[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one more day to go for us Aussies! Time to replay kz2 tonight and ready for the new imminent Helghast threat with unprecedented visuals and presentation:). Haven't been this restless for a game since Gow3 last year.

Just one more day to go for us Aussies! Time to replay kz2 tonight and ready for the new imminent Helghast threat with unprecedented visuals and presentation:). Haven't been this restless for a game since Gow3 last year.

Grr! Still stuck in the queue in the UK... But I know what you mean about being restless! I've just barrelled through ME2 in order to have the free time to play this.

And I guess that will be when the final judgement is called, once there are hundreds of thousands of copies out there all being played to death! It'll be time to resurrect the tech discussion thread and hopefully without the annoying trolling going on.

My copy i just ordered yesterday in the evening, just got dispatched this morning :D

That's why i love Shopto.com... come this time tomorrow evening i'll be all over this beauty.

I think i'me gonna go Move playthrough first and then buy the SharpShooter and play with that afterwards. :)

I wasn't comparing Alan Wake to KZ3, just showing what an actual realtime volumetric lighting/shadowing system looks like.

Can't believe those two paragraphs are in the same post :LOL:

Dude, honest question... are you even interested in buying or playing KZ3? If not why would you even care to waste your time discussing it's imperfections when the game and/or series means nothing to you? Why not head over to the Crysis 2 thread or one of the general game technology threads to share your ideas?

I'm just curious as to your motives for even being here, given your obvious distaste of the KZ series...:?:

You're complaining about people not comparing two games with the sum of their parts, yet you compared Killzone 3 and Alan Wake, but only focused on Alan Wake's volumetric lighting and resolution. You failed to take into account anything else that resulted in having to use a lower resolution (for opaque geometry). Alan Wake isn't using a lower resolution than Killzone 3 because it is technologically inferior, it is just a game that allocates its resources in a vastly different way.
It was an example. Plus, it's not like lower resolution affords one more performance for other tasks, right?

Does anyone know how tall the MAWLR is suppose to be, relatively speaking?

I didn't think KZ2 had volumetric smoke in the first place...?
Probably heard/read it in the GeoW2 vs KZ2 comparison. KZ2 used sprites just like everyone else.

Dude, honest question... are you even interested in buying or playing KZ3? If not why would you even care to waste your time discussing it's imperfections when the game and/or series means nothing to you? Why not head over to the Crysis 2 thread or one of the general game technology threads to share your ideas?

I'm just curious as to your motives for even being here, given your obvious distaste of the KZ series...:?:
I've said numerous times that the game overall looks great. This "distaste" of mine only exists in your imagination, where any person that doesn't think KZ3 is the best in every single technological area is a troll ;)

I wasn't comparing Alan Wake to KZ3, just showing what an actual realtime volumetric lighting/shadowing system looks like.

Gah... according to nightshade's post, that light rarely interact with objects, so it may be useless to do it in real time. I wouldn't use it as an "actual realtime" example too. People will simply find even more reason to hate it. :LOL: Plus all the negative traits the game has... they will invite troubles.

Back on KZ3... picking mine up at lunch ! I moved office and finally set up my PS3 yesterday (Yay !).

Gah... according to nightshade's post, that light rarely interact with objects, so it may be useless to do it in real time. I wouldn't use it as an "actual realtime" example too. People will simply find even more reason to hate it. :LOL: Plus all the negative traits the game has... they will invite troubles.
He's completely wrong. The volumetric lighting/shadow system interacts with all the geometry in the game.

kagemaru said:
You realize there are reasons other than "horsepower" for a game to render in lower resolutions right?

Actually, no? If you had the horsepower you would pick a higher resolution. You probably just wanted to refer to comparing different ways of dealing with a lack of horsepower. ;)

And crap, official release here is Friday too, though may still get it tomorrow or Thursday ...

He's completely wrong. The volumetric lighting/shadow system interacts with all the geometry in the game.

You might want to investigate in the Alan Wake thread first before boasting about it. Don't forget about the compromises too, [strike]like what you did here in KZ3.[/strike] Sorry, don't use your KZ3 approach in that discussion. Otherwise, all the negatives (540p, screen tear, ...) will likely derail any positive traits that game has.

Actually, no? If you had the horsepower you would pick a higher resolution. You probably just wanted to refer to comparing different ways of dealing with a lack of horsepower. ;)

Lack of horsepower relative to what? You can make a 1080p game by making everything very simple, or make a massively sub-HD game because of complexity. In the end, it's still the same "horsepower", just used differently. Both the 360 and PS3 are stuck with what they have, and are seemingly very close to each other in terms of performance, both being better or worse with different things. So if the Alan Wake guys trade resolution for massive overdraw and lighting complexity, then it's still the same "horsepower" it would have taken to make the game 720p with less overdraw and a simpler lighting system. The same argument can be made for Killzone 3 and whatever compromises they decided to make to fit in whatever tech they felt was more important for their game.

You might want to investigate in the Alan Wake thread first before boasting about it. Don't forget about the compromises too, [strike]like what you did here in KZ3.[/strike] Sorry, don't use your KZ3 approach in that discussion. Otherwise, all the negatives (540p, screen tear, ...) will likely derail any positive traits that game has.

I'm sure that whatever is written in the Alan Wake thread should not be treated as gospel, since, like in every other platform exclusive thread, things degraded into an Xbox vs Playstation war. What's with the passive-aggressive strikethrough?

Scott_Arm said:
Lack of horsepower relative to what? You can make a 1080p game by making everything very simple, or make a massively sub-HD game because of complexity. In the end, it's still the same "horsepower", just used differently. Both the 360 and PS3 are stuck with what they have, and are seemingly very close to each other in terms of performance, both being better or worse with different things. So if the Alan Wake guys trade resolution for massive overdraw and lighting complexity, then it's still the same "horsepower" it would have taken to make the game 720p with less overdraw and a simpler lighting system. The same argument can be made for Killzone 3 and whatever compromises they decided to make to fit in whatever tech they felt was more important for their game.

Chill! You're spelling out my words, not realising that you're saying the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back