Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony doesn't have to collaborate or share source with Microsoft to bolt into Visual Studio. They can, and do, develop plugins for VS, and the compiler is easily integrated. Honestly, unless Sony can again command a monopoly in the console market (which is effectively what they had), they will need to work to minimize the pain of cross-platform development, and a big part of that is the toolchain.

I'm not disagreeing with you except I don't think it's quite as simple as you suggest. There is more to consider than writing plugins and that is not a solution for everything to begin with.

We both agree that Sony should make cross platform development as simple as possible. Let's leave it there.

I love this bit:

Intel also appears to be heding its bets by wooing Sony by going after the Playstation 4, which won’t be out until at least 2011. The Xbox720 will be out in the market a fair while before that.

I mean, if they're saying it, surely they have a source for it, right? It seems like confirmation that the '720' is coming out before 2011 would be bigger news than 'Intel is wooing console manufacturers'. But again, it is the inquirer.

MS might go for it if Intel match the prices IBM offer them for a PowerPC/CELL (If Sony haven't stipulated against this already) cpu.

Wasn't one of the reasons MS went with IBM because Intel wouldn't budge on prices for the original xbox?

I think the PS4 is pretty much set in stone already to be a CELL+Nvidia based system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the PS4 is pretty much set in stone already to be a CELL+Nvidia based system.

You would think, but one thing this generation demonstrated for Sony is that backwards compatibility isn't as crucial to Sony.

There are probably at least as many PS3s without BC in the installed base as there are units with BC.

If Intel could undercut Cell and nVidia?

You would think, but one thing this generation demonstrated for Sony is that backwards compatibility isn't as crucial to Sony.

There are probably at least as many PS3s without BC in the installed base as there are units with BC.

Well, it's not just BC, it's whatever they invested in the development of Cell as well.

BC would not be the main reason for going this route. RnD recoup and dev familiarity are the reasons for going CELL 2+Nvidia

IMO Cell2 is all but set in stone for Sony, that said, no reason not to listen to Intel to see if they could blow them away with a Larabee deal. NVidia on the other hand, I'd say Sony is unimpressed enough with what they received from their RSX offering that ATI has a legitimate opportunity to step in, they could even look at a Cell based option there too.

IMO Cell2 is all but set in stone for Sony, that said, no reason not to listen to Intel to see if they could blow them away with a Larabee deal. NVidia on the other hand, I'd say Sony is unimpressed enough with what they received from their RSX offering that ATI has a legitimate opportunity to step in, they could even look at a Cell based option there too.

Yeah, and this has been further compounded by the seriously lacking performance vs efficiency factors of the G280.So, Nvidia has a serious chance of getting knocked off its playstation pirch. The Xenos was a fairly good kick in the nuts to to the ps3 considering ps3 arrived the year after.

and RV770 is showing the best price / porformance / efficiency of any chip for a very long time. AMD are ticking all the right boxes.

If I had to guess I would say :

MS: Larrabee could be in Xbox360 if the deal is really really sweet. But more likely it will be an all AMD solution this time around. They may as well fuck the IBM cpu off next gen.
Sony: Cell2 for sure. But with AMD GPU instead of Nvidia. Since G80 first launched they have really gone off the boil and RSX wasnt breathtaking anyway. (though I dont think they had much RnD time to be fair). Also: There maybe a chance that Sony could go, Cell2 + Larrabee. Now that would be a weird and wonderful processing powerhouse with some peculiar mismating.

Yeah, and this has been further compounded by the seriously lacking performance vs efficiency factors of the G280.So, Nvidia has a serious chance of getting knocked off its playstation pirch. The Xenos was a fairly good kick in the nuts to to the ps3 considering ps3 arrived the year after.

and RV770 is showing the best price / porformance / efficiency of any chip for a very long time. AMD are ticking all the right boxes.

If I had to guess I would say :

MS: Larrabee could be in Xbox360 if the deal is really really sweet. But more likely it will be an all AMD solution this time around. They may as well fuck the IBM cpu off next gen.
Sony: Cell2 for sure. But with AMD GPU instead of Nvidia. Since G80 first launched they have really gone off the boil and RSX wasnt breathtaking anyway. (though I dont think they had much RnD time to be fair). Also: There maybe a chance that Sony could go, Cell2 + Larrabee. Now that would be a weird and wonderful processing powerhouse with some peculiar mismating.

I think that MS will stick with an IBM based CPU and a future iteration on that unless it goes all Larrabee :).

They have a good working relationship with the talented team that designed Xenon in a record time and good compilers and tools optimized around it so unless they are wooed back to x86 to their console offering by Larrabee then I see them staying with IBM.

Also, do not judge PS4's GPU pitch by GT200's performance or by some shortcomings of RSX (which are not entirely nVIDIA's fault given the R&D time they could spend on it), but by GT300 and GT400 projected performance figures and plans for better CELL/CELLv2 CPU-GPU integration (i.e. maybe going to UMA and solve that CELL reading from VRAM at 16 MB/s problem/gaffe?).

I'd say it's looking better than 50-50 Larrabee will show up in Xbox 3. Dont forget that Intel is considered a key ally of MS, and that as recounted in Takahashi's book, Bill Gates made a personal last ditch appeal to his 360 engineers to try to figure out a way to get Intel in the 360 box (an appeal that obviously failed).

What this means for performance is anybodys guess, I think it offers the possibility coupled with Intel's process and clock edges to leapfrog the competition years in advance, conversly, it may fall flat on it's face versus a powerful traditional Nvidia chip.

It's extremely exciting, though.

I doubt that was all Nvidias fault. I think the key reason Sony ended up with RSX was they couldn't decided what they wanted to do until too late in the game. According to rumors they had plans for both a Toshiba GPU and a all-cell no GPU PS3 design. When it became clear both of these would fall on their face performance wise, Sony was forced to bolt on a essentially off the shelf GPU from NVidia given the time constraints.

Givenn that, RSX has held up pretty well I'd say, it's certainly at no huge disadvantage to the custom designed Xenos.

Perhaps we shouldn't assume that next gen consoles are going to be very powerful...
What would you consider not "very powerful" ?
Less then 2 "real" TFlops"?

Gates contacted Intel because he wanted some Windows to run on the box, no?
For MS X86 would be a blessing.

If Intel is so willing about forcing larrabee in a console and is ok to cut drastically in its margins well everything is possible. I mean how many money Intel is ready to pay to force "X86 everywhere"?

For Ms advantages could be numerous:
for PC they already have all the tools they wanted.
Support from third party engine/middle-ware (not to mention that Intel owns havoc).
PC portability (obviously).

And if the deal (a good one) were to be signed soon it would drastically affect the R&D costs related hardware. Ms could mostly focus on software side of thing from now and Ms has quiet some resources here).

Such a deal would also affects Intel. For their investors the product could no longer be viewed as a possible dead end/ costly try. Development budget could be raised.
The result could be a better larrabee to begin with.

Right now the larrabee prototype are rumored to be 16 cores @1GHz.
What it could be in two or three years?
Intel engineering power is impressive if they go full steam knowing that the deal they signed with Ms will in the worst case cover R&D costs... well the sky is limit.

Kidding but actually I think that the larrabee V.2 could end being quiet impressive.

larrabe on the paper looks less powerful compared to the ati and nvidia on the paper card

maybe MS will looks to the next next ati gen for easing BC emulator cost (or keep it hardware)

larrabe on the paper looks less powerful compared to the ati and nvidia on the paper card

maybe MS will looks to the next next ati gen for easing BC emulator cost (or keep it hardware)
By nature and given the likely huge gap in power emulate the xenos on the larrabee should not been tough.
The cpu part might be more bothering.

In regard to power in which ways do you think that larrabee looks less powerful than ATI/Nvidia designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back