[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
:LOL:

geez reading every post of yours regarding 360, you would think the machine is barely capable of eclipsing the PS2.

it's actually becoming humorous
Hey it's not my fault that 360 doesn't have the horsepower to render a proper 1280 x 720 frame is it? Who renders at 540p these days? it is almost ps2 res now that you mentioned it :LOL:.

Jungle looks wickedly good.

efrr5.jpg

:LOL:

geez reading every post of yours regarding 360, you would think the machine is barely capable of eclipsing the PS2.

it's actually becoming humorous
Let's just say Killzone 3 S3D renders just over 458K pixels per image (times that by two for left and right image for S3D). Alan Wake renders just over 518K pixels for one 2D frame in the same amount of time. It's kind of interesting/"humorous" when you think about it.

My copy of Killzone 3 better be in my mailbox tomorrow or I might have to go...postal! :LOL:

is the story really bad like some reviews have claimed?

It's not a strength of the game, but I could say the same about the vast majority of FPSs. Maybe expectations and standards were higher because GG said they'd focus more on that aspect of the game.

Maybe it's best if games have separate "gameplay" and "tech" threads. That way in the gameplay thread people can talk about the game itself or make omggreatestgraphicsevar posts every other day, and in the tech thread people can break the game down into details without the tedium that typicaly entails.

Maybe it's best if games have separate "gameplay" and "tech" threads. That way in the gameplay thread people can talk about the game itself or make omggreatestgraphicsevar posts every other day, and in the tech thread people can break the game down into details without the tedium that typicaly entails.

You're kidding yourself if you think the same defensive posting will not go on in the tech threads.

Don't we have this already? The problem is people that can't stand to hear/read good things others say about a game. For some reason, they believe a few issues keeps a game from being considered as something that stands above other games. These people separate all these techniques/feature into individual components, in order to say it's not better than that same technique in Brand X's game. Meanwhile, they are disregarding all the other things that are worse. It's crazy!

One example is comparing Killzone 3's lack of volumetric lighting to a game that does it, but only renders 518K pixels. Another example would be comparing Killzone 3's lack of GI to a game that has it; but it has terrible jaggies, poorer animations, poorer audio options, less particles, poorer gun models, less draw distance, tons of pop-in, a non-3D...3D mode, less characters on screen, etc.

Please explain how this gets us anywhere in the grand realm of technical discussions. This problem can't be solved, forum/thread separation or not, without using whole comparisons (or at least more than one or two components) of games.

It isn't about calm logical technical people versus emotionally crazed fanboys. It's about improper comparisons being pushed as if it's coming from calm logical technical people. And, that is infuriating!

One example is comparing Killzone 3's lack of volumetric lighting to a game that does it, but only renders 518K pixels. Another example would be comparing Killzone 3's lack of GI to a game that has it; but it has terrible jaggies, poorer animations, poorer audio options, less particles, poorer gun models, less draw distance, tons of pop-in, a non-3D...3D mode, less characters on screen, etc.

Please explain how this gets us anywhere in the grand realm of technical discussions. This problem can't be solved, forum/thread separation or not, without using whole comparisons (or at least more than one or two components) of games.
You're complaining about people not comparing two games with the sum of their parts, yet you compared Killzone 3 and Alan Wake, but only focused on Alan Wake's volumetric lighting and resolution. You failed to take into account anything else that resulted in having to use a lower resolution (for opaque geometry). Alan Wake isn't using a lower resolution than Killzone 3 because it is technologically inferior, it is just a game that allocates its resources in a vastly different way.

There's probably some unfair nitpicking of killzone3, but there's just as much incredibly defensive posting any time something is rationally mentioned as not being the absolute best. There should probably be a dedicated Crysis 2 vs Killzone 3 thread.

One example is comparing Killzone 3's lack of volumetric lighting to a game that does it, but only renders 518K pixels.
I wasn't comparing Alan Wake to KZ3, just showing what an actual realtime volumetric lighting/shadowing system looks like.

Another example would be comparing Killzone 3's lack of GI to a game that has it; but it has terrible jaggies, poorer animations, poorer audio options, less particles, poorer gun models, less draw distance, tons of pop-in, a non-3D...3D mode, less characters on screen, etc.

It isn't about calm logical technical people versus emotionally crazed fanboys. It's about improper comparisons being pushed as if it's coming from calm logical technical people. And, that is infuriating!
Can't believe those two paragraphs are in the same post :LOL:

Apparently not... unfortunately.

Was aready done...maybe not popular for enough folks.

-->http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59577&page=8

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The thing that gets me is when people get defensive when they see people praise graphics of a game they have no interest in purchasing. I bet if I was praising a Wii games graphics no one would care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still 3 days to go in the UK 8( Game seems to be hitting the spot with users in the US & A. Aside from mentioning the unmatched GFX, it seems many picked up the Move Sharpshooter and claim it to be awesome!

Already have the Sony's hand gun attachment for Move, probably won't buy the Sharpshooter, although it might be a bit better because the navigation controller seems easier to use with it.
Tried the demo with Move but without the gun and it felt gooood! Needed a little adjusting of the dead-zone and such, but I think I'll never play a fps game in a console with regular controller if there's a well implemented option for Move.
The game should arrive in mail tomorrow, now.. I'm feeling a little sick.... a day or two off work might be in order....

Should be able to get it tonight at mediamarkt, will definitely have a look ... :cool:

Was debating whether to play it first with the sharpshooter or DS3, but my SS won't be here until next week. Kinda wanted to play it with the DS3 first anyway, but I can't wait to try it out with Move.

I don't think I'll go for the sharpshooter, but I'll play it with Move and probably won't look back ever after. I doubt if I'll ever even get a first person shooter that doesn't support Move after - I don't play that many of them anyway (max 1 per year).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back