Project Natal: MS Full Body 3D Motion Detection

Yep I brought this up earlier in the thread. I think this has massive applications for PC's outside of gaming, I really hope MS intergrate the tech into Windows.

According to Engadget & Jimmy Fallon's producer the jumpsuits were just for fun...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/11/jimmy-fallon-rocks-out-with-project-natal/
they could of been but also remember the first demonstration
vlcsnap-217401.jpg

bright orange, coincidence? Im guessing orange is easier for the machine to pick up

If it's working for other colors (material aside), then orange should be fine. Lime green. hot pink, bright orange are some of those colors that people like to use to increase the "fun factor".

Anyone else noticing a very slight delay between the action in reality and the action on screen?

Nothing big, but still noticeable.

I first noticed it at I think it was E3. Then I saw it again on ABC, so I'm not entirely sure.

But whatever. They still have time to fix it. :D

I have to admit, things are looking up for the 360. I decided I wouldn't go back after my old 360 got stolen since the excitement for new stuff had died.. but at E3, it was like BAM! There it is!

:oops: Okay, horrid joke, but I meant every word.

ChefO I don't know how MS will sell Natal (new platform or new sku, the latter more likely) but it looks like they have extrememly ambitious goals if Shane Kim is to be believe:
Shane Kim said:
"Conceptually, the launch of Natal will be like the launch of Xbox 360," Shane Kim told Kotaku. "It's going to be that big. We're not just going to ship it when the hardware and software are ready."
Shane Kim said:
"We're not focused on this generation's casual gamers or even PS2 people who haven't upgraded. This is about the 60 percent of households where a videogame console doesn't exist… The problem is that the controller is a barrier for some people and now with Project Natal we completely eliminate that."
Not that I think that they aim at a 60% market growth but still, they want to grow their market in a unique way, I wonder about their marketing budget it has to big crazy big :8O:

someone tell me how Halo or any other FPS would works on it?

position your body like you're holding the appropiate weapon and make gunfire sounds to fire which the voice recognition picks up

"Chk Chk Bang!!!" for pistols

"Chk Chk Boom!!!" for shotgun

"Phewwww Phewwwww" for Turok/Rambo Bowfire

"Taahhahahahahahahahahaha" for automatic fire

"ZZZGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHTT" to taser someone

the future of videogaming :)

someone tell me how Halo or any other FPS would works on it?

I dont think the device is going to be used for games like that. Traditional games will continue to be controlled in te traditional way but with the possibility of enhancements for those with natal, simlar to how sixaxis is used currently.

Natal will primarily be used for totaly new experiences and game types aimed at a more casual audience.

If MS can grab the non-gamer audiene it will be a big succes for them especially financially, and i think it has a good chance of doing this as long as they provide the rite content for that market.

If you are expecting it to be of great importance to us as core gamers then i think you ay be dissapointed. While im excited for natal to see what they come up with i have a sneeky suspision it isnt going to offer the kind of games that i want myself. It will likely be a big success for MS but i dont think it will offer much for those who are not intrested in more casual games. Again, this isnt a bad thing, in fact it is a very goog thing for MS, it just isnt really aimed at us.

I want to see a video of Natal controlling some traditional games like 3rd/1st person shooter.If so I would be all over that. Combine motion control(which I love) with the great 3rd party support the 360 has enjoyed and the other two consoles are in serious trouble.

I want to see a video of Natal controlling some traditional games like 3rd/1st person shooter.If so I would be all over that. Combine motion control(which I love) with the great 3rd party support the 360 has enjoyed and the other two consoles are in serious trouble.

If that is what you are after i really dont think you are going to be catered for goin by what we have seen and how microsoft are positioning the device. I think PSMC will be more down your street if your after motion control in more traditional games to be honest.

I think PSMC will be more down your street if your after motion control in more traditional games to be honest.

Agreed.

It makes sense from all angles.

Ps3 hardware costs are prohibitive for a non-gamer that MAY be interested in this motion control stuff where xb360 hardware costs can lure in a non-gamer.

Also the accuracy in Sony's system is more inline with what a serious gamer is looking for.

So am I to take it you guys think we are stuck with fully traditional controllers forever?
I just don't see it.
I really just considered a fully motion controlled traditional game a given,being what human nature is.
If we have thought of it you know there are devs out there who have and a few of the ambitious ones are going to want to be the first.
I don't see this Natal completely replacing traditional controls over night but someone has to and will take the first chance IMO

So am I to take it you guys think we are stuck with fully traditional controllers forever?
I just don't see it.
I really just considered a fully motion controlled traditional game a given,being what human nature is.
If we have thought of it you know there are devs out there who have and a few of the ambitious ones are going to want to be the first.
I don't see this Natal completely replacing traditional controls over night but someone has to and will take the first chance IMO

There are just certain types of games that aren't conducive to non-control schemes.

Driving games for instance. People want to feel the steering wheel, even more so if it has force feedback (to better judge the tires grip on the road).

A casual Kart type racer or arcade racer may not need it, but serious "hardcore" driving games will always need a good steering wheel IMO.

This isn't to say that motion controls can't be used to enhance a hardcore game that requires a physical controller however.

Using the driving example, being able to change view with subtle head movements to look into a corner for example.

Regards,
SB

ChefO I don't know how MS will sell Natal (new platform or new sku, the latter more likely)
Didn't they say that all current 360s will be able to do this?

I'm fairly confident I heard that on Jimmy Falon and he just screamed "I WANT THIS!" :LOL:

I'm expecting it to come free via a dashboard update.. at least the core software, that is. Ricochet will likely be a pay-for game. :p

ChefO I don't know how MS will sell Natal (new platform or new sku, the latter more likely) but it looks like they have extrememly ambitious goals if Shane Kim is to be believe:

Not that I think that they aim at a 60% market growth but still, they want to grow their market in a unique way, I wonder about their marketing budget it has to big crazy big :8O:

I think they have every intention to sell to this 60%.

I just don't think they'll have as much success in doing so with something called an "xbox360" that has strong connections and ties with traditional videogames which have strong ties to teenage boys.

Not at all but that doesnt make natal the most viable replacement by default. I think Natal in combination with a wii style nunchuck and pointer could be a good candidate for replacing the traditional controller but natal on its own in its current state no chance.

As an example would you be happy if MS scrapped traditional controls from here on out and forced natal usage from here on? I dont think so, it simply isnt suited to replacing the pad. I think the wii has been a good middle ground, its just a shame it hasnt had the software to truly please the hardcore so its been the software thats been the barrier more than the interface.

Back