Project Gotham Racing 4

1963 T-Back Stingray Corvette...

Now I have to buy it.

:cool:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] PGR 4 will also feature some of the world's most iconic cars, as new vehicles are lined up and ready to be driven, including the following:
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
    [*]2004 TVR Sagaris
    [*]1965 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray
    [*]2005 Vanwall GPR V12
    [*]1993 Toyota Supra Turbo
    [*]2005 Gumpert Apollo
    [*]1997 Panoz GTR-1 Coupe
    [*]2006 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano
    [*]1957 Maserati 250F
    [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Looks cool, but it's too bad they can't model the water actually flowing over the cars ala Toy Shop demo. :cry:

Perhaps the players car will have it in the final version becouse the video was labeled as 'work in progress'. And I hope they include rain drops hitting the ground to, and lots of them to give that sweet rainy day feel!

Spong alert!

Confirmed by both European and American sources, Gotham 4 will carry a vast array of motorcycles from the world's leading manufacturers. Right now, licensing deals are under way and as such, the code recently seen by our spies was displaying bikes on tracks with little in the way of official livery.

Perhaps the best news is that bikes and cars will be competing head-to-head in both on and offline versions of the game. We are told the bikes can crash, though this element of the code was not complete so unfortunately, we can only imagine the marvellous Road Rash-style mishaps that will result.

http://news.spong.com/article/12525

/salt

http://www.oxm.co.uk/articles/previews/racing/project_gotham_racing_5

PGR4 right now, at the beginning of March, looks very well developed and is running like a dream with its new features intact. Bizarre could probably pull a couple of late nights and have this on the shop shelves in time for next weekend if it wanted to. But instead, PGR4 is going to luxuriate in a full additional six months of love, fine-tuning and tweaking, all the way up to its autumn launch. If PGR3 was a rough quickie in a dirty toilet to get the job done, PGR4’s looking like a two-week luxury holiday to Love Island. And we’re already queuing with our bags.

Some other quotes from the interview...

Because you can see the droplets of water on the body of the car. This sounds silly until you see it yourself. It’s an incredible effect. It’s not just a ‘wet car’ texture stuck on the surface – you can see rounded little droplets sticking up from the body work. Hundreds, thousands of them. They flow together, trickling down the sides, gathering in little pools and disappearing. Even with six months of tweaking time left, this is one of the most impressive effects we’ve seen Xbox 360 generate.

The weather. It doesn’t just rain and make the track a bit slippery, either. PGR4 features puddles; vast lakes of standing water that lie on the corners of some tracks, like the huge one outside Sainsbury’s that the bus drivers always enjoy hammering through. The puddles aren’t mere cosmetic touches, either. They break the handling of your car, dragging wheels in and slowing you down, forcing you to remember where they appear and to take action.

And there’s snow too. You can watch flakes falling out of the sky, pausing the lot in Photo mode (which returns too) and zooming around to look through the haze of thousands of individual flakes.

The fog sat miserably in the lower bits of the course, then, as you climbed the hills, you emerged from the greyness into brilliant sunshine. It’s quite a thrilling effect. You’ll notice the sky go from bright to dark as clouds move in, perhaps erupting into a rain storm, and sometimes there’s even lightning.

We can’t tell you about other vehicles we’ve seen and how they’ll turn the game on its head. We’d better not blow the secret new Xbox Live options. Nor can we mention a mysterious new Microsoft ‘back end’ feature that’s debuting with PGR4, mainly because everyone went quiet and looked at the Microsoft people whenever it was mentioned.

Sounds impressive...

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-3.jpg

Although this racing doesnt try to be like GT in terms of visuals I am starting to feel as much excitement and just as impressed with its own visual achievements and style.

I am sure this game will have its own unique visual style. Anyone who looks at these newly released pics will notice that the cars or enviroments dont look "real" but they are beautiful in their own way. I wouldnt mind having a huge poster of these scenes in my room. Beautiful.

Whereas GT is trying to be the equivalent of an Artistically taken photo, PGR4 is trying to be the equivalent of a Michaelangelo painting for me

I've been less thrilled by its visuals so far, but who knows that may change ... but the gameplay of PGR is great. I love PGR2 on the Xbox, recently got my Xbox back and I've picked it up for a bit again. I especially like the Kudos challenges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although this racing doesnt try to be like GT in terms of visuals I am starting to feel as much excitement and just as impressed with its own visual achievements and style.

I am sure this game will have its own unique visual style. Anyone who looks at these newly released pics will notice that the cars or enviroments dont look "real" but they are beautiful in their own way. I wouldnt mind having a huge poster of these scenes in my room. Beautiful.

Whereas GT is trying to be the equivalent of an Artistically taken photo, PGR4 is trying to be the equivalent of a Michaelangelo painting for me

I've been less thrilled by its visuals so far, but who knows that may change ... but the gameplay of PGR is great. I love PGR2 on the Xbox, recently got my Xbox bock and I've picked it up for a bit again. I especially like the Kudos challenges.

Really? I think it looks amazing...

I'll be curious to see what pgr4 looks like without the weather fx. Obviously the rain simulation is the best yet seen in a racing game but how does the game look without these fx and without the cloud covered lighting? That is the true test.

I'm guessing they still won't dethrown the lighting perfection that is polyphony.
I'm anxious to see them try though. :smile:

I'm guessing they still won't dethrown the lighting perfection that is polyphony.
Pre-baked lighting in GT HD might look good on screenshots, but is extremely dull and unimpressive in motion.
As for PGR4, I'm really curious what surprise announcement Bizarre is keeping from us.;)

Dull

Pre-baked lighting in GT HD might look good on screenshots, but is extremely dull and unimpressive in motion.
As for PGR4, I'm really curious what surprise announcement Bizarre is keeping from us.;)

To me sometimes GTHD looks almost like movie and has most amazing lighting. I have not seen PGR4 movie but the screen shot with the wet red car looks great.

I'm anxious to see them try though. :smile:
I am under the impression that they aren't going to try.
The lighting and car models look somewhat similar to Burnout and Flatout, it looks like Bizarre may very well be after arcadey look.
:)
Car lighting in GTHD is as dynamic as any other. Maybe you are referring to lack of dynamic range, otherwise I would like to see something to back that claim.

To me it seems, you better continue attacking what isn't on screen (second car) rather than what is which is really above anything else.

I am under the impression that they aren't going to try.

The lighting in the top picture after:

"Sounds impressive..."

has perfect lighting.

To assume they will not attempt realistic lighting is a false assumption IMO and they were on the right track with pgr3 in recreating realistic lighting and environments IMO.

How close they come in daylight lighting without weather fx is another question.

Regarding GTHD's prebaked lighting, I really don't care how they did it. The end result is fantastic and though it may have limitations, it does well within it's limitations to match the devs target (reality).

To assume they will not attempt realistic lighting is a false assumption IMO and they were on the right track with pgr3 in recreating realistic lighting and environments IMO.

You are right, if they go with PGR3's style, then it's the weather effect I am seeing.

Look again. This looks way better...

I meant in terms of arcadey feel which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Back