[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. That's cool then. But an indicator would definitely make me feel less bitter about my reviving duties.

There are still some cool things bout being a medic currently though. Having a small bot follow you around and defend you is nice, and the ability to revive yourself after a while is extremely useful. Must be confusing to those who don't know about the medic unlocks.

Oh. That's cool then. But an indicator would definitely make me feel less bitter about my reviving duties.

There are still some cool things bout being a medic currently though. Having a small bot follow you around and defend you is nice, and the ability to revive yourself after a while is extremely useful. Must be confusing to those who don't know about the medic unlocks.

The SMG:p

You cannot bait me into trolling KZ2. I have an iron will.

Same thought here... but... fuck it.

I downloaded the beta on saturday and gave it an extensive look at yesterday. After some initial problems, my feeling are quite mixed.

Perhaps to get things off my chest,

the good...
- mechanics are really solid - feels and moves responsive, the way it should be
- framerate quite solid - as good as KZ2 on first glance
- level design like KZ2 and so far in this level, so generally good, some choke points, but fun
- more weapon veriety per class ++ nice
- graphics are good, sounds good too
- they addressed the party system?

the bad...
- game crashed my PS3 a few times, but it is a beta I guess...
- where are the MP customgames?
- quite confusing game-modes / level preference. Wonder how well this will work...
- not enough ammo - game needs engineers, but there's no real incentive to use the classes... (see point further down)

the ugly...
- Who in gods name okayed those new voices?
- WTF is up with the constant moaning when you shoot someone? Neighbors must have thought I'm an escapee from a mental institute... WTF???
- Why, oh why did they ruin the tactician class???
- Upleveling sucks - where's the incentive to use your classes if all you need are points to unlock everything?
- Did I mention that pathetic moaning? Sheesh...

So, some stuff is good, but some issues that IMO are quite bad. The upleveling sucks. I got into more than a few games where we didn't have engineers (or engineers that didn't know how to use the class) and as a result, kept running out of ammo. Picking up weapons works, but wasn't always possible because people kept dying at choke points so getting a weapon would get you killed anyway.

The tactician has become just about useless. The idea with capturing a spawn point might be something, but the spawn points aren't close to the objectives (search-destroy missions) so WTF capture it anyway? No one uses it... It's a huge shame they dumbed down the system. KZ2 was brilliant - why change things that clearly work right?

The tactician has become just about useless. The idea with capturing a spawn point might be something, but the spawn points aren't close to the objectives (search-destroy missions) so WTF capture it anyway? No one uses it... It's a huge shame they dumbed down the system. KZ2 was brilliant - why change things that clearly work right?

This map definitely favors the higs, it might be because it has the operations mode.:?:
I use tact all the time and is my first mission at the very start to capture as many before I die then to medic.
KZ2 method just led to the impossible where you literally place spawnzone on the target or right outside enemy base.

This map definitely favors the higs, it might be because it has the operations mode.:?:
I use tact all the time and is my first mission at the very start to capture as many before I die then to medic.
KZ2 method just led to the impossible where you literally place spawnzone on the target or right outside enemy base.

I agree - but with power comes responsibility. The great thing about being a tactician in KZ2 was that it either gave you a huge advantage or the risk of being at your enemies mercy if the spawn point isn't secured. That leveled things out IMO. Sure they certainly solved base camping somewhat - but base camping was more down to a combination of spawn grenades and badly setup homebases with weak defences (or choke points just outside the home base).

I played a couple of mission objectives last night (the one where the full level is open) and it was just too big to get anywhere. The spawn points weren't important to the objective and combined that not enough engineers set up ammo boxes, running out of ammo and dying as a result make frustrating quickly - especially having to go the full way from the home base again just to get to the other teams search & destroy area. And then only 5 minutes per objective...

Maybe it's better once the full game ships and you have smaller levels to chose from for the objective based missions - but I still see the dumbing down of the tactician class as a huge mistake. They effectively took one of the most exciting and challenging bits that made KZ2 gold out of the game.

BTW: I still hate medics. There's nothing worse than running into your certain death kamikaze style at a choke point because you're out of ammo and then having a stupid medic revive you right in the middle of everything - come to life (still with no ammo) and bam, you're dead again. Shit like this makes me want to put bullets into my own team.

BTW: I still hate medics. There's nothing worse than running into your certain death kamikaze style at a choke point because you're out of ammo and then having a stupid medic revive you right in the middle of everything - come to life (still with no ammo) and bam, you're dead again. Shit like this makes me want to put bullets into my own team.

There is a medic skill that makes teammates revive with more ammo and more max health, but I guess most don't use it yet. I don't think Kamikaze is a very good tactic when you can grab a dropped weapon or find an ammo box first anyway.

Yeah it is quite versatile. Very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's purely a stats thing right though? At least if we're not assuming you were doing bodycount (and even then, the points awarded to the medic balance out), then you being alive again means that the enemy has another target and bullets shot at you are not going to be shot at one of your teammates. This isn't always relevant, but it should be counted.

What pisses me off the most in online shooting games - IN EVERY ONE OF THEM THAT I'VE PLAYED - is that you are ranked according to killrate. It should be your net worth, e.g. if you killed 6 and died 10, you scored -4 for your team. If someone killed 5 and died 3, he scores +2 for their team, and that puts him above the player with 6 kills but 10 deaths.

That's purely a stats thing right though? At least if we're not assuming you were doing bodycount (and even then, the points awarded to the medic balance out), then you being alive again means that the enemy has another target and bullets shot at you are not going to be shot at one of your teammates. This isn't always relevant, but it should be counted.

In the games that I've played (and it's a common KZ flaw really) is that there are a few choke points where a medic can do a lot of damage to his own team (especially body count objectives) when reviving fallen comrades without ammo and right in the firing line of the enemies. It's often the case that these medics stand neatly in cover while doing so. It doesn't happen often to me (because I don't hang around choke points areas (unless I'm in the advantage) but when it does, it's huge frustrating event of being killed, revived and immediately killed again.

And I've taken out more than enough fallen enemies that constantly got revived again in a choke point area. Easy kills.

Arwin said:
What pisses me off the most in online shooting games - IN EVERY ONE OF THEM THAT I'VE PLAYED - is that you are ranked according to killrate. It should be your net worth, e.g. if you killed 6 and died 10, you scored -4 for your team. If someone killed 5 and died 3, he scores +2 for their team, and that puts him above the player with 6 kills but 10 deaths.

You're right. What is a step in the right direction though is that you get bonus points for killstreaks, best K/D ratio, fullfilled objectives and of course winning the match which helps you progress through the ranks quicker. Killing efficiently definately has it's advantages though.

I guess gaining points by the ratio between kills and deaths as per your example would be nice - but probably a bit too frustrating for the general public if they rank up even slower by performing bad. At least killing rate makes leveling up somewhat easy for everyone who plays...

N_B said:
There is a medic skill that makes teammates revive with more ammo and more max health, but I guess most don't use it yet. I don't think Kamikaze is a very good tactic when you can grab a dropped weapon or find an ammo box first anyway.

Ah good to know. That should improve things then. The Kamikaze style wasn't ment seriously btw ;)

There's one more thing I forgot to ask/mention:

Are games splitted up depending on who plays with move or not? Given they're they don't have much advantage over one another (which I doubt), I'm not sure it's fair to have them in the same games. On the other hand, it's not a good idea to split the userbase either - not to mention the issues of having a squad with people with and without move.....

Are games splitted up depending on who plays with move or not? Given they're they don't have much advantage over one another (which I doubt), I'm not sure it's fair to have them in the same games. On the other hand, it's not a good idea to split the userbase either - not to mention the issues of having a squad with people with and without move.....

No, GG have said that Move and DS3 would all play in the same online pool, no distinction and let the chips fly as they may.

I tried getting into an online game yesterdaynight by the way but couldn't get in. I couldn't even get the select region list to appear.

I agree - but with power comes responsibility. The great thing about being a tactician in KZ2 was that it either gave you a huge advantage or the risk of being at your enemies mercy if the spawn point isn't secured. That leveled things out IMO. Sure they certainly solved base camping somewhat - but base camping was more down to a combination of spawn grenades and badly setup homebases with weak defences (or choke points just outside the home base).

I played a couple of mission objectives last night (the one where the full level is open) and it was just too big to get anywhere. The spawn points weren't important to the objective and combined that not enough engineers set up ammo boxes, running out of ammo and dying as a result make frustrating quickly - especially having to go the full way from the home base again just to get to the other teams search & destroy area. And then only 5 minutes per objective...

Maybe it's better once the full game ships and you have smaller levels to chose from for the objective based missions - but I still see the dumbing down of the tactician class as a huge mistake. They effectively took one of the most exciting and challenging bits that made KZ2 gold out of the game.

I played for 6 hours yesterday. There were tons of engineers due to it being the default class in the demo. Ammo boxes were almost always set up in the games, but finding them was probably the most challenging part.

There is a new patch for the open beta, 1.01. I can't seem to connect to the servers now though, so I don't know if anything has changed.

Played a botmatch instead. A fully upgraded medic is pretty sweet. I like the M82SE assault rifle and M66 machine pistol.

I think they are in the same game.

There is a new patch for the open beta, 1.01. I can't seem to connect to the servers now though, so I don't know if anything has changed.

according to Gaf patch was to address connection issues but caused other connection issues.

Based on GG's response, they said the patch is only out for some regions but not others. I suspect they may have to sync the servers and clients.

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Ki...efore-posting/m-p/651159/highlight/true#M5330

Hi everyone,

So it looks like that last patch may have caused some issues, sorry about that. For those experiencing connection difficulties and network errors, we are aware of the problems, and are actively working to resolve them. Sadly I can’t give an exact ETA for a fix right now but we will update you as soon as we have more detailed information.

In the meantime botzone should give you plenty of practice for when everything is back online.

Thanks again for your continued support and patience.

Team Multiplayer

What a damn shame. I was really looking forward to playing this last night, but sure enough, couldn't log on at all, not even after trying for close to 3 hours. Was anyone able to access the MP last night (or currently)?

Apparently, some of the connection errors might be caused by some of the patches yesterday (didn't receive any notice to upgrade on my US account / European IP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back