Project Natal: MS Full Body 3D Motion Detection

From both a gameplay and image recognition POV I'd take 640x480x30. :p

After all I'm not expecting to use this as a main controller for Twitch action games.

Regards,
SB

Care to explain what Quake I/II have to do with image recognition resolution and frame rate?

Computer vision people will take 320x240x60fps anytime over 640x480x30fps, etc.
Well in that respect PSEye is well up there. I remember some dev(s) saying they were impressed with the 120 Hz mode and it'd be good, although sadly there's precious little PSEye software to consider. I gues we'll just have to wait and see what Natal comes with.

I'm fairly sure they were saying that the Burnout demo scanned at 30fps...

Everything does with Natal - or to be more precise, Natal outputs its skeleton information at 30fps. It's somewhere in this thread, maybe even first post.

EDIT: the Burnout quote is there also:

Eurogamer: How does Project Natal work with Burnout?
Alex Kipman: Essentially we do a 3D body scan of you. We graph 48 joints in your body and then those 48 joints are tracked in real-time, at 30 frames per second. So several for your head, shoulders, elbows, hands, feet...

That's 30fps for the 3D info. The video feed coule be 30 or 60, but I suppose it'd be packaged with a 30 fps feed. So I guess it's 640x480 30Hz video.

Care to explain what Quake I/II have to do with image recognition resolution and frame rate?

Sure, it's directly attributed to his rather ambiguous wording...

Computer vision people will take 320x240x60fps anytime over 640x480x30fps, etc.

Which doesn't necessarily have do with image recognition by a computer/console as he indicates "people."

Also having played games/photo manip at both 320x240 and 640x480, there's a distinct lack of resolution available to do anything other than incredibly basic image recognition at 320x240 compared to 640x480.

And considering this obviously isn't meant to be used for twitch gaming, I would much prefer better image recognition to faster but much poorer image recognition.

Regards,
SB

Sure, it's directly attributed to his rather ambiguous wording...

Which doesn't necessarily have do with image recognition by a computer/console as he indicates "people."
I don't know but maybe "computer vision" was the hint.

Also having played games/photo manip at both 320x240 and 640x480, there's a distinct lack of resolution available to do anything other than incredibly basic image recognition at 320x240 compared to 640x480.
OK, that makes perfect sense.

Back