PS3 Firmware 2.7 announced

All the goodies and all are all good I suppose...

BUT

Did anyone notice anything fishy with supported video formats yet? 95% of my video files just went from playable to "Unsupported Data - The data type is not supported".

:devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

This has GOT to be a joke...

So, say I'm in the chat, typing, and send a message. Then I hit the PS Button to return to the game.

The next time I hit the PS Button, will it return me to the chat instantly, or do I have to sift through the menus again to open it?

Also, I've heard it was persistent...will it remain "active" if no one is logged, etc? If so, that is REALLY awesome.

Yes, I believe it will bring you back to the chatroom immediately when you press the PS button. I am not near my PS3 to confirm though.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I think they should integrate PS Home clubhouse or party management to the XMB chatroom.

Besides getting all the benefits of this new chatroom, Home netizens can still have fun with Home items/rewards, more visual environment if you don't mind the slowdown, the persistency of clubhouse/private membership for attracting newcomers, playing mini-games while waiting for people to join the party, party management for game launching, etc

Once the chatroom for the clubhouse is created, they can also chat with non-Home people.

All the goodies and all are all good I suppose...

BUT

Did anyone notice anything fishy with supported video formats yet? 95% of my video files just went from playable to "Unsupported Data - The data type is not supported".

:devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

This has GOT to be a joke...

Do those videos reside on your internal HDD or on a media server ?

Just curious, what formats are they in ? Your broken videos may be transcoded/demuxed by the media server in the first place.

2.7 may have introduced some incompatible changes to the protocol or content type mechanism. Or Sony may have limited media playback capability.

Will have to wait for diagnose from the media server authors.
Interestingly, it seems to be on mediaservers only issue. :$

For all that have problems, perhaps keep an eye out on this topic...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...thread.id=59443&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

...working on finding a solution for mediatomb-mediaserver on linux.

Okay, that's what I suspected. Have you try PS3MediaServer ?

Just curious, what formats are they in ? Your broken videos may be transcoded/demuxed by the media server in the first place.

2.7 may have introduced some incompatible changes to the protocol or content type mechanism. Or Sony may have limited media playback capability.

Will have to wait for diagnose from the media server authors.

Okay, that's what I suspected. Have you try PS3MediaServer ?

Apparently, it affects all mediaservers, regardless which one is being used.. and I'm not interested in the PS3-MediaServer (Java.. ugh).

Anyway, it seems to affect mostly DivX and from what I'm reading, it may only be an issue when it's played from a mediaserver. Some info suggests it may be solved with a restart of everything... am trying it out now and will report back shortly.

BTW: Transcoding isn't a bad idea, but for obvious reasons, I'd rather transcode as little as possible. If my PS3 goes from 95% workable without transcoding to 5% workable, it's not much use to me anymore.

Looks like the dev team is still busy with DivX changes.

The open source community should be able to identify the cause within the month. Let's see if Sony will release a 2.7.1 for the regression.

Okay, report back. Restart didn't help.

I do know now for sure that it's definately a mediaserver issue, which doesn't affect all video formats though

DivX seems to be affected over the mediaserver, mpeg2 etc however aren't.

Copyed over a divx that used to work under 2.6x and not 2.7 to the local harddrive on the PS3 and it's playable. It'll be interesting what will have to be done to make this work again. As far as I know, UPnP mediaservers have a fixed protocol and need to be compliant with many other mediaserver-players outthere. I'm thinking Sony messed something up big time.

*mutters to self* How hard can it be?

Thanks for the help & support patsu! I'm certainly feeling a lot better now that I know there must be some solution. :smile:

If it's only a protocol change or a content type misclassification, the fix should be relatively simple. At this point, I would watch the media server fora (over the weekend) to see what the authors say.

*mutters to self* How hard can it be?

Thanks for the help & support patsu! I'm certainly feeling a lot better now that I know there must be some solution. :smile:

Well, I do understand the feeling since I was into transcoding for PSP about 3-4 years ago. It's both head-scratching and frustrating at times.

I don't know if the update did something to this or not, but for the first time I am getting great download speeds from the store.

I can actually watch a video while it's downloading and actually watch it without it buffering every 10 seconds.

Yeah, the chatting is pretty cool! I like it a lot. When I noticed that you could only type really short lines I suspected this had a reason - you'd be able to see them in-game or something. And true enough, you can join a chat room and then just go back to whatever you were doing. Tuna is in Guitar Hero, Phil is in Killzone, patsu is ... sort of ... working, and I'm typing this here in the browser right now while I see those three chatting away. Pretty awesome! And from the looks of it, they seem to be aiming to make this support voice eventually. Of course I realise that compared to the 360 it's small steps, but for us PS3 owners this is a pretty big one. I also really like that you can cut and paste text in the browser now, by the way. That was one thing that I sometimes missed being able to do. And now I copied this from the Killzone thread :D Awesome

So, say I'm in the chat, typing, and send a message. Then I hit the PS Button to return to the game.

The next time I hit the PS Button, will it return me to the chat instantly, or do I have to sift through the menus again to open it?

Also, I've heard it was persistent...will it remain "active" if no one is logged, etc? If so, that is REALLY awesome.

patsu said:
Yes, I believe it will bring you back to the chatroom immediately when you press the PS button. I am not near my PS3 to confirm though.

Correction. Pressing PS button brings up in-game XMB but because it is stateful. You can navigate to the chatroom and when you press PS next time, you're just one click away from the room.

Arwin has set up a chat room (basically B3D members so far). Phil, Arwin, tuna74 and me are in. Invitations have been sent out to ChryZ and deepbrown (because they were online). Shifty, Ostepop, catisfit and tha_con, once you're online, any one of the folks who *was* (or is) in the chatroom can invite you. The room is permanent. You can have up to 3.

EDIT: deepbrown is in. :p

I killed my test chatroom and we're now using the B3D chatroom that patsu created

Chat feature sounds great. Also sounds like I need to hook my keyboard up and look for a better keyboard alternative. Can I bum a spot from you cool B3D guys?

I think you have to have patsu on your friends list. If you do, you should be able to see the chat space in your new chat rooms thingy

As long as you're in one of our friends list, we can invite you there.

Anyway, I just sent you a friend invite. Once you add me, I will be able to drop you a chat invite.

EDIT:
I killed my test chatroom and we're now using the B3D chatroom that patsu created

Oh sh*t, I deleted mine because I thought we should keep yours since it's already populated. I will recreate the B3D one then.

EDIT 2:
Arwin, guess what ? As long as one of us are still using it, the chatroom will be alive. It's still there. So should I create a new B3D one ? If we are going to make a new one, I will stop sending people invites.

Don't think so. There is an explicit delete command. You can choose to leave a room if you don't want to see the text notifications anymore.

BTW, the new "Beyond3D" room is up. tha_con, you should see the invitation in your XMB inbox now.

EDIT: I guess if no one has the room in XMB (i.e., everyone deleted the room), then it will go away to conserve resources.

Chat seems good, and a very good reason to invest in the controller keypad attachment. Haven't tried it within the middle of a game, for in-game chat while playing. This is where I want voice chat, so I can communicate and play simultaneously. The current chat system is only a little more optimized than the in-game XMB messaging. And what's with the silly character limit? It's as though they are deliberately limiting contributions to inane lol's and :p and WTFBBQ? and making chat about games very hard cept 4 txt spk wch sux!!1!1oneone

Chat seems good, and a very good reason to invest in the controller keypad attachment. Haven't tried it within the middle of a game, for in-game chat while playing. This is where I want voice chat, so I can communicate and play simultaneously.

Yeah, those are currently implemented by the games themselves.

The current chat system is only a little more optimized than the in-game XMB messaging.

It's much more convenient to exchange text chat now once things are set up. Previously it takes quite a few clicks and typing to send one message. Now it's only 1 click away, and you simply type whatever you want to say (No more fiddling with the subject and recipient list). The first time you enter the chatroom, you'll need to navigate to it. Subsequently, pressing PS should go straight into the room (or the room is just one click away).

And what's with the silly character limit? It's as though they are deliberately limiting contributions to inane lol's and :p and WTFBBQ? and making chat about games very hard cept 4 txt spk wch sux!!1!1oneone

The short message length can get annoying. They should expand the XMB message size. Afterall, file attachments have increased to 3Mb from 1Mb.

Back