PS2 game with the best graphics

BlueTsunami said:
I would have to go with Metal Gear Solid 3. Not really savvy on the Technical Aspects but it really did blow me away. Especially the trakemark cutscenes.
Yeah that game's real-time cutscenes were pretty insane for a ps2 game.

And by the way, ignore the last PM I sent you, I got that mess sorted out.;)

Yes, MGS3:SE is just amazing, esp the opening cutscene...and that HALO jump was just mindblowing.

nintenho said:
And by the way, ignore the last PM I sent you, I got that mess sorted out.;)

I should have responded to it :p

I was thinking about who to ask (since I use the GAF IRC room) but wasn't to sure who to ask about it. Its good to hear you got it sorted out though.

Zone of the enders 2 (framerate, particle effects)
Metal gear solid 3 (cutscenes)
Champions of Norrath (water effects, AA)
Shadow of the colossus (artistically)
Gran Turismo 4 (because it's looking so realistic)

Last edited by a moderator:
BlueTsunami said:
I should have responded to it :p

I was thinking about who to ask (since I use the GAF IRC room) but wasn't to sure who to ask about it. Its good to hear you got it sorted out though.
1. I sent that PM right when I got this account and since it wasn't even activated yet (did the email activation thing a few hours later) this forum's server didn't recognise me as a junior member, however, now since I'm a junior member, I can't get any PM's anyways.

2.The reason it got sorted out was since I found EviLore on opa-age when he made that thread inconveniencing Olimario and his gf. The stupid thing is that EviLore sent me a PM telling me what to do, but when one of the other posters asked about why I want to go back to gaf, I typed up a rant against opa-age and it's racists and stupidity which got me ISP banned until 2007 so I didn't see the PM but now I reregistered on that forum on another computer and asked EviLore to email me what he PM'd to my "am nintenho" account's email address on gaf. You might know some of this since your apparantly at that forum too....tsk...tsk

3. Did I scare you away with the first batch of PM's on gaf like a month or two ago that Diablos made a thread about?

Sorry to take this discussion off-topic.:smile: :smile: :smile:

It would have to be a close pick between MGS3 and ZOE2, but in the end, going to MGS3...

I can say the getaway blac monday

getaway_black_monday5.jpg

getaway_black_monday4.jpg

getaway_black_monday3.jpg

I think it's awsome how they have dynamic shadows (pretty much like in sh3) inside, ragdoll on every person in the street and everywhere. The character models look good too and the cars are like sony showed first for the old getaway. There's lots of physics everywhere too. And some places have some cool effects.

Shadow of the Colossus is my fave..

Although its obviously more artistic than technical..In THAT games case, I can side with the overall piece rather than the purely cosmetic.

Because the game is a masterwork..team Ico is really really talented.

nintenho said:
Do you mean best graphics artistically or technically.

Technically:Black and Gran Turismo 4 since they apparantly max out the total potential power on the system.

Artistically:Zone of the Enders, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, and the Devil May Cry series.

Gran Turismo 4 doesn't even get close. It looks good because Polyphony's artists are monsters. So you should put that game on the "artistically beautiful" list.

Personally, ZOE2, GOW, JAK2/3 and SOTC are the best games i've played on PS2, because they use their technical advantages to really express a level of artistry most other games can't even get close to.
Tried Black this morning and i'm hating it. I'll give it another go later....

london-boy said:
Gran Turismo 4 doesn't even get close. It looks good because Polyphony's artists are monsters. So you should put that game on the "artistically beautiful" list.
No, I read on gamespy I believe that it maxes out the theoretical maximum number of fully shaded polygons on ps2. I think it's 16 million. Apparantly, Black is the only other game to do this but that came out much later and Criterion's programmers didn't have to worry about hundreds of cars looking perfect.

nintenho said:
No, I read on gamespy I believe that it maxes out the theoretical maximum number of fully shaded polygons on ps2. I think it's 16 million. Apparantly, Black is the only other game to do this but that came out much later and Criterion's programmers didn't have to worry about hundreds of cars looking perfect.

No it doesn't. Gamespy dont' know anything. nAo (ps2 programmer and now PS3 programmer, if you don't know him) ran the game on the Performance Analyser, and it's hovering on the 3M polygon per second figure.
But if you want to trust Gamespy, by all means go for it, doesn't change the reality of things.
16M is way over the top, if that's what they say, they really have no idea.
Besides, it's not like GT4 has "hundreds of cars looking perfect" on screen at once, like you say...

EDIT: Actually i have to admit, the conversation with Marco was long ago so my numbers could be off, but it's either 3M polys per second or 30,000 polys per frame (that's 1,800,000 polys per second at 60fps so that's actually worse) and i can't really remember if it was average figres or tops. I'm sure he can clarify, if he has time. Either way, 16M polys per second for GT4 is laughable.

london-boy said:
No it doesn't. Gamespy dont' know anything. nAo (ps2 programmer and now PS3 programmer, if you don't know him) ran the game on the Performance Analyser, and it's hovering on the 3M polygon per second figure.
But if you want to trust Gamespy, by all means go for it, doesn't change the reality of things.
16M is way over the top, if that's what they say, they really have no idea.
Besides, it's not like GT4 has "hundreds of cars looking perfect" on screen at once, like you say...

EDIT: Actually i have to admit, the conversation with Marco was long ago so my numbers could be off, but it's either 3M polys per second or 30,000 polys per frame (that's 1,800,000 polys per second at 60fps so that's actually worse) and i can't really remember if it was average figres or tops. I'm sure he can clarify, if he has time. Either way, 16M polys per second for GT4 is laughable.
I don't know shit about programming, but doesn't the programmer have to do some of the work involved in modeling?

Not to contradict what has been said about GT4 before, but just to add, polygons isn't the definite performance benchmark. While I'm sure there are other games that are more complex in other ways, to understate what Polyphony Digital achieved isn't doing them justice IMO. It doesn't only take art to make a racer on the scale that is Gran Turismo 4. I think Polyphony just used different aspects of the hardware compared with say Konami which may have resulted in a different utilisation level that reflect the results the PA showed.

Oh don't get me wrong, me saying that GT4 pushes fewer polys around than most other games is not to put down the Polyphony team, all the opposite in fact! Looking at how good the game looks, it's amazing they've done it without pushing the numbers other developers claim all the time... It shows the Polyphony artists are real geniuses. :D

nintenho said:
I don't know shit about programming, but doesn't the programmer have to do some of the work involved in modeling?

You have artists that make the models, and programmers who build and tweak engines to run the game on. The artists have to work alongside the programmers in order to keep their designs within performance levels.
Still, what does your question have to do with my post?

london-boy said:
You have artists that make the models, and programmers who build and tweak engines to run the game on. The artists have to work alongside the programmers in order to keep their designs within performance levels.
Still, what does your question have to do with my post?
I got the idea that programmers have to scale down the models themselves or something because of an interview I read where Cliffy B I think was talking about how Unreal Engine 3.0 is so good because it's tools allow the artist to do things that the programmer had to be burdened with before.

nintenho said:
I got the idea that programmers have to scale down the models themselves or something because of an interview I read where Cliffy B I think was talking about how Unreal Engine 3.0 is so good because it's tools allow the artist to do things that the programmer had to be burdened with before.

Still doesn't explain what that has to do with the "16M polys on GT4" discussion we were having... :???:

Hmm, can't make up my mind.

One of these:
Shadow of the Colossus - Huge game world, nice effects, unmatched character animation and no load times, IQ is so so. ~30fps
http://web.telia.com/~u48019550/ps2-1.jpg
http://web.telia.com/~u48019550/ps2-2.jpg

God of War - very impressive image quality, no load times, 60fps!
http://web.telia.com/~u48019550/ps2-6.jpg
http://web.telia.com/~u48019550/ps2-7.jpg

Jak 3 - Nice IQ (with AA?), very detailed enviroments with nice lightning, no load times, 60fps
http://web.telia.com/~u48019550/ps2-5.jpg

Black - The particle effects in this game are awesome. Dust clouds that would even make my P4 3.4GHz nV6800 die ;) 60fps
http://web.telia.com/~u48019550/ps2-3.jpg
http://web.telia.com/~u48019550/ps2-4.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater - I only played this game for 20-30 minutes. Very detailed enviroments (the tall grass is very impressive), good IQ. 30fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back