PS3 vs 360 Drive Speed Question

inpHilltr8r said:
CAV is faster, but less stable, and only works on one layer of a dual layer disc.
From what I remember CLV defaults to minimum CAV speed, meaning you get 2xDVD across the whole disc, instead of only inner layer. It's pretty terrible as an option for anything except video/audio streaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Criterion guys on their latest podcast mention that they find that overall it's a wash, that the outer layer is a bit faster on the 360, the inner layer a bit slower, that it's very convenient to have a constant read speed on the BluRay, but that it all matters very little.

[modhat]These optical drives threads bizarrely seem to bring out the worst in some people. Everyone can just pack any New-Year bad attitudes away and get back to B3D's best considerate and well presented discussion.[/modhat]

From what I remember CLV defaults to minimum CAV speed, meaning you get 2xDVD across the whole disc, instead of only inner layer. It's pretty terrible as an option for anything except video/audio streaming.
Apart from startup, we streamed everything. Audio, game data, video pre-buffering, and existing music over seperate video. At one point we were even streaming seperated music, ambience, and video with it's own audio track (although that went pretty early during layout, as no-one could hear the joins when we muxed the ambience into the video).

CLV only improved speed on the outer part of one layer, and even then, you got a significantly increased error rate, especially on TOOLs, and older test units. Since I didn't even start layout until the end of the project, we had no idea which areas were going to potentially benefit, so couldn't plan on taking advantage of it. All of that meant that we stuck with the lowest data rate, and assumed that across the whole disc.

inpHilltr8r said:
Since I didn't even start layout until the end of the project, we had no idea which areas were going to potentially benefit, so couldn't plan on taking advantage of it. All of that meant that we stuck with the lowest data rate, and assumed that across the whole disc.
Yea that makes sense. And if you were doing streaming everything the peak speed is less meaningful. Especially if what you said about duallayer transfers is true (I never worked with DL discs, only speaking from SL experience).

More hypothesis.
I'm pretty sure as of right now BD is only CLV
I'm not sure if PS3 reads DVDs in CAV too, I think I've heard something about it the BD drive being able to read DVDs in that mode somewhere.....

Nope, we have an 8x BD-R/RE drive that's P-CAV...

Back