Possible reason DM controller doesn't support rumble?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
It's just occured to me that for any FF on a BlueTooth device the device would need to receive signals in two way communications. Would that add to cost and complexity? As it currently stands the PS3's DM controller should only need a transmitter, and the PS3 potentially only a receiver, but I don't know if BlueTooth is bidirectional by default and if this makes any odds.

Have you seen how tiny a BT transciever is these days man? I seriously doubt cutting either component would result in any cost realizations. Rather, instead of buying one standard BT piece of hardware, you'd have to engineer and manufacture something custom...

Besides, you need both transmit and receive for stuff like setting up channel hopping/encryption, handshaking, error correction/packet resend and such.

Not to mention, there's little LEDs on the pads too that show which player has which pad...

You might be right on that. I'm not going to say that correct as I'm not really familar with bluetooth that much, but it sounds about right.

But with cell phones, doesnt the phone give headsets a signal, and the headset sends a signal back to the phone? I could be wrong like I said im not to familar with it.

Maybe its a combination of the two explanations. (yours and sony's)

If the fact that it's wireless prevents it from becoming a fully functional rumbling device, they can easily use the USB controller-cable supplied with it to make it work anyway, since that cable in included for recharging batteries and for people who don't like wireless gaming. They just would have to say : rumble-feature only optional for non-wireless gaming.

Official story sounds more logical, a sensitive sensor that needs to detect small movements will get affected by a rumble-feature. I think this tiltsensor is like a little compass in 3D, and will easily be affected by such a thing.

But as I said elsewhere, I don't understand why Sony just does not make it an or/or optional choice for the devs and player itself, to choose to turn on either tilt or rumble in a game. I heard some people holding the new controller thought it was almost too light, so get the rumble motors back in, together with gyro for best of both worlds. :smile:

Shifty Geezer said:
It's just occured to me that for any FF on a BlueTooth device the device would need to receive signals in two way communications. Would that add to cost and complexity? As it currently stands the PS3's DM controller should only need a transmitter, and the PS3 potentially only a receiver, but I don't know if BlueTooth is bidirectional by default and if this makes any odds.

Well, the Wii remote is Bluetooth as well, at least according to the official Japanese site. So I really doubt that could be the reason.
Also the rumbling supposedly interfering with the tilt sensors sounds kind of fishy to me as Wiiremote has rumbling, even the old MS pad from 199x had rumbling.
I think Sony rather wanted to avoid to put additional pressure on their Immersion law suit.

TrollFace said:
But as I said elsewhere, I don't understand why Sony just does not make it an or/or optional choice for the devs and player itself, to choose to turn on either tilt or rumble in a game. I heard some people holding the new controller thought it was almost too light, so get the rumble motors back in, together with gyro for best of both worlds. :smile:

2 reasons:
Immersion
91 million

Back