[PS3] Killzone 2

Agreed. Even the comment about KZ2 multiplayer, controller lag was patched in KZ2 MP, and I don't remember that KZ3 and KZ2 were that different afterwards?

I'd play another Killzone with Move in a heartbeat, where I'm not all that interested in anything else. I actually don't know that I'd even be interested in Killzone on the Vita, unless perhaps they make reallly good use of the tilt sensors there too as an option (certainly seems viable after seeing Uncharted).

Killzone 3 with Move was just so good. I think it's almost criminal that Move support isn't a basic requirement for any shooter.

Calm down here: the patch not reverse so much the lag controls situation so drastically & I have kz2 to confirm of what I'm talking about: KZ3 multiplayer trials it's in an another universe in terms of lag controls, said otherwise to me probably means that you need to replay both at the same time too see of what I'm talking about. About KZ3 SP, I could wrong but honestly the demo don't appeal me so much to give even a chance to it& the impression about the simply vision of walkthroughs, call me hypocrite, don't change my feeling about it, sorry. I don't tries to say it's a bad game, but KZ2 to me appears an other level in terms of artistic design & gameplay.

Perhaps you should you know... actually play KZ3 before forming an opinion on the game.

You're not really qualified to say, "KZ3 SP it's a mixed bug of COD/Halo/BC style", unless you've really played the game.

For your info. KZ3 is actually nothing like those other games you mentioned. It's def different to KZ2, and although some stylistic elements did take a step backwards, KZ3 is still also a very unique game in its own right. Plus, if you play the entire game with Move, it's completely unlike any other shooter out there ever a one of a kind experience that should be celebrated for its achievements, and not simply pigeon-holed unfairly as a COD-clone by people who never really played the game.

I don't think such comments are at all constructive. I feel that if Guerilla were to listen to the press' and fans' prognosis of KZ3, they'd simply make a KZ4 that was an abomination and even worse than both KZ2 & 3. I heard very few that can actually articulate well what was really wrong with KZ3, very few that could see past the silly generalisations and see the game for what it was actually trying to do.

KZ3 fixed a lot of what was wrong with KZ2, unfortunately it also introduced further changes that brought the whole experience down, either because of poor execution (i.e. the introduction of a proper narrative - in that KZ2 didn't really have much of one), or simply changes for the sake of appeasing a vocal minority that complained over the previous game unfairly (i.e. lack of colour, changes to MP - as with KZ2 the priniciple criticism was "it doesn't play like COD"). It's quite sad really... I just wish the dev would have held to their own original vision for the franchise and continued with KZ3 as effectively "KZ2 with fixed controller lag". I can't help but think that the end result of KZ3 was partly a result of publisher pressure, as the entire package felt a slight undercooked, dispite being a brilliant and enjoyable game for me. I just feel as though a focus on nonesense features like 3D and local co-op (which isn't all that bad), should have been further down the list of priorities, well beneath "and overall gameplay and narrative polish" and "online co-op" (which should have been in since the first game).

Sorry for my bad quoting, I'm reply here; probably you are right to call me unqualified to express a constructive opinion but your post seem confirm what I suppose about KZ3, (COD a part) so I don't think to have missed so much the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Even the comment about KZ2 multiplayer, controller lag was patched in KZ2 MP, and I don't remember that KZ3 and KZ2 were that different afterwards?

I'd play another Killzone with Move in a heartbeat, where I'm not all that interested in anything else. I actually don't know that I'd even be interested in Killzone on the Vita, unless perhaps they make reallly good use of the tilt sensors there too as an option (certainly seems viable after seeing Uncharted).

Killzone 3 with Move was just so good. I think it's almost criminal that Move support isn't a basic requirement for any shooter.

I'd much rather play another Killzone Liberation type of game on the Vita. (one that actually arrives in a completed state that is)
That said, I really think developers shouldn't bother too much with shrunken down versions of console games. I want more Gravity Rush, and less Uncharted.

I can tell you why I didn't like KZ3. The set-piece battles were mostly gone, there were too many on-rails vehicle segments, and even when you weren't on rails, your path was so constrained that it made Black Ops look like Just Cause 2 by comparison.

I mean, it wasn't all bad. There were a couple areas I enjoyed. But a game with this style of linear campaign needs to do a good job of not making the player feel like he's being led around by the nose, and KZ3 completely failed in this regard.

Well, I must correct myself a little bit.
But first, I just finished the campaign again. Great game, great action, rather intense and challenging at the end!

I immediatley fired up KZ3 and already played an hour...man, graphics have really improved! Basically all aspects are improved, I did remember it wrong...looks phantastic in comparison and is a real looker too! Detail is super high! You have to watch carefully for the effects, because the setting is in daylight conditio n...

With respect to gaming: I like the controls in KZ2, I like the controlsin KZ3. What I do not like in comparison and is a little bit striking that they changed that: weapon recoil is basically ... the improved accuracy, the lighter movement makes this game way easier in comparison! I do prefer the high recoil in KZ2, because battles get more intense when you have to fire burst whileunder pressure :)

I'm ashamed to bump this one up again with a similar post, but damn, I REALLY miss KZ2. Still the best FPS online experience I've had. Some very fond memories there...

Apart from perhaps the controls and the framerate (compared to CoD), it just felt so right. And there was so much of team-play. I know, there's KZ3 outthere to play, but I just can't bring myself to like it - not after the brilliance that was KZ2 and it's spawn grenades etc.

I think CoD games are better games for the majority of players - easy controls, super smooth etc, but I just miss the team-work based play. MW3 (which is my most played CoD to date) is just more of an ego-trip game to me. Get the kills, don't really care for the teamwork in the team-deathmatches. Even in the more team-work based modes like Search & Destroy, I've never encountered the amount of team-work you'd get in an average game in KZ2.

Does anyone still play KZ2? Is it worth starting up? Or has it fallen to glitchers/cheaters or just not enough people to play it online anymore?

A friend of mine has just got himself his first PS3 and is loving playing MW3 with us - and everytime we attempt to play a half decent match with a bit of strategic thinking and teamwork, I can't help but think how much more fun it would be to play KZ2 as a group as the objectives are so more intuitive and an integral part of the online multiplayer... :cry:

Yes, KZ2 MP was the best ! I am unable to put the finger on what exactly made it great, but it was just ghe best .......... I heard p,eople still play it and Sony has kept the servers alive. I had to sell my copy to get a new ps3 after my phat one died, so am unable to try now.

But just like you, I , too, sometimes get that feeling to buy it again and have a go at the superb stellar campaign and hve fun in the tight MP.

You should definately get it again - I'm sure they must be giving it away practically for free on Amazon.

What made it so great? Hmm... while I think it's a combination of different factors, I'm pretty sure it's KZ2 biggest argued weakness is in fact its biggest strongpoint: No random respawns. Ît's the one thing that really anoys me in just about every other game (including KZ3) - the random respawns kill any attempt of decent strategic teamwork based gameplay.

As an example: When you play MW3 - it's fairly easy to stay as a group when you start the game because you all spawn at the same point. Even if you more or less manage to defend your part of the map, once you're killed - chances are you'll respawn someplace entirely different on the map. Once you re-spawn, you're immediately at your most vulnerable, because when you're in the middle of the map, technically, there could be someone just around the corner from every angle. I've died more times trying to get to our groups stronghold, so it's usually just better to play on your own which kills off any kind of team-work you had going. Or you manage to get to your groups stronghold, only to find that by the time you get there, they've been killed and respawned somewhere on the other side of the map.

KZ2 with its "home base" didn't have that flaw. You died, you either spawned where some tactician droped his grenade (and I've played more matches to know that most tacticians were half decent at placing their spawn grenades - me being one of them), behind your squad leader or in your home base. Even if you had to spawn at your home base and even if your home base was under attack, *at least* you had your team-mates or squad around you and even if perhaps the force outside was overwhelming, it was still possible to defend and get some kills. While home-base spaming was an annoyance, I still maintain my opinion that defending or trying to get out of your base proposed a much more challenging/fun experience than spawning in the middle of the map by randomness and being shot dead before you knew what was happening.

At least with spawning at your home-base, you may have had to fight towards your objective again, but at least you usually died on your own lack of skill and not because the game made you spawn in an area where you are at a huge disadvantage.

And I still think the bots like air-support or turrets were a lot more fun and crucial to the objective based game mode than the kill-streak-reward system you have in other games.

Killzone 2 is one of my most played online games ever, not just limited to consoles.
Killzone 3 well I've barely crossed 10 hours in that game as far as multiplayer is concerned.

KZ3 didn't have random respawning. You either spawned in your base or at TSPs. Its problems were:

1.) No custom matches or server browser. Things people didn't like in KZ2 could be mitigated via custom matches (like banning the VC9, or banning the Assault class entirely, or taking disliked maps out of the rotation). Can't do that in KZ3.

2.) Too few classes. KZ3 has 2 fewer classes than KZ2. People loved to bitch about the Assault class, but it was basically a dedicated bot-buster that was actually pretty terrible as a soldier (oh sure, you could get a kill or two with the rocket, and then you had no ammo). And before, the only way to roll with a support weapon was to play as infantry. Now two of the four classes have support guns.

3.) Maps are awful. Just AWFUL. The maps revolve around choke points and gimmicks. TSPs were poorly placed in many of them. Further, timers on the missions in Warzone are so short that it's often not worth it to try to take a TSP, not with only 60 seconds left on the objective. Spawn grenades worked because you threw it down, and bam, your guys were in the mission.

4.) Everyone can have proxy mines now, which is a terrible idea. Not when you can refill them at the ammo box.

5.) Unlock systems that have you weak and underpowered at low level are a bad idea. It's a bad idea in MAG, it's a bad idea as Pro Perks in COD, and it's a bad idea in Killzone.

6.) Mortar strike beacons are terrible.

Guerilla suffers from a lack of confidence in their own franchise's identity. I feel like they try to make it like Halo, then like COD, then like Battlefield, then like Team Fortress, without really stopping to think what works coherently within their own system.

KZ3 didn't have random respawning. You either spawned in your base or at TSPs. Its problems were:

1.) No custom matches or server browser. Things people didn't like in KZ2 could be mitigated via custom matches (like banning the VC9, or banning the Assault class entirely, or taking disliked maps out of the rotation). Can't do that in KZ3.

2.) Too few classes. KZ3 has 2 fewer classes than KZ2. People loved to bitch about the Assault class, but it was basically a dedicated bot-buster that was actually pretty terrible as a soldier (oh sure, you could get a kill or two with the rocket, and then you had no ammo). And before, the only way to roll with a support weapon was to play as infantry. Now two of the four classes have support guns.

3.) Maps are awful. Just AWFUL. The maps revolve around choke points and gimmicks. TSPs were poorly placed in many of them. Further, timers on the missions in Warzone are so short that it's often not worth it to try to take a TSP, not with only 60 seconds left on the objective. Spawn grenades worked because you threw it down, and bam, your guys were in the mission.

4.) Everyone can have proxy mines now, which is a terrible idea. Not when you can refill them at the ammo box.

5.) Unlock systems that have you weak and underpowered at low level are a bad idea. It's a bad idea in MAG, it's a bad idea as Pro Perks in COD, and it's a bad idea in Killzone.

6.) Mortar strike beacons are terrible.

Guerilla suffers from a lack of confidence in their own franchise's identity. I feel like they try to make it like Halo, then like COD, then like Battlefield, then like Team Fortress, without really stopping to think what works coherently within their own system.

I played the beta. I couldn't detact personality, I was very dissapointed in comparison to KZ2, so I did not even border when released!

Some gamestudios really don't know what makes there games unique.

Jeez Guerrilla really has to release another KZ before ps4 coming... I can't believe KZ3 is the last in the ps3, so disappointing...

One of the biggest plus points of KZ2 was its well tested and expertly designed maps !!!! Best mp maps ever.

The only map that has surpassed KZ2 's designs is SCRAPMETAL in BF3 CQC dlc. Scrapmetal oozes KZ2 atmosphere and design philosophy where there is always a way to flank the enemy, no matter where he is standing and there are numerous hidden passageways which make travel time to objectives extremely short once u know them.

Jeez Guerrilla really has to release another KZ before ps4 coming... I can't believe KZ3 is the last in the ps3, so disappointing...

I thought KZ4 for PS3 was indeed confirmed, but perhaps PS4 project got in the way?

KZ1 HD: 30 fps and 720p. Pretty lame...

You expect too much my friend.

Eitherway, a full 720p framebuffer and steady 30fps would be dandy for me :)

I do wish they patched Move controls into the first three games though. I would rebuy for that reason alone

Back