PS3 Firmware 2.7 announced

Yap ! Now that the chatroom is set up, I hope they reuse the framework instead of adding yet another UI concept (e.g., the white AV chatroom).

The current text chat certainly exceeded my expectation (except for the short message length). It's rather neat to see what people in the room are discussing when I'm in KZ2 with a different voice chat system.

archie4oz and DeanA, is the 16 player limit concurrent or total ? I am assuming the chatroom can host up to 16 concurrent players but (since it leaves behind a chatroom link to itself) it can be accessed by any number of people who visited the room before. Is this accurate ?

I am asking so that we know how to manage the invites to our new room.

I really like how the chatroom remembers past conversation. I can enter the room and see what the EU folks talked about last night when I was sleeping. :D

I wonder if there are any improvements on OS ram usage ...

In-game Text chat is useless imho ... My friend invited me to a chatroom while I was playing KZ2 multi ... I needed to stop playing , opened XMB , joined chat room etc ... I mean I stopped playing ... What's the point of this if I cant keep playing ?.. You have to make a choice " keep playing the game " or " chatting " and that's bs ...

Anyway , anyone noticed a problem about contrast [ or about whites ] after fw update ?..

It was nice chatting to all of you!

But I don't know if I really want cross-in-game voice chat. When you are playing a game you should be focused on the game, not talk with other people. But maybe I am an antisocial type...

I wonder if there are any improvements on OS ram usage ...

In-game Text chat is useless imho ... My friend invited me to a chatroom while I was playing KZ2 multi ... I needed to stop playing , opened XMB , joined chat room etc ... I mean I stopped playing ... What's the point of this if I cant keep playing ?.. You have to make a choice " keep playing the game " or " chatting " and that's bs ...

It's all about the context. You can easily wait until you respawn to type.

Text chat has its use. Besides the scenarios I listed below...
Text chat is great for the following reasons:

* Quiet gaming (e.g., late night shooting in a cramped room, small apartments)

* May be more comfortable for non-English speaking gamers

* Good when the party size is big (Can scroll up and down to see past text)

* More fun to make jokes since people can still maintain their persona (role play) like some do in fora -- See Kittonwy's cat-like personality and messages. ^_^

... it also has the advantage of no background noise. When I play at home, you guys don't have to listen to my kid crying :)

Anyway , anyone noticed a problem about contrast [ or about whites ] after fw update ?..

For Blu-ray movies or games ?

EDIT:

But I don't know if I really want cross-in-game voice chat. When you are playing a game you should be focused on the game, not talk with other people. But maybe I am an antisocial type...

Depends on the game :)

Some games can be paused for either voice or text chat (if talking is too distracting). They both have their place. Saying text chat is useless in-game just tells me they may not have run into the needs yet.

He should check his configuration to see if the upgrade reset any settings. Looks ok for me too.

Skimming through the web quickly, it seems that firmware 2.7 also:

* Added time remaining for in-progress download.

* Added a "Download All" button to PS Store (for past downloads).

* Added more codec support (DivX I think). Although it also broke Phil's setup.

* Added Hidefnow H.264 plugin to browser

* Enhanced browser performance

He should check his configuration to see if the upgrade reset any settings. Looks ok for me too.

Skimming through the web quickly, it seems that firmware 2.7 also:

* Added time remaining for in-progress download.

* Added a "Download All" button to PS Store (for past downloads).

* Added Hidefnow H.264 plugin to browser

* Enhanced browser performance

The Highdefnow site doesn't work for me ,no video box shows up:cry:

I installed which was fine, then booted up R2 co-op and after an hour I got a shut down followed by a continuous flashing red light... Boo! Does that mean its melted? It is a launch 60Gb model and it hasn't been switched off since I got it (FAH 24/7)!

Heh heh, this one is easy to figure out ! If the PS3 refuses to play other games as well, it may be time to call Sony support to confirm.

EDIT:

It doesn't show up for me too. Don't know what's up with their press release regarding PS3 support.

Regarding hidden 2.7 features, some forumites claim that download speed has increased multiple folds for them. Ostepop might want to check it out.

EDIT: Network performance seems to worse for others. Basically, no strong evidence that the performance has improved overall.

Heh heh, this one is easy to figure out ! If the PS3 refuses to play other games as well, it may be time to call Sony support to confirm.

It won't actually switch on now for more than a minute before it keels over again. I think its dead...

I installed which was fine, then booted up R2 co-op and after an hour I got a shut down followed by a continuous flashing red light... Boo! Does that mean its melted? It is a launch 60Gb model and it hasn't been switched off since I got it (FAH 24/7)!

OMG! You should receive a medal! :oops:

tuna said:

Seconded. It was really good fun! I like the new chat a lot and it has many advantages over the slower 1-to-1 message system. It's a great way to have a room set up with friends and keep each other informed while you're away to. I wonder how voice chat will (if?) find its way into a future upgrade. Wonder if it'll not cause conflict with existing games that support voice chat (like multiplayer games). This is great for the moment though. Think I might have to get myself a nice BT wireless keyboard...

patsu said:

I'm happy to report that I got it working again. Not sure how relevant this is to other people having problems with their mediaservers, but for those of you that use mediatomb, make sure the following settings are set in your config file:

Code:
<protocolInfo extend="yes"/>
<map from="avi" to="video/divx"/>

Check the mediatomb documentation to find where to enter those settings. In my case, the avi/divx mapping wasn't set, which surprisingly didn't pose an issue before the update but seems to be important as of 2.7.

The other important thing to note, is that upon altering these settings, a simple restart of the mediaserver will not suffice. You'll have to delete the database and import the entire library for the changes to take effect.

Cheers Phil

The "gamercards" load much faster now with 2.70.
This is kind of off topic, since I don´t know if this has any impact on download speeds in Finland, but internet traffic in Sweden went down 30% on wednesday when a new law started to apply. Basically it forces internet service providers to give the physical address of an IP address when someone claim its downloading/sharing some protected IP (music, films, etc.).

A lot of people stopped sharing their torrents because of this.

There are already means to hide your IP-address (such as ipredator), so this may wear off in a few months, when people find out how to avoid it.

Some have seen Sweden as a free harbor for piracy due to Pirate Bay which has its origin here. However, the fact this law has been applied and the guys behind pirate bay are at trial right now, may change that perception. The outcome of the trial will be very interesting. Pirate bay is just providing a mean to find torrents and ... well Google serves that purpose pretty well too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me get this straight. You´ve had your PS3 running Folding@Home 24/7 for about 2 years?

Yeah, more or less since the FAH application came out. It reached nearly 2k WUs on its own. I do believe that is the ultimate stress test!

It was working perfectly until last night. I guess it was one firmware upgrade too far for its poor tired little self!!

This is kind of off topic, since I don´t know if this has any impact on download speeds in Finland, but internet traffic in Sweden went down 30% on wednesday when a new law started to apply. Basically it forces internet service providers to give the physical address of an IP address when someone claim its downloading/sharing some protected IP (music, films, etc.).

A lot of people stopped sharing their torrents because of this.

There are already means to hide your IP-address (such as ipredator), so this may wear off in a few months, when people find out how to avoid it.

Some have seen Sweden as a free harbor for piracy due to Pirate Bay which has its origin here. However, the fact this law has been applied and the guys behind pirate bay are at trial right now, may change that perception. The outcome of the trial will be very interesting. Pirate bay is just providing a mean to find torrents and ... well Google serves that purpose pretty well too.

Wow what other countries do this?

Good chats guys - was hopping between the B3D and GAF rooms :D

Not sure if you had this info, but for completists:

"Language fixes: If you’re Polish, Greek, Czech, Slovak, and Turkish, you’ll particularly like the 2.70 update: it makes the necessary additions to your Internet Browser that enables you to read the full range of letters and characters from your national alphabet."

Hi there,

I'm one of the guys that runs highdefnow.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems getting highdefnow to work on your PS3 and we'll be looking into these issues ASAP.

Info will be posted on our twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/highdefnow

Also if there are any specific error messages please mention them.

Regards,

Kieran K

Back