PS3 will not play used games?

Originally posted by ikachii at IGN

"SCE has secured the patent for a new disc technology that, if used, would not allow the PS3 to read used games for that platform. The technology was invented by Kutaragi himself, as well as two others

Details regarding the patent are featured here: http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl

It is indicated specifically that the technology is to prevent the use of used as well as pirated software

The technology involves actually rendering a authentication code originally encrypted on the game disk unreadable to other machines once the disk it is used

This would mean that Net-based and other such games will not be the only ones to be affected by the technology

Naturally third software developers would embrace this technology, and it would ensure sales of the inevitable "Best series" for the PS3, but used games shops would be put out of business if the PS3 were to become the primary platform in the next generation

While information regarding the patent does not specify outright that the technology will be used in the PS3, Kutaragi has gone on record saying that copy management is absolutely necessary in order to endure that no "Napsters" of the game industry create problems in the future "

Shamelessly copied from GA forums
Now I already know that there's no way this will be true. Sony is begging to lose most of their marketshare if they think of actually doing this. I'm putting this in the not going happen box.;)

What's a "used" game? That you can only play the game once or only after the first use on the console that it was first played on?

Either way, the used-bit doesn't make sense to me. The copy-protection bit on the other hand does...

Sounds pretty fake, unless you can write to the disc there's no way to tell if a disc is new or used or unless you have some sort of online database that tracks disc serial numbers and even that is iffy at best.

mckmas8808 said:

Shamelessly copied from GA forums
Now I already know that there's no way this will be true. Sony is begging to lose most of their marketshare if they think of actually doing this. I'm putting this in the not going happen box.;)

Dosn't sound correct unless the Blu-Ray drive in PS3 is going to be a writer aswell and not just a player.

I highly doubt this would effect their marketshare though. They would still release "platinum hits" titles if you wanted budget games. From my experience "used" games have such a ridiculous mark-up that you might aswell buy the new game to begin with.

That will never happen. Imagine not being able to exchange your games with your friends, or take the game with you and play at friends place and sure not being able to sell the game once you played it, and truth be toled, I don't see them goign down with the prices because of this, so no, it will not happen...

I don't think it'll be used for the PS3 either. There's too many nightmare scenarios for sony. What happens when peoples' PS3 breaks after 3 or 4 years and they have a library of 20-30 games that are now worthless? Not to mention the inconvenience it would cause people who bring their games over to friends houses.

The only way I can see Sony pulling it off, is if they make game prices so cheap that it offsets the bad will they would gain by putting this in place. Still, I bet they'd end up with a lot of complaints anyway, especially if the xbox360 doesn't have anything like it in place. Sony would be acting pretty recklessly to implement this with the PS3.

Nite_Hawk

Yeah and they wouldn't be able to rent games either.

Only thing that kind of peaks my interest is I remember Cliffy B. being all upset about stores selling used games, but the developers paying for the advertising... or something along those lines... so it is a concern...

The God of War developer also posted a big long (curse word filled) statement about used games a couple months ago. It is apparently a pretty big issue, especially with rumors of companies like Best Buy trying to get into the space.

Well this system would only work if either the PS3 drive can write to disc, which is not gonna happen, or if PS3 registers the copy of the game online so that that one copy of the game will only work on that PS3, but that would need internet access which not everyone will have or if they have it they might not plug to the PS3.

Imagine if they did this with cars....

Exactly. As stupid as it sounds is as stupid as it is... if its even possible to do with physical media. Actually i take that back. It may be possible that there is "validation" of some sort that the user has to input before playing the game. If the user doesnt call, email blah blah the game wont work. It could happen...

Still stupid. Have a nice day.

PG2G said:
The God of War developer also posted a big long (curse word filled) statement about used games a couple months ago. It is apparently a pretty big issue, especially with rumors of companies like Best Buy trying to get into the space.

Yes Publishers and developers are really pissed at gamestores making more profit than them and I don't blame them, I'm sure that Sony and others are thinking real hard how they can avoid the current situation, but this proposed method is way too harsh, but I wouldn't be suprised if something like this would emerge.

funny you mention the thing about cars... gaming steve on his podcast gave his opinion on this used games thing because someone wrote him an email comparing it to the used car used home markets.. it was a good listen and he did explain why it was different.

blakjedi said:
Imagine if they did this with cars....

Exactly. As stupid as it sounds is as stupid as it is... if its even possible to do with physical media. Actually i take that back. It may be possible that there is "validation" of some sort that the user has to input before playing the game. If the user doesnt call, email blah blah the game wont work. It could happen...

Still stupid. Have a nice day.

I did imagine.... A DNA testing system, if you're not the owner you either get electricuted or shot out of the car seat from a hole on the roof.

london-boy said:
I did imagine.... A DNA testing system, if you're not the owner you either get electricuted or shot out of the car seat from a hole on the roof.

ROTFLMAO. :LOL:

How about retina scans ala Minority Report?

PC-Engine said:
ROTFLMAO. :LOL:

How about retina scans ala Minority Report?

Of course! :oops: The true purpose of Cell's power and the next-gen eye-toy have been revealed!

In my best Robocop's ED-209 voice: "Please step away from the console; you have five seconds to comply..."

xbdestroya said:
Of course! :oops: The true purpose of Cell's power and the next-gen eye-toy have been revealed!

In my best Robocop's ED-209 voice: "Please step away from the console; you have five seconds to comply..."

Oh my god that is TOTALLY it!! That's why they're pushing the HD cameras thing... They'll scan us and if it's not us in front of the TV playing, the game won't run!!!11

Back