[PS3] Killzone 3 game discussion

Hmmm....I wonder by how much compared to KZ2. I would've imagined less or perhaps something like Uncharted where ND claimed to have spent about the same amount with U1 and U2.
The 1st gen games were so expensive because engines etc had to be built from scratch from a very unusual archictecture so the fud was everywhere. I'd imagine Killzone 3 cost probably atleast a third less than killzone 2.

I'm pretty sure in one of the interview with the director clearly said KZ3 is done with less ppl, less time and less resources. And since the opened a second studio, some of the staffs has probably move to the new studio too.

I just finished the game and it was great! Much better than KZ2. Some flaws that have been touched on, like sound skipping and some fast moving cutscenes and gameplay. Like I thought we would be using that ice-vehicle, but I didn't think I would be thrust into it that quickly! Also at the end
when you suddenly have a nuke to use

Other than that..very fun game. Awesome detail levels on environments and the MAWLR is definitely the Goliath done right. I think Insomniac could learn a lot from Killzone 3.

Don't understand why the story was reviewed poorly.

I just thought that indicate all the ship are got one and ready to warp. Haven't play KZ2 for a while cant remember sorry.

Hmmm....I wonder by how much compared to KZ2. I would've imagined less or perhaps something like Uncharted where ND claimed to have spent about the same amount with U1 and U2.

Well, Killzone 3 does have 3D and Move support, and especially 3D support probably wasn't that cheap to do for this 30fps game. I don't know what other factors have been at play - the cutscenes for instance we done with nicer mocap tech and more like Uncharted with all actors present I think, and also with better (more expensive) actors too?

didn't sony said adding 3d can cost a little as 2% more, kind of silly if they cost a lot more in their own game when they are telling the 3rd parties a different story.

I think they free up the resources first (recovered 50% of resources from KZ2). Then applying 3D becomes easier...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3316...rol_And_Improving_Narrative_In_Killzone_3.php

Gamasutra spoke with Guerrilla Games' Steven ter Heide to discuss Killzone 3, and how the team strove to not only support new technologies like 3D and motion control, but to create characters that players could relate to.

A significant feature in the new Killzone is stereoscopic TV support. While players with 3D televisions may represent only a fraction of Killzone 3’s potential audience, Guerrilla found stereoscopy relatively easy to implement. “It did not really add a lot to our workload,” ter Heide claimed.

“The world we put the player in has always been fully 3D, as things need a front and backside to allow for the freedom of player movement. That said we still needed to develop 3D support on the engine side. If I say this was straightforward, I’m not giving the engineers the credit they deserve. It is of course quite a feat to render everything twice.”

“We came across a few things that initially we did not think of. But these were mostly design aspects,” ter Heide noted. “Things such as where does the crosshair live in terms of depth. Overall there have been a very small number of people involved in ensuring 3D works, I would say about two percent of the team were involved specifically.”

As could be expected from a Sony first-party developer, Guerrilla also included support for the new PlayStation Move controller. But for a game that has traditionally strived to imbue player movements with a believable sense of weight and momentum, how would its controls translate to the twitchy mechanics of gesture recognition?

“Its tricky to get that combination right,” ter Heide admitted. “We kept the feeling of weight in movement and in things like the reload animations. For the aiming however, it was much more important that the response be direct. We put a lot of effort into making sure the weapon tracks the crosshair and that the weapon moves realistically but immediately.”

Just got to the level where you
fight that big spider looking thing
and man does it ever look unbelievably good. I never would've thought that consoles would be capable of these visuals. It looks so good in motion. The sound is good, but it seems to be quite buggy and as I mentioned before, the sound quality in the cutscenes isn't as impressive.

So far, KZ3 is head and shoulders above KZ2 for me in almost every way possible. I also experimented with the motion controls for a bit doing bot matches and it makes it even more fun! Took me some getting used to, and overall I think I'm still better with the DS3, but it's just really fun and extremely accurate. Gonna play through it with Move right after I beat it with the DS3.

So far, KZ3 is head and shoulders above KZ2 for me in almost every way possible.

The most noticeable SP improvements for me are:
* Rico and teammate AI - Unreal. I forgave all the stupid things Rico did in KZ2. ^_^
* More accessible controls and view. KZ2 of course felt more weighty and realistic, but also less friendly (narrow field of vision, thick effects).
* Fast load time and fewer micro-loadings.
* Variety of maps and gameplay (including Move), although the on-rail shooter and cutscenes ate into FPS time. XD
* Music

Haven't tried 3D yet but MLAA fits the later levels very well. OTOH, KZ2's soft look fits the desert environment like a glove. IMHO, KZ2 has more streamlined/elegant color use. Art is also slightly more polished (smoke swirl and lens flare are more natural and subtle). I feel that in KZ3, the effects are more apparent, but also a little artificial.

I also experimented with the motion controls for a bit doing bot matches and it makes it even more fun! Took me some getting used to, and overall I think I'm still better with the DS3, but it's just really fun and extremely accurate. Gonna play through it with Move right after I beat it with the DS3.

Remember the jetpack can't be controlled with Move yet. I'm waiting for the patch. I am looking forward to MP improvements also, 'specially more old maps and also custom games.

It would match the "two percent" claim in the KZ3 gamasutra interview. They only count the 3D design and implementation part after making space for it. ^_^

I saw some ppl complaining about the micro loading, or mid level loading where the screen goes black for a second or something? I assuming that everyone have downloading the 1.03 patch which supposedly have improve the streaming, because I haven't seen it once in my 2 play through. Either they didn't patch the game or my 7200 rpm drive get rid of the problem.

The micro-loading is still there but shorter and much less frequent. May be your 7200rpm drive helped. I don't remember any black screen though. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention ?

do they usually happen after a cut scene with a few second of black screen? cause I think I remember ign review video show an example but it was probably before patch. I haven't seen one at all.

It could be in the middle of a level. I think I saw the micro-loadings more often near the beginning of the game. KZ2 definitely had more of them, and longer too.

Upto the demo level, and don't know if its just me (sure it isn't) but the waves appear to be much smoother in their motion (when the waves peak, in the demo they were juddery, but not anymore, or much less should i say). I deleted the demo but would love to know if this is true. Also i like how after you blow the AA turret, in the demo you got hit by that wave (cutscene), that sequence is gone now, which is good as in the demo it was a bit jarring and not very polished. Lastly when you drown you get all underwater bubbles which we're absent in the demo. All in all i think the demo was quite a bit earlier than what we are now playing.

I missed the post credit cutscene ! >_<

http://moviestinger.com/killzone-3-2011-extra-scene-after-the-credits/

There is an extra scene showing Helghast troops using a scouter and finding a ship amongst the wreckage and green petrusite mist created from the final battle in Killzone 3. The door of the ship opens and the scene ends with the Helghast troops saying “Welcome Home, Sir.” Which leaves the question: Who is it that emerges from the ship that they are referring to as “Sir”? …

Back