Post details about internet connection you have....

london-boy said:
Are you sure?? With a 12Meg connection you should get downloads at more than 1MBytes/sec! And with 1M upload you should be uploading at more than 100KBytes/sec

Yeah, I once got 1MB/s from the ISP's server. But that's a long time ago.
Getting 100KB/s from 1Mbps upload is good enough for me. :)

pcchen said:
london-boy said:
Are you sure?? With a 12Meg connection you should get downloads at more than 1MBytes/sec! And with 1M upload you should be uploading at more than 100KBytes/sec

Yeah, I once got 1MB/s from the ISP's server. But that's a long time ago.
Getting 100KB/s from 1Mbps upload is good enough for me. :)

Well yes, more than enough, and i usually limit my upload speed to 10KB or so otherwise everything else grinds to a halt (what's with ADSL lines download transfer speed being inversely proportional to the upload one?!!)

london-boy said:
(what's with ADSL lines download transfer speed being inversely proportional to the upload one?!!)

I think it's because the ISP want to protect their high profit leased line services.
For normal users, they download much more than upload. However, for servers, the reverse is true. By providing a faster download, slow upload service, they make normal users happy, and keep the business/server users with their expensive leased line services.
Some ISPs also have some ADSL services targeting small business users. For example, some ISPs have a 512K/512K service with fixed IPs, back-up line, network flow management, etc. These services are cheaper than leased lines, but they are more expensive than "consumer-level" services.

pcchen said:
london-boy said:
(what's with ADSL lines download transfer speed being inversely proportional to the upload one?!!)

I think it's because the ISP want to protect their high profit leased line services.
For normal users, they download much more than upload. However, for servers, the reverse is true. By providing a faster download, slow upload service, they make normal users happy, and keep the business/server users with their expensive leased line services.
Some ISPs also have some ADSL services targeting small business users. For example, some ISPs have a 512K/512K service with fixed IPs, back-up line, network flow management, etc. These services are cheaper than leased lines, but they are more expensive than "consumer-level" services.

:D What i meant is, i hate the fact that when i upload at full speed, i can't download (more or less) and vide versa. And that the higher is the upload speed, the lower is the dload one. Which forces people to keep upload speed (for torrents for example) low in order to maximise their download speed...

Type of Connection: ADSL
Brand/ISP name: Freedom2Surf
Connection Speed: 2Mbps up/256kbps down
Data Transfer Limit (if applicable): 2GB/month, unmetered between 1am-6am!
No of Hours (if applicable): N/A
Any Comment: I have a 10MBps LAN connection at work that I can use for personal use, so don't mind usage cap at home.
Average Data Transfer Speed (upload): 253kBps
Average Data Transfer Speed (download): dunno
Expense per month (in USD): £14.99/month

london-boy said:
:D What i meant is, i hate the fact that when i upload at full speed, i can't download (more or less) and vide versa. And that the higher is the upload speed, the lower is the dload one. Which forces people to keep upload speed (for torrents for example) low in order to maximise their download speed...

I see, this is a common problem in ADSL. When I was using 512K/64K ADSL, it's impossible to download anything if uploading rate reaches 5KB/s. It mostly the same in the new 2M/256K ADSL. I have to set the upload limit in bittorrent to 15KB/s to avoid hampering download rate.

However, with my 12M/1M ADSL (and also former 2M/512K ADSL), I didn't observe anything similar. It seems that I can download at good speed while uploading at 100KB/s.

When dl'ing, you send some kind of "acknowledge" frames, so you always have to have some bandwidth for that. If your bandwidth is devoted to uploads only, it prevents you from downloading.

_xxx_ said:
When dl'ing, you send some kind of "acknowledge" frames, so you always have to have some bandwidth for that. If your bandwidth is devoted to uploads only, it prevents you from downloading.

which is VERY bad, cause i dont use torrents to upload stuff ;)

silence said:
_xxx_ said:

which is VERY bad, cause i dont use torrents to upload stuff ;)

No, it's a part of TCP/IP. When you receive a data frame you have to send either "acknowledge" if it's ok, or "request" for the sender to repeat it if the checksum failed for example. I don't know the exact wording in this case, but that's how protocols usually work.

Back