PS3, no matter how big and bold you type it out.

If SOny is willing to install software that infringes on your rights what makes any of you believe that they would not for a second try to limit the used game market to make money.

There is a lot of BS discussion about patents being 5 years old but you are overlooking one simple aspect. The technology was not cheap enough to use in mass production until now with simple DVD writers retailing for under $40 and CD writers for about $20.

Now they have the patents and the technoligy at a cheap enough price point to impliment it.

YeuEmMaiMai said:
If SOny is willing to install software that infringes on your rights what makes any of you believe that they would not for a second try to limit the used game market to make money.

There is a lot of BS discussion about patents being 5 years old but you are overlooking one simple aspect. The technology was not cheap enough to use in mass production until now with simple DVD writers retailing for under $40 and CD writers for about $20.

Now they have the patents and the technoligy at a cheap enough price point to impliment it.

I don't suppose you're ready to drop the belief that Sony will do this anytime soon, so the discussion is entirely moot. You keep on believing that, and we'll see what happens.

Bobbler said:
I don't suppose you're ready to drop the belief that Sony will do this anytime soon, so the discussion is entirely moot. You keep on believing that, and we'll see what happens.

Well so far it would appear that I would be a lot closeer to being right based upon their current actions...........

Back