PS3 OS Resources.

Just because they never mentioned it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Anyway, DeanA is a certified authority on the subject having worked (maybe he still does I get my Deans mixed up) at Sony's Cambridge branch so if he's saying it's the case, then thats how it is.

I dunno. The dev I was speaking to would have mentioned it as he was trying to tell me everything the OS used in comparison to 360s which he heavily preferred over PS3s. Considering he was trying to convince me PS3s is worse, it doesn't seem logical that he'd leave something out that would work in 360s favor.

I dunno. The dev I was speaking to would have mentioned it as he was trying to tell me everything the OS used in comparison to 360s which he heavily preferred over PS3s. Considering he was trying to convince me PS3s is worse, it doesn't seem logical that he'd leave something out that would work in 360s favor.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence

Interesting excerpt from Wiki:

Argument from ignorance

The two most common forms of the argument from ignorance, both fallacious, can be reduced to the following form:
Something is currently unexplained or insufficiently understood or explained, so it is not (or must not be) true.
Because there appears to be a lack of evidence for one hypothesis, another chosen hypothesis is therefore considered proven.

Argument from personal incredulity

Two common versions of the argument from personal incredulity are:
"I can't believe this is possible, so it can't be true." (The person is asserting that a proposition must be wrong because he or she is [or claims to be] unable or unwilling to fully consider that it might be true, or is unwilling to believe evidence which does not support her or his preferred view.)
"That's not what people say about this; people instead agree with what I am saying." (Here the person is asserting that a proposition must be inaccurate because the opinion of "people in general" is claimed to agree with the speaker's opinion, without offering specific evidence in support of the alternative view.) This is also called argumentum ad populum.
An argument from personal incredulity is the same as an argument from ignorance only if the person making the argument has solely their particular personal belief in the impossibility of the one scenario as "evidence" that the alternative scenario is true (i.e., the person lacks relevant evidence specifically for the alternative scenario).
Quite commonly, the argument from personal incredulity is used in combination with some evidence in an attempt to sway opinion towards a preferred conclusion. Here too, it is a logical fallacy to the degree that the personal incredulity is offered as further "evidence." In such an instance, the person making the argument has inserted a personal bias in an attempt to strengthen the argument for acceptance of her or his preferred conclusion.

I'd sorta question the validity of a person claiming to be a dev and then going on to discuss at length and in detail a subject that he supposedly signed an NDA on with someone else not under NDA.

If he's a real Dev. Does he value his job that little that he doesn't mind losing his job if someone found out what he was doing?

Regards,
SB

Is he a real developer or someone who claims to be a developer?

I've met some honest-to-god, devkits-and-docs, registered, certified, and NDA'd developers that had absolutely hilarious ideas about the consoles they were seemingly working on. I ran into people at the *DevStation* that obviously worked on some other console that was accidentally also named PlayStation 3.

Just because someone is a dev, doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.

On the other hand, NeoTechni, name the document and section you found this in and I'm sure someone can acknowledge it.

Im somewhat confused here. Are we honestly questioning DeanA's profession or his technical knowledge on the matter?? If so that is borderline ridiculous.

Or are we questioning the validity of this developer that NeoTechni is speaking of??

Regardless, I wouldnt mind taking a look at this certified document.

Im somewhat confused here. Are we honestly questioning DeanA's profession or his technical knowledge on the matter?? Or are we questioning the validity of this developer that NeoTechni is speaking of??
The current problem is NeoTechni is faced with two trusted sources offering conflicting information. The solution needs either to discredit one source or to resolve the different informations into one unified common ground. The current weight of argument seeks the former, questioning the validity of NeoTechni's source, as either being a developer of questionable repute, or a developer of questionable understanding on the subject. I think it's safe to say DeanA's position on this matter is pretty well informed ;)

Just to be clear for those who don't know, DeanA works for SCEE's Advanced Technology Group. So he'd flippin' better have a good idea of the inner workings of PS3! :mrgreen:

You can't get any better than official documents. I've even spoken with developers, none of them ever mentioned it running on the PPU

I remember someone mentioned that the PS3 OS run on the PPU before (not just the SPU). The fact that the developers you spoke with didn't mention it doesn't it doesn't exist.

The "homogeneous CPUs" model on Xbox 360 is more mainstream and versatile. The hetereogenous model is more esoteric, and custom (You need to explicitly make things run on the SPU, or have 2 different versions).

I'm thinking that they should have just put in a memory expansion module into the PS3 like the N64. Memory is so cheap. Even if it was XDR I'm sure they could have worked out an affordable price.

It just seems to be a waste of time and R&D money to fuss over dozens of MBs of ram when memory is such a cheap commodity these days.

An additional $20 or something for an extra 512MB or ram. for example. That is cheap is enough that just like they N64 they could have forced gamers to buy it in order to play certain AAA games like Majora's Mask.

There were even some N64 games that would still run without the memory module but minus some features or a lower resolution or something.

You would have to have a expansion port with a seperate, very high speed bus already built into the console and waiting for it is the problem. In fact I'm not even sure it'd be all that feasible (at a reasonable cost) anymore, as high speed and tight tolerance as buses are getting nowdays. It was a lot easier in N64 days..

I think that joker makes fair points. As the 360 continues to maintain its position as lead platform in most cases and the 360's online service's feature-set is considered the standard, the PS3 continues to suffer. It's very clear (at least to me) that when a game is designed for the PS3 from the ground up this memory deficiency isn't nearly as relevant, but for most multi-platform games this still means that the PS3 is at a disadvantage. That doesn't mean though that the reduction of the footprint is irrelevant, but joker provides a good perspective.
There is no memory deficiency as of now. In fact with the faster memory a pretty big adantage. But basically a game designed for Xbox is always going to run into problems one way or another being ported.

And i'm sure party system etc etc arent that far away to burst the latest bubbles.

Considering the fact that we arent talking solely about absolute numbers here since they show half of the truth, but about a game development environment, how does the 256MB XDR + 256MB GDDR3 fair compared to unified 512 MB GDDR3 RAM + 10 MB eDRAM?

In what cases does one have an advantage over the other and (intuitively speaking) how much?

Surely 256mb 25.6Gb/s vs 512mb 22.4Gb/s are misleading when talking about the actual console specifications and environments.

They both have 512MB MB but in different settings.

They both have 512MB MB but in different settings.

True enough. There is no point mentioning general obscenities as one being "clearly" better than the other.

(And a reminder to all, the platform comparisons are off-topic)

Well I wasnt aiming for a platform comparison. It is unfortunate that the possibility that a comparison debate may start stands as an obstacle to a potentially interesting discussion.

Ignoring the platforms/the products their selves (as if they never existed), it would have been interesting to discuss in a pure technical level what each of these two settings enable, and which proves to be the best decision in certain situations.

Well I wasnt aiming for a platform comparison. It is unfortunate that the possibility that a comparison debate may start stands as an obstacle to a potentially interesting discussion.

Ignoring the platforms/the products their selves (as if they never existed), it would have been interesting to discuss in a pure technical level what each of these two settings enable, and which proves to be the best decision in certain situations.

Should be plenty obvious that what you're suggesting is grounds for an entirely new topic (NUMA/UMA/eDRAM implications). ;) It is so far removed from just "PS3 OS Resources", don't you think?

There's really not much more here other than joker's vague yet interesting comments on the topic and removing/adding game-level features, except if those modules use less and less space or more is revealed in later firmware updates.

Back