PPE = Xenon CPU core confirmed?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by JF_Aidan_Pryde, May 22, 2005.

1. JF_Aidan_Pryde

Regular

Has it been more or less settled that the PPE in Cell is the same as the cores used in the Xenon CPU?

2. The GameMaster

Newcomer

No... there is very little details about the 3 custom G5 CPUs that the XBox360 is using. But I will tell you that they are NOT the PPE that was being using in the Cell CPU design. I would suspect Microsoft will unviel that eventually...

The GameMaster...

3. hugo

Newcomer

It definitely isn't the same.The full Cell 9-core processor can be overclocked above 4Ghz while the XCPU has already reached quite its peak.

It would be a blow if Sony would up the clock frequency of the current Cell processor spec that was presented at E3 recently.I am sure it can be done at the last minute.The 3.2Ghz clock rate that they stated could be part of their plans not to reveal everything all at once.

4. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

Or like the 7 SPE design it could be a testiment to the fact they want good yields. Look, they already outperform their competitor in FP performance by almost 2:1, I would think at this point limiting heat, controlling power consumption, and improving yields would be more important.

5. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

I will say this, I used to believe this was true(minus the VMX changes of course), but these days I'm not so sure.

6. hugo

Newcomer

As you've mentioned they've probably reduced the number of SPEs from 8 to 7 was because of better yield.The possibility of increasing the final frequency of the PS3 Cell is even more likely with this.There is still space for 200-300mhz for the Cell to go IMO.

As a comparison the prototype STI Cell could hit 4.6GHz without problems.I would think the current 3.2Ghz clock frequency is just a little low compared to that.

7. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Here's the answer of the thread.

8. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

ERP: those issues you was referring to in another thread..could be due to different compilers technology?

9. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

I don't believe it accounts for the size of the difference.

But you can never tell, I recently witnessed a piece of code running 10x faster in debug mode than in release, because a compiler tried to reorder some writes to write combined memory.

10. V3

V3
    Veteran

From what I heard from one IBM guy, it isn't the same. Not even close according to him.

11. blakjedi

Veteran

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think that the fabrication process is the same for both chips... for now at least whatever limitations affect the PPC core in 360 also affect (and even worse) in Cell.

After touting 4.6 Ghz theoretically for Cell publicly clocking it at the SAME frequency as X360 core is telling.

12. passby

Newcomer

This just reminded me that PPE details have not been disclosed at all. As a reminder by realworldtech:
    Funny that we actually know more about a SPE than a PPE. Both PPE and X-CPU are still work in progress?

13. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

I'm surprised Sony even announced clock speeds at this point, but I consider them to be targets that could go up or down. Until they make a significant number of chips it's difficult to know what speeds will result in the best bang for the buck regarding yields and performance.

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Wasn't there rumour a while back that XB360's cores were being clocked lower than expected because of yield problems? That rumour seems bunk (the rest of it) but fabbing issues makes sense, as to why both XB360 and PS3 are clokced at c. 3 GHz, plus IBM isn't reknowned for fast CPUs.

15. PC-Engine

Banned

I also found it funny that they were claiming 4.6GHz speeds in the lab to one up Intel but then had to packpedal with a mediocre 3.2GHz chip.

16. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I know!! The PPE is actually a..... PPU! :twisted:

17. Mordecaii

Regular

It's hardly mediocre, the fact is that it gives them plenty of performance at 3.2 GHz, which will give them better yields and less heat, which will save them money. Do you have anything constructive to say at all PC-Engine, or do you just enjoy trolling?

18. PC-Engine

Banned

Actually I'm kinda wonderin why you've suddenly stopped your KZ is realtime crusade. :wink: :lol:

19. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

In the first unveiling of the "Cell" it wasn't said that "Cell" is the one that's going to be on PS3, which of course has many other things in it that affect the "Cell" clockspeed.
    Who knows, didn't they up the PS2 clockspeeds, maybe the 3.2MHz will be upped too.
    The PS3 shown at E3 was a prototype after all.

20. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

So now 3.2GHz for a home console is mediocre? Because that's the number Sony gave it? Wow... You never cease to amaze me... I guess anything else clocked at around 3.2GHz is mediocre for you then, including the X360 and most PC CPUs out now.