[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well according to DF and the masses, KZ3 looks great, and that's all that matters.
I also like to add that the jaggies are not a problem in 3D mode, however low resolution is very apparent, but it's still worth it for the 3D experience.

Well according to DF and the masses, KZ3 looks great, and that's all that matters.
I also like to add that the jaggies are not a problem in 3D mode, however low resolution is very apparent, but it's still worth it for the 3D experience.
That's strange. According to the DF article jaggies are magnified in 3D mode.

Both low, it's just a corridor.

Low res.

Yeah that's great.

Fake, god rays. They don't react to geometry passing through them.

They're OK.

AA is good too (there's some shimmering though).

All in all you're explanation is unsatisfactory. It could mean that you simply have low standards in the first place :)

This particular shots are average at best.
Hmmm...I say at the "same" time and you proceded to split the techniques up. The reasoning for that is pretty obvious. It, also, helps to prove my point.

You and Nebula say there is nothing impressive tech-wise. Let me give you just one example of why I fight your opinions. Sony's MLAA technique goes beyond the 120ms port over, to a SPU, MLAA technique from Intel's(?) paper. They were able to improve on that technique and optimize it down to a lowly 20ms. How many other consoles have been able to use that in a retail game? Sony's MLAA technique, alone, can reach AA heights previously impossible on consoles. Yet, it's use in this game isn't impressive on a "technical" level?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

That's strange. According to the DF article jaggies are magnified in 3D mode.

They are indeed magnified when you're looking at captures on your 2D monitor. When playing though, human perception, well at least my perception, tends to not notice due to being preoccupied with the 3D effect and the novelty of moving through a 3D world and looking through the 3D scope of your weapon. In that regard, the low resolution and occasionally disappearing/reappearing objects become much more noticeable IQ issues.

Sony's MLAA technique goes beyond the 120ms port over, to a SPU, MLAA technique from Intel's(?) paper. They were able to improve on that technique and optimize it down to a lowly 20ms. How many other consoles have been able to use that in a retail game? Sony's MLAA technique, alone, can reach AA heights previously impossible on consoles. Yet, it's use in this game isn't impressive on a "technical" level?

Repsect for having MLAA but it wont negate other low-downs. And clean edges aint all what defines IQ alone. Gears of War with 4xSSAA wont look better than Batman: Darkham Asylum with 2xMSAA.

Hmmm...I say at the "same" time and you proceded to split the techniques up.
A bunch of average techniques together are still average ;) And notice I'm referring specifically to the last batch of screenshots, not the entire game.

You and Nebula say there is nothing impressive tech-wise. Let me give you just one example of why I fight your opinions. Sony's MLAA technique goes beyond the 120ms port over, to a SPU, MLAA technique from Intel's(?) paper. They were able to improve on that technique and optimize it down to a lowly 20ms. How many other consoles have been able to use that in a retail game? Sony's MLAA technique, alone, can reach AA heights previously impossible on consoles. Yet, it's use in this game isn't impressive on a "technical" level?
So? The game obviously has made compromises, most notably with the lack of HDR lighting.

So? The game obviously has made compromises, most notably with the lack of HDR lighting.
You wrote that response to his post about MLAA. There is nothing about using MLAA that makes using HDR unfeasible, they are completely different aspects of technology. In fact, the very first game with MLAA, GOW3, had HDR. GG had other reasons to not use HDR, not because they used MLAA.

You wrote that response to his post about MLAA. There is nothing about using MLAA that makes using HDR unfeasible, they are completely different aspects of technology. In fact, the very first game with MLAA, GOW3, had HDR. GG had other reasons to not use HDR, not because they used MLAA.
I didn't mean to imply that specifically MLAA caused the lack of HDR. Just saying that while it does incorporate great tech, it's not without cost.

+1. It's the same 1 or 2 people nitpicking KZ3 to death. Most people think it's technically impressive and/or it just looks impressive, and that's all that matters.

This C2 vs KZ3 is getting really annoying.

It's true that there's nothing particulary impressive about those shots.

He didnt say the shots were average he said the demo was average. And yes, the shots are impressive by any reasonable standard. Games can exceed the sum of their parts. This is especially true of console games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean to imply that specifically MLAA caused the lack of HDR. Just saying that while it does incorporate great tech, it's not without cost.

KZ2 foregoed HDR before they incorporated MLAA. While MLAA has its cost, it should be orthogonal to HDR.

I'm curious about the smoke column and godrays. I remember the godrays in the KZ2 warehouse did cast shadows. At least I could see my own shadow while I monkeyed around in the warehouse, trying to poke holes in their system. It may change scene by scene though. I think we should play the games ourselves before claiming that it does this or does not do this.

I'm curious about the smoke column and godrays. I remember the godrays in the KZ2 warehouse did cast shadows. At least I could see my own shadow while I monkeyed around in the warehouse, trying to poke holes in their system. It may change scene by scene though. I think we should play the games ourselves before claiming that it does this or does not do this.
Volumetric lightinhg/shadowing in KZ2 was non-existant. Those shafts in the warehouse were hand placed not unlike this:

http://ui20.gamespot.com/787/temploftime2_2.jpg

These got to be the best gun models I seen on consoles, a comparison between KZ2 and 3:

avermediacenter20020215.jpg

avermediacenter20020215.jpg

I'll say art direction is nice and there is nice touches but technically I agree. The shots below stands out. Very much remniscent of F3/NV/UE3. Plus minus things ofcourse and not in motion but only thing in that pic holding it up is actually the sky(box) and weapon IMO in most of them.
I mostly agree. However, I've never liked Killzone's art direction and its visual clutter. Still fail to see what's so exciting about these gritty, monotone environments. I never got into Gears of War for the exact same reason.

Volumetric lightinhg/shadowing in KZ2 was non-existant. Those shafts in the warehouse were hand placed not unlike this:

http://ui20.gamespot.com/787/temploftime2_2.jpg

Obviously they were hand placed there was no GI in KZ2. But they still produced shadows and interacted with the particles in the air.

http://sijm.ca/2009/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/michiel-van-der-leeuw.pdf
We’re quite particle heavy, per 30 Hz frame •
~ 250 particle systems simulated •
~ 150 systems drawn •
~ 3000 particles updated •
~ 200 collision ray casts

I must say some of those screenshots dont look so impressive. On the other hand i completed the game yesterday and its certainly one of the best looking games i have ever played. Similar to when the shots of Reach first came out and i called them average, the game looks much more impressive whilst playing. The particle effects especially are excellent while playing despite being low res, the low res ash and embers you see in screenshots looks fantastic whilst playing and even more impressive in 3D even though it is even lower res then. If its not to some peoples tastes, which is the case with every game, thats fine. One thing its certainly not is average, love it or hate it there is nothing else quite like it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back