PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

If that's slim then I'm practically invisible and weightless... although it goes to show how big the original PS3 was.

ps3slim-unboxing3-r9nbw-rm-eng.jpg

ps3slim-unboxing3-cxngu-rm-eng.jpg

Without the power brick(s?) of course.

It's more or less at feature-parity with the new Elite. It's not going against the Arcade.

Sony doesn't provide a cheaper option, so depending on the consumer it very much is going against the Arcade. Not everyone wants or needs the extra features.

That having been said this is obviously a big deal when it comes to boosting the value proposition of the PS3. I'm very curious to see the degree to which this stimulates sales. It certainly got me thinking about buying a PS3 again. Not for very long, but I did think about it. ;)

Why must it go against the Arcade if the Elite is there as well ?

PS3 is targeting a different crowd from the Arcade unit. There will be overlap, but Sony is more keen to sell more downloadable content to PS3 owners. Not to mention the Blu-ray player will appeal to people who are keen in HD movies.

I see ArsTechnica updated its article:

[Update: after watching a few unboxing videos, it actually doesn't look like they'll be a power brick. There must have been some confusion on this question.]

Sony doesn't provide a cheaper option, so depending on the consumer it very much is going against the Arcade. Not everyone wants or needs the extra features.

Sure, I guess (but so's the Elite). Though if the customer is going for an arcade over a pro, $100 is too high a value to value-add away -- it's a weak argument in the first place and it didn't really work for $299 Pro vs. $399 80Gb.

unconfirmed as of yet.

yep is is definitely slim, just not much smaller overall footprint

I think it's fairly confirmed unless by "redesigned" they mean "moved out". :)

SCE said:
The internal design architecture of the new PS3 system, from the main semiconductors and power supply unit to the cooling mechanism, has been completely redesigned, achieving a much slimmer and lighter body.

PS3 is targeting a different crowd from the Arcade unit.
That's not because PS3 isn't for that crowd though, only that the price is prohibitive. Sony certainly are going for the Aracde crowd, and would much rather the 'Arcade crowd' didn't buy Arcades and instead waited to get a PS3. that is, anyone wanting to play HD games is going to be comparing XB360 in its flavours with PS3, and see that they can play HD games for less with the XB360 Arcade.

He says no external power source, though the plug on the slim is different from the PS3's, so maybe there's something special about the power cable.

That's not because PS3 isn't for that crowd though, only that the price is prohibitive. Sony certainly are going for the Aracde crowd, and would much rather the 'Arcade crowd' didn't buy Arcades and instead waited to get a PS3. that is, anyone wanting to play HD games is going to be comparing XB360 in its flavours with PS3, and see that they can play HD games for less with the XB360 Arcade.

Yes, the price will limit its penetration but I don't think Sony is targeting the Arcade folks. It's like asking is Elite after the same audience as Arcade, especially *if* Elite has a built-in Blu-ray player ?

They want all crowds to buy PS3s, of course. But like patsu said, are they targetting the arcade folks? Like I said above, I don't think the $100 difference is something you can argue down with value-add charts, so it's not even worth trying.

I'm seriously thinking about ordering old one before current supply dries out. The HDD difference is not significant, since my primary PS3 will have much more than both, and secondary will not need anything even close to 80GB.

Slim is ugly, especially with the new cheap buttons, not to mention total lack of linux support.

EDIT: Also, redesigned Slim's reliability is yet to be proven.

I am thinking of a white one. Saw it in a Japanese store in California.

Back