[PS3] Uncharted 2

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by DieH@rd, Dec 1, 2008.

1. gokickrocks

Regular

i think the complaint stems back to uncharted 1 and that is weapon balance where pistols seem to do a lot more damage and have better accuracy when compared to the rifles, the only downside to them when compared to rifles is the number of rounds they hold but thats expected...but read my post above for an extreme case of the spongeness

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Sorry I was referring to Ostepop's first sentence (about not wanting realism, just enemies with less health).

3. tha_con

Banned

That's just the nature of videogames. I can't imagine that anyone has come this far through this many years of gaming and has only noticed this now. I can't think of ONE videogame that doesn't require a suspension of disbelief.

I just find these "judgements" to be silly given the medium. Though, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not arguing that you're right or wrong, just that this is how games have always been, and it's unlikely that they'll take a large turn toward realism. That is a "niche" market.

4. Daozang

Veteran Regular

I restarted the game at hard, and now I'm just loving it :)
    The enemies are bullet sponges (lol, it sounds wierd!), at least for me it seems that way, but i don't mind a bit :D
    The game is simply awsome! Just reached back to the "beginning" and what can I say, it's been one hell of a ride!
    Here's hoping that the "beginning" is the middle and not the end, because I just don't want it to end, ever :shock:
    I was playing with some friends, and everyone was just amazed by it.
    I really think that this game is again, the game that every PS3 owner should have, just like Uncharted was when it came out.

5. assurdum

Veteran

Finished at very hard mode. This is the real difficulty to play uncharted 2, apart the final battle, an huge ass pain.

6. patsu

Legend

You might not want to quote his spoiler post in your spoiler alert. If he changes his post, yours is still exposed. :)

Yap, although I also prefer better AI to bullet sponges.

I'm on sick leave. I replayed the chapters from 16 onwards. This time I walked my wife through the game. She's suitably impressed, stayed to watch me play despite a busy work schedule. But I lost her after I died 3 times in a platforming. I forgot how to cross certain obstacle :roll:

Overall I think the game is great for busy folks. It's a tough act to balance core gaming expectation with accessibility. Very difficult. :no:

7. homerdog

Doh! :smile:

8. gokickrocks

Regular

dont think i explained myself too well,...im not necessarily arguing the spongyness or the realism of the game... i can bring a heavy down with a pistol to the head, but an rpg to the head, they shrug it off, yet this same rpg brings down a tank and the pistol doesnt ding it...

it boils down to a consistency issue

#1808 gokickrocks, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
  9. 2real4tv

Veteran

Just finished myself excellent game...the music really set the tone imo

10. Daozang

Veteran Regular

The music is very good through the game, but I really don't like the main theme...

11. deepbrown

Veteran

Every gun is a one-shot weapon.

12. deepbrown

Veteran

I think there's less enemies in U2 than in U1. And only the big guys
    (and blue guys)
    are bullet sponges - don't think any other character is anywhere near a bullet sponge.

And even big guys go down in one desert eagle shot to the head :) and
    the blue guys only take one or two crossbow shots
    - it's like a puzzle in itself :)

One RPG kills the shotgun guy. Two RPG's kill the big dude...and four RPGs kill a tank. Don't see the inconsistency at all...

13. tha_con

Banned

No, you were clear and I understood you fine. I'm just explaining that this isn't something new, and I can pretty much find an inconsistency in any game. Video games are created in fantasy worlds, they aren't meant to perfectly reflect realism, nor is it required that everything be consistent.

If you could take down heavy's with one hammer or RPG shot, then they don't provide much of a challenge.

14. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

I haven't played Uncharted 2 so I was wondering are those nice looking cutscenes all real time?

15. tha_con

Banned

They are mostly rendered using the in game engine. Some of them are real time, some are videofiles.

I've noticed sometimes the charater models change during gameplay. At times the textures on the skin will be very detailed, and I assume this happens before a cutscene (real time). Other times, it's just a general texture missing a lot of those fine details (though still very impressive).

But, to answer your question, for the most part they are video files rendered using the engine. There are subtle enhancements (i.e. skin textures, and AA) but the models, lighting, and almost all of the environment texture work is identicle.

16. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

There are actually some cutscenes that I thought didn't look as impressive as some of the realtime in-game sections (like, say, chapter 16).

17. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

Alright thanks for the information, it looks pretty good in-game from what I've seen, but those cut-scenes were a bit too good.

18. Cornsnake

Veteran

I'm sure we all have a slightly different opinion on what a bullet sponge is.

So far I've beaten the game on hard, and I'm about halfway through crushing. I know perfectly well how to take any opponent down. But it seems I just can't make a headshot every single time. And that probably goes for the majority of people here.

So if I unload a full clip of a AK in an opponents chest, I expect him to be laying dead on the floor. And if hit one of those gatling gun guy with an RPG, all I want to see is a big red stain.

Its true that games by their nature are going to have get away with doing strange things like recovering any damage over time. But most games also rely on a level of credibilaty to make the game world immersive and believable. So they shouldn't stretch thing too far.

And for a developer like Naughty Dog that has shown they can do good AI, I would have preferred they would add more diversive enemies through different AI behaviour, instead of bullet sponges.

19. homerdog

I never noticed any discrepancies in AA or texture quality between gameplay and cutscene. They both look equally amazing to me. :cool:

Heck, the best visual moment in the game (
    The Village
    ) was 100% gameplay.

20. deepbrown

Veteran

Like most cutscenes - even when in-game - they can enhance the characters as they aren't using the engine for other things. Eg. RE5, MGS4.