[PS3] Uncharted 2

At the end of the beta (with a reset halfway, though I hadn't played that much yet then, level 10 maybe) I reached level 23. In my best game I had something like 8 medals - I like those a lot. The most 'exclusive' medal I've gotten was 'triplet' for gunning down three enemies within seconds of each other (no assists) with the basic AK47.

I've submitted a whole bunch of suggestions to the feedback thread, including some more original game modes, a better ranking system (in Deathmatch for instance you should be ranked by kills - deaths, not just kills, because that's the net result for your team and determines how much you've helped them win or lose) and expressing my appreciation for melee and hoping there'll be even more variants. I'd love to be able to block during melee, so you can get an even more spectacular exchange of fists.

The beta was like crack for me, and caused me a bunch of far too late nights and I'm almost glad it's over because of that. ;) Look forward to what the final product looks like and what kind of modes and maps we'll see in that!

Evan Wells mentioned in this afternoon's interview that they will have a second U2 beta near the release date.

So it looks like I was right:

Evan Wells: We are only supporting online multiplayer. We didn't want to comprimise the visuals going from single player to multiplayer and to include a split screen option at this time would have meant making that sacrifice.

I dont think they feel they can do splitscreen on the game. (The splitscreen in RE5 was bad) They're aiming for very high graphical quality in the single-player and want to stretch the PS3 to its limits in the single-player campaign. They also won't want to have a downgrade of graphics for the co-op, so splitscreen just isn't an option.

and...ahem...oste was wrong

Even thought they are aiming for good graphics, you could theoretically just downgrade the graphics when you do split screen mode.

The only reason they dont add split screen is because it requires a lot of work, it has absolutely nothing to do with how high the are aiming in terms of graphics (as they can allways be downgraded when running split screen).

Evan Wells: We are only supporting online multiplayer. We didn't want to comprimise the visuals going from single player to multiplayer and to include a split screen option at this time would have meant making that sacrifice.

Strange phrasing. Will there be a time when introducing split screen will not compromise the visuals?

Strange phrasing. Will there be a time when introducing split screen will not compromise the visuals?

Hm...maybe their build their technology from the ground up for split-screen in the next game. Might be a hit, but they'll try and make it minimal (like MotorStorm Pacific Rift two-player split-screen.)

Just thinking about it for a second, the main problem with having two viewpoints would be that it may wreak havoc with the streaming tech, in that you'll probably need more memory for different textures in different areas. In terms of graphical downgrade (besides the possible downgrade in texture quality), I don't know exactly how much longer it takes to render two viewpoints at half-res instead of just one viewpoint at full-res, but I assume that some basic processing that probably occurs only once when you have a viewpoint may have to be done twice when you have two. There's also the question of interpreting two inputs and animating/rendering two player characters at a higher quality than npc's.

I'm kind of a layman and it probably shows, though. :)

Just thinking about it for a second, the main problem with having two viewpoints would be that it may wreak havoc with the streaming tech, in that you'll probably need more memory for different textures in different areas. In terms of graphical downgrade (besides the possible downgrade in texture quality), I don't know exactly how much longer it takes to render two viewpoints at half-res instead of just one viewpoint at full-res, but I assume that some basic processing that probably occurs only once when you have a viewpoint may have to be done twice when you have two. There's also the question of interpreting two inputs and animating/rendering two player characters at a higher quality than npc's.

I'm kind of a layman and it probably shows, though. :)

Well the co-op renders three characters at high quality animation and visuals...and multiplayer renders what 8-12? Remember ND has been very open that their animation system isn't any different in MP.

I really think it's about environment detail - it'd have to drop, or they'd have to change quite a lot in their rendering system.

Hm...maybe their build their technology from the ground up for split-screen in the next game. Might be a hit, but they'll try and make it minimal (like MotorStorm Pacific Rift two-player split-screen.)

I think that's basically it: they didn't design for splitscreen from the ground up. they probably just reacched a point during the design of the single player prt where they felt they had an opportunity to do multiplayer.. I think that if the multiplayer proves succesful enough they'll probably look if they can take it into accunt for the third game or a PSN inbetween release like Quest for Booty.

I think that's basically it: they didn't design for splitscreen from the ground up. they probably just reacched a point during the design of the single player prt where they felt they had an opportunity to do multiplayer.. I think that if the multiplayer proves succesful enough they'll probably look if they can take it into accunt for the third game or a PSN inbetween release like Quest for Booty.

They had MP in mind as soon as they moved from pre-production to full production, but yes I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny, but looking at those screenshots, I now realize how terrible it looks having an empty car without a driver in it (when GT introduced driver models, I was wondering if it was a waste of lots of polygons and effort - now I know I was wrong!)...

It's funny, but looking at those screenshots, I now realize how terrible it looks having an empty car without a driver in it (when GT introduced driver models, I was wondering if it was a waste of lots of polygons and effort - now I know I was wrong!)...

????:LOL:

Oops... I think I may have got the wrong thread when I hit the reply button... :oops: :LOL:

getmecoat.gif

Back