[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 *spoilers*

I'm only in Act 1 (wife w/2small kids can only play 1 hr a day), but so far this game is fscking awesome. Just did the Rat Patrol section (encountered first cut scene that annoyed me, which was Meryl's exposition on the PMC/ID control system), but man does this game look beautiful on a 120" HD projection screen. (not a spoiler, people have seen it in preview videos)

One thing that confused me. Right before you get to the Rat Patrol, there is a section where a helicopter is fighting militia. This guy says "get me an RPG", and I can pick up RPGs from deal militia guys, but it never shows up in my inventory, it gets sold straight to Drebin, and Drebin isn't selling RPGs. The militia guys blow up the Helicopter with RPGs, but I kinda wanted to do it. :)

Spoiler Answer

Remember, you have to equip items for them to show up in your inventory - even if you do have drebin unlock it - you still have to equip it (it counts as a large weapon, and you can only have one equipped). It's strange you mention this - cause thinking about it - I could swear I shot down a helicopter before I met drebin - and I'm pretty sure the RPG was locked when I picked it up - will have to try this on a replay to verify). Though I will mention that there are SEVERAL different spots to pick up weapons and items (exploration time anyone) - hell...maybe I managed to pickup and unlocked weapon :p

How do I enable this? I have BT headset which works great in Tekken5DR online but I can't get codec conversations to headset as mentioned. :? Is there a trick how to enable it or is this just not available from the beginning of act1?
I struggled with this at first too.
The option will be grayed out in the MGS4 options menu, if you haven't set the BT headset as your audio output device in PS3 settings.
All other audio will still come from your speakers I believe, haven't really tested it yet, but the option did became active in MGS4 menu after I set it up in the PS3 setup (I think it was in manage BT devices, not sure though... just look through the PS3 settings and you'll find it.)

I struggled with this at first too.
The option will be grayed out in the MGS4 options menu, if you haven't set the BT headset as your audio output device in PS3 settings.
All other audio will still come from your speakers I believe, haven't really tested it yet, but the option did became active in MGS4 menu after I set it up in the PS3 setup (I think it was in manage BT devices, not sure though... just look through the PS3 settings and you'll find it.)

Oh, I got it now. :) Just needed to enable it from options. This feature is H-U-G-E and really ups the excitement for me. :D

Just met Drebin... Awesome game!

Haha this has to be the most spoiler tag riddled thread I've ever seen. I've only been able to find time for about 20 mins of game time and I had a question.

This may be the norm on consoles but I find that MGS4 has a noticeably low framerate and is a bit jerky at times. I find it distracting especially for a third person sneaker but haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. Is it just me or are other people having the same experience?

Haha this has to be the most spoiler tag riddled thread I've ever seen. I've only been able to find time for about 20 mins of game time and I had a question.

This may be the norm on consoles but I find that MGS4 has a noticeably low framerate and is a bit jerky at times. I find it distracting especially for a third person sneaker but haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. Is it just me or are other people having the same experience?

Only during cutscenes did I notice the drop in frame rates and never during gameplay. Did you expereince otherwise?

:LOL:
Snake was tailed after all.

I like Act 3 quite a bit. It reminds me of the very first Mission Impossible movie.

Apparently you can spot that coated tailer...
:O creepy

MODS: Is it possible to have automatic spoiler tags like we have for quotes? Or is that our of your hands?

trinibwoy, I am having opposite troubles. Game seems to be constant 30fps but occasionally it jumps to 60fps. Slightly annoying but I live. :)

I don't have the game or a PS3, so I dressed up like Snake and ran around the shopping mall clubbing the security guards in dark corners. I guess the graphics were ok, but the story wasn't great and the experience was sorely lacking in cut-scenes for a Kojima game.

I don't have the game or a PS3, so I dressed up like Snake and ran around the shopping mall clubbing the security guards in dark corners. I guess the graphics were ok, but the story wasn't great and the experience was sorely lacking in cut-scenes for a Kojima game.

:LOL: Footage please.

Apparently you can spot that coated tailer...
:O creepy

MODS: Is it possible to have automatic spoiler tags like we have for quotes? Or is that our of your hands?

Hey! looks like I missed that :(
You mean when Snake is tailing the Resistance guy, someone is after him too ! I didn't see anyone, no cutscene showed up either. Did u guys realise that we can follow that resistance whistler from rooftops too, atleast in the beginning, I came down after that.

The opening scene with all the explosions around you, the geckos and so on is quite hectic (and of course for a big part is cutscenes). Could be that there's some slowdown in that section, but during gameplay and even after that in general I have so far enjoyed a very smooth experience.

(..)...as far as I know the rest are realtime. Easy to find out...shake the controller.

An even easier way to find out is to use the up/down directional button to zoom in and out to see if it's in-game realtime or not.

Shaking the controller won't work if you have a costume equiped or have camo-suit switched off.

Have you guys seen the "comercials" that play if you stay for some time at the start menu screen? Very "Paul Verhoven"!!! Love them!

I'm usually kind of cynical about game graphics these days, it takes alot to impress me, and I have to say, the MGS cutscenes continue to impress me, not just from a directorial perspective, but also from plain ole texture detail. I mean, you can zoom and there are little details everywhere, right down to reading manufacturer labeling on people's clothes. There's hardly any aliasing, the DoF blur effects look perfect, if it wasn't for this zoom feature, I'd swear there was some pre-recorded bullshotting going on.

Sure, the cut scenes afford the opportunity to totally know what needs to be loaded texture wise, but none the less, each and every scene had to be meticulously optimized with respect to system resources. It's the pure labor of love that you can feel when playing this game. Polished, in every regard.

yes .you can change channels too ,with X button.
The channel surfing doesn't work until you select "start new game".
Will the channels be unlocked afer completion, or under some other condition(s). It would be nice to watch them without waiting through the 2 min install every time I want to select the desired channel.

Back