(Probably futile) Forum Feature Request

Simon F

Tea maker
Veteran
Supporter
B3D has become quite busy of late and there are a lot topics of conversation taking place. Many of these hold no interest for me (or initially do but then rapidly decay into noise).

In some Usenet readers, there is a feature to 'ignore' certain threads, and I'd like to be able to mark certain B3D 'debates' the same way. That would save me a lot of time trying to remember which are worthwhile reading and those which are best 'left alone'.

I presume this would be 'doable' as B3D itself already keeps track of which individual threads have been recently read etc. Of course, I appreciate that it might be very difficult to customise given that the forum is probably using a generic system.

Well, I personally don't know if this could be done or not (dave would know) but you sure want to do this even if it could be done? I've seen many threads degenerating into "noise" and then picking up again with interesting discussions.

Just "work" harder when browsing at B3D :)

RussSchultz said:
I can barely work at all because of B3D
:D

I can't say it's that bad for me but it seems to be getting worse. There are now about 3 pages of topics when I come in of a morning and only 25% of them seem to be relevant.

Hey Simon,

No, I'm not about to go and hack up/mod the forum code - I don't really have time to do that just now.

phpbb2.2 is under development, and it looks like they have most of it done so hopefully it won't be too long now:

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/

Theres a number of new features in there that I hope will be of use, one of which is a merge thread feature. There's also 'sub forums' and I'm wondering if these can be used to promote posts withing threads somehow.

Back