[PS3] Uncharted 2

OK. Quick answer: No. Long answer - rendered in the PS3 engine and then recorded as an FMV to play back so as to hide loading. Better lighting and shadows are due to there being more resources available in cutscenes.

If they were time, would the load time be really significant?

The cutscene looked amazing as always, the facial expression is extremely lively. And I thought the Ice cave has some really subtle beauty to it too, especially digging the natural looking SSS layering.

That's right ! No loading in Uncharted. U2 reminds me of Kill Zone 2 and MGS4 level of production quality, but those games have loading issues. MGS4 uses explicit loading while KZ2's in-game loading causes brief stutters. If U2 can achieve this level of visuals without noticeable loading, it's a clear leap from the rest of the pack.

In this case, they hand animated the characters again ? If so, I'd love to see Heavy Rain (mo-cap) and The Last Guardian (some physics-based animation, from what I hear) for comparison.

Every time I watch the trailers, I see new details. In the attack helicopter level, the small plants swayed when bullets flew through them. Reminds me of the foliage in Sony's tech sharing sessions (plants with physics). Then again it could be hand animated too.

But those games have loading issues. MGS4 uses explicit loading while KZ2's in-game loading causes brief stutters. If U2 can achieve this level of visuals without noticeable loading, it's a clear leap from the rest of the pack.

Well Uncharted 1 used cutscenes which were pre-recorded so that to do hidden loading & its the same in UC2 I guess. KZ2 has cutscenes which directly transverses into Gameplay without any black screen in between [they did a mighty fine job if you ask me] & its almost the same case [cutscene to gameplay direct transition] for a few places in MGS4 as well [no apparent long loading except the installs]

In this case, they hand animated the characters again ? If so, I'd love to see Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian for comparison.

Mo capped movements but hand animated facial expressions. [still looks better than Heavenly sword & heavy rain to me..& they both use mo cap for face expression :p]

Well Uncharted 1 used cutscenes which were pre-recorded so that to do hidden loading & its the same in UC2 I guess. KZ2 has cutscenes which directly transverses into Gameplay without any black screen in between [they did a mighty fine job if you ask me]

No shit ! I forgot about that. KZ2 is amazing and I still rate it #1 so far. The amount of visual effects and mayhem in KZ2 is insane. [size=-2]R2 chaos is larger scale but it missed out on the effects[/size]

& its almost the same case [cutscene to gameplay direct transition] for a few places in MGS4 as well [no apparent long loading except the installs]

MGS4 has explicit loading when you move beyond the map.

All the cutscenes in UDF were skippable. While their streaming engine is pretty awesome, they haven't used fmvs to load anything. Of course since they had a little texture popup in the beginning of some levels I find the decision weird.

they were (most of them any way). They just weren't used for background streaming. Game steamed before the cutscenes started, and continued after they ended.

Well Uncharted 1 used cutscenes which were pre-recorded so that to do hidden loading & its the same in UC2 I guess. KZ2 has cutscenes which directly transverses into Gameplay without any black screen in between [they did a mighty fine job if you ask me] & its almost the same case [cutscene to gameplay direct transition] for a few places in MGS4 as well [no apparent long loading except the installs]

Mo capped movements but hand animated facial expressions. [still looks better than Heavenly sword & heavy rain to me..& they both use mo cap for face expression :p]

Nah Heavenly Sword is on another level IMO - the emotion through the eyes and direct attachment to the words said is still second to none in a video game. Uncharted is the top of key-animated though.

they were (most of them any way). They just weren't used for background streaming. Game steamed before the cutscenes started, and continued after they ended.

Hmm... interesting. I didn't know that. I always assumed it was to hide level loading. [Hats off to Naughty Dog]

Nah Heavenly Sword is on another level IMO - the emotion through the eyes and direct attachment to the words said is still second to none in a video game. Uncharted is the top of key-animated though.

I think HS has the additional advantage of "over-acting" (like theatrical acting) and main characters with large eyes. So the emotion came across rather strongly, which I liked.

Ok let me preface this first by saying the GT screens looks better. :)

But in the second picture it looks like they lowered the texture quality in the background (even before DoF blur) in order to increase the textures on the character. It's very effective and does look better IMO.

Regards,
SB

But in the second picture it looks like they lowered the texture quality in the background (even before DoF blur) in order to increase the textures on the character. It's very effective and does look better IMO.

Regards,
SB
I'll have to disagree with you on that one. However, I did notice that they changed the pictures on the wall. I do agree that the GT pictures look MUCH better.

Ok let me preface this first by saying the GT screens looks better. :)

Regards,
SB

No, the texture quality were not lowered. It is because the use of DoF was more prominent. Just look at the candle lights, they were more blurry too.

Back