Popup ads

I'm using a pop-up blocker, and B3D is the only forum/site I visit that consistently produces pop-up ads. I'm pretty sure it isn't some spyware on my computer, because (1) I keep this thing firewalled and locked down pretty tight and (2) it only happens on B3D - I can surf for hours without a problem, but come here and I get a dozen per hour it seems. Maybe more.

So maybe this is a decision the admins made to increase revenue. Ok... I like the site, so if that is the case and it is a necessary evil I can live with that. But if not I thought someone should know. I don't see any halfway recent threads (this year) dealing with this question.

At the very least, I don't like the idea that B3D's popups make it through my filter. At the worst it seems somehow dirty. This B3D after all... seems like everything around here keeps to a very high standard. This would be very out of character IMO.

which browser and what kind of pop-up protection?

for instance "AdBlock" extension in Firefox has option to "support sites", where it shows that add was loaded, thus giving revenue to site, while it blocks it for you and you never see it.....

BTW :: B3D is only site i enabled this option for....

urm....i dont see ay ads anywhere....

my two most important filters in Adblock are :
*banner*
*add*

that does miracles ;)

Whoa, B3D has pop up ads? I didnt know it did, I just use the default popup blocker built into Firefox and I've never even got a notification on this site. And the banner ads never bother me. Even if there were some pop ups I'd let B3Ds come up if it helped the site in some way, a great place.

Well, that's interesting. The popup blocker is nothing special - just the Google bar - but I use a firewall (hardware and Kerio software) and check routinely to make sure the machine is free from spyware/adware.

It doesn't happen anywhere else, but I get them consistently here. Any ideas as to what else could be going on? This is just IE 6.0.2800.1106 sp2. I'll try it on my firefox machine and see if I notice any indications there. Something is difinitely going on... if it were spyware on the machine, why would this be the only site to trigger problems? Hmm...

Bigus.... if you use IE its good idea to have SpyBot S&D also with immunization on.... it does prevent lots of spyware getting installed....

It's worse than that. You don't even have to have B3D up anymore. That Inqwire crap is rootkitted in or something.

I was getting inqwire stuff the last few days. This morning, I updated Ad-aware + spybot S&D definitions, then scanned my system with both. I haven't seen inqwire all day.

And I had MS Antispyware running also, but inqwire still got through. I guess I'm going to have to update and scan every few days. I'm going to try spybot immunize function too.

Never had a popup here since I installed Firefox last year. And with the flashblock extension I don't have to read the flash animations if I don't want to.

Okay, I've had B3D open ever since the upgrade and haven't had a popup yet. Coincidence or cause and effect?

Edit: But today they're back, so guess not.

Last edited by a moderator:
PatrickL said:
Never had a popup here since I installed Firefox last year. And with the flashblock extension I don't have to read the flash animations if I don't want to.

heh.... same here.... never seen single pop-up on B3D.... TBH, i practically forgot what pop-ups are after installing Firefox.... i have seen only few pop-unders recentlly, but that was like 2-3 tops.... on some po..urm..educational sites sites;)

people, try Firefox, it doesnt hurt. it might even help you.

Back