[PS3] Killzone 2

++looks good

-framerate isn't really there in the big fights

-FOV is very very low

-Playing with a console joystick is painful.
Unfortunately I re-finished COD4 PC on veteran two weeks ago, and FEAR2 last week, in full 1080P 4fsaa >100fps glory (same tv I play ps3 on). That being said, jumping straight to a console Shooter feels like my hands were amputated and my eyes are half blind.

There are much better suited types of games for a console. I re-learned FPS's aren't one of them.

Strafing is quite hard in this game at close quarters, I often find myself losing track of the enemy when trying to circle strafe them due to the turning controls.

I did try strafing out of full length cover (like pillars) instead of peeking out. And while it is definitely quicker to do (ie. you don't have to move to the edge while holding L2, tilt the left stick, then click in the stick to aim etc.) I found that it makes you more susceptible to hits from enemies off to your side, the cover mechanic decreases the chance of enemies hitting you from the side while in cover.

If the zoom has no good reason to use, then isn't that rather counterintuitive and a flaw in the controls?
I like using zoom in shooters, relying instead on the autoaim seems rather cheap.

Another thing I have yet to figure out, is for weapons without a dot sight, what part of the sight do you use to aim? For example with the pistol (which I use 70% of the time) do line the upper tip of the sight with their heads, or just below the top to counteract the effects of bullet drop (if there is any). Cause trying to shoot the tops of their heads when they're in cover (or blindfiring out) is very hard, and I don't know if I'm missing their helmets or hitting them but due to the difficulty they take a lot of shots to kill.

The enemies are quite like Uncharted's in their constant ducking and weaving, but it's much harder to take them out in KZ2 due to the controls, I wish they were more natural.

I'm going to assume you've never fired a weapon in real life.

Anyway, I don't have much of a problem, be it aiming or moving, but I'm also playing the game at the default setting for speed, which helps a lot.

Aiming is essential, if you're having a huge problem with it, hten you're too close. You have to understand, Iron Sights are only used in mid to long range, and most games get iron sights terribly wrong (like CoD4, for instance).

What I recommend is turning off the cross hair. I did, and it really really helps me, especially with the immersion, and will help you better judge when to use your iron sights, and when to fire from the hip.

Speakng of the ironsights I think in the last few years it's become a bit of a crutch for me while playing.
I remember back when I first started playing FPS games way back on PC, I recall they didn't even have ironsights,you just pointed the reticule and fired. Then when I started playing games with them it felt strange at first but now I think every game has them and I've gotten so used to using them almost all the time.
Someone made a comment about ironsights being only needed for more lange range shotting and I'm going to try and remember that when playing this game.

I have, extensively. I really hope that you're not trying to say that aiming in KZ2 is like aiming a real weapon.

No, I'm saying it accurately represents sight picture while in iron sights.

If you have fired weapons as much as you claim, and have played this game, you should have known what I meant immediately.

No, I'm saying it accurately represents sight picture while in iron sights.

If you have fired weapons as much as you claim, and have played this game, you should have known what I meant immediately.

That's what I thought you meant, but you said this:

I'm going to assume you've never fired a weapon in real life.

followed by with this:

Anyway, I don't have much of a problem, be it aiming or moving, but I'm also playing the game at the default setting for speed, which helps a lot.

which made me unsure.

Just met the big bugger with the excessive electricity bill. Keeps toasting me like a marshmallow at a bonfire.

Nobody please try and justify these controls. You and I both know the aiming is down right sad. Seriously, this needs to be fixed. The whole real life body weight thing... It's a game! Hell, a controller is hard enough to use in first persons, why make harder?

What a let down.:cry:

--having to use one of the sticks for ironsight instead of trigger,apparently no crouch lock.
For a game so dependant on using cover,being able to HOLD down the jump button to go into crouch and then TAPPING the jump button to come out of crouch I think would have made popping in and out of cover more fluid. Then they could have had an L2 or R2 trigger left open for ironsights.
-despite the build up,seems like a rather straightforward FPS.

You can use ALT 2 control scheme for that setup.

Nobody please try and justify these controls. You and I both know the aiming is down right sad. Seriously, this needs to be fixed. The whole real life body weight thing... It's a game! Hell, a controller is hard enough to use in first persons, why make harder?

Yeah, not everyone will like the controls. Have you tried MP to see if it's any better for you ?

Otherwise, you may be out of luck. Wait for KZ2 user mods for PC games (or UT3). One is in pre-alpha already :p

Seriously? I looked through all the button layouts and didn't see one where you could use the trigger for ironsights instead of the thumstick click. That's awesome. :D

Alt2 is just like COD4, but that control is awkward if you want to crouch and zoom in at the same time. Standard1 works perfectly.

Dramatic complaints about the controls don't really register with me.
I'm playing on Elite, which demands a good deal of precise aiming, and I still find the controls pretty functional. I dont necessarily "like" them, but I've gotten used to them. My one complaint about the controls is the shotgun. You really are fighting the controls when wielding this weapon, it's unrealistically weighted.

And speaking of Elite, the core gameplay is world class on this level. On COD4's Veteran mode, I felt overwhelmed by stupid drones, cheap scripting and a lousy checkpoint system.
On KZ2's Elite mode, I feel hunted.
It's so awesome being pinned down by suppressing fire from regular Helghast grunts in cover, then panicking while a bunch of knife wielding, SMG Higs sprint and roll towards you, looking to get in your face.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought you meant, but you said this:

followed by with this:

which made me unsure.

Ah, well I apologize for the confusion. There are a lot of things the game does "right" but ultimately end up confusing gamers, since they're used to really unrealistic behavior in shooters.

Just met the big bugger with the excessive electricity bill. Keeps toasting me like a marshmallow at a bonfire.

Time to make him pay the bill then ;)

When you enter this fight make sure you have two grenades and a powerful semi-auto. Hit him with a grenade to stun him get to his back fast to nail him in his gas tank. You really only need one grenade but two will buy you some insurance. You can use all three grenades you have if you have them but don't be fooled into thinking you need to.

The AI is pretty sick in this game. I just replayed the Raedec fight. I move a lot between the foremost cover positions to try and control battle arena and not allow the Helghast to flank me on one side or the other.

I noticed that the AI began to consistently predict my pattern of movement. At first it was a few Helghast trying to beat me to my sweet spots. I thought that was cool. However, when that didn't work the Higs began tossing grenades. To my utter amazement that Higs didn't toss the grenades at my current cover position but instead at where it expected me to run next since I stuck to a strict pattern of movement. I died about twice before I noticed what was happening. I would hear a grenade land and move to my next preferred cover position but without seeing where the grenade actually landed I ran right to my death two times in a row. I was simply amazed at that moment. I never expected the AI to set me up like that.

Anyhow I think that is pretty cool. Those Helghast are a sneaky lot.

Oh yeah, squad mates are absolutely worthless on higher difficulty and particualary during the Radec fight Rico goes out of his way to get me killed or not help me survive the battle in any way. It's quite hilarious how bad the Helghast abuse Rico especially since he has more reason to want to see every one of them dead than any other character in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

The controls are sound for me. As many have said if you're a hardcore bunny hopper run and gun shooter fan these more realistic controls may take some getting used to. Basically you're problem seems to be it not being a COD or a Halo clone.

What's the online setup like? Is it possible/easy for a group to get together and stay in a team in MP, or is it like WH where it's pretty random and you can be pitted against each other? Do you need a clan to do Group vs. Group?

It's pretty bad IMO. You can't make parties, so can't use voice chat before a game. You can try and join 1 of you friends, but most games are already full, and there is no way to tell which side he's on as far as I can tell. You can make your own game and invite your friends by telling them to join your game with PSN messages, there is no game invite. And this will put against each other.

The only way to do Group vs. Group is by using the ingame clanwar system. So you'll need a clan, which you can only create if your the rank of sergeant. These wars start at a fixed time, so there is no getting into games quickly this way.

Hopefully they'll add parties through a patch, it would make playing a few quick games with friends a lot easier.

Lag also effect a lot of games, seeing players teleport over the screen, or taking far to many hits to kill.

Outside of all those issues, the gameplay is really good. Switching between 5 different gamemodes in a single game works well, and keeps things nicely varied. The controls much faster, I had to reduce the sensitivity to stop me from over shooting my targets after being used to SP controls. I haven't unlocked any of the classes yet, so there is loads more to discover.

Oh great :( Another crap online implementation. The whole reason for me buying the game, and we're not going to be able to play together. Any word when GG are gonna fix this? I just don't understand how devs always miss the idea that friends want to meet up and play together, and they need to facilitate this!

I'm on the 4 th level of the game and I'm enjoying it but its just to contrived for me. The aiming mechanism is fine for me but all this talk of realistic weight etc is lost on me when you get in a tank and cant drive over a 1 foot boulder. The old style arcade sections where enemies jump out of doors on different levels of a building made me laugh, it was nice way to show the building collapsing set peice. Its way too linear for me and lets be honest its all be done before, long before in some parts. Personally I think EDGE's score is on the mark at this point.

Oh great :( Another crap online implementation. The whole reason for me buying the game, and we're not going to be able to play together. Any word when GG are gonna fix this? I just don't understand how devs always miss the idea that friends want to meet up and play together, and they need to facilitate this!

It's strange that such a simple thing is missing, especially considering how many other things they have provided to let you adjust the game. I've just been told that you can apparently choose the change sides in game. But I guess that's not a option if the other side is already full.

There have already been complains about this, but I haven't heard anything more about it. They really should add though. Killzone 2 could easily become a very popular online shooter if they do.

Back