PLEASE HELP IE taking 100% CPU time!!

Dont format, dont partition, dont do anything of the sort. The problem is a corrupted video file, or files. I just fixed this very same problem on a friends comp last week. First thing you need to do is figure out which one it is. Most likely, it is the newest file you put in there..
Try moving them to another directory, or deleting them one by one (make sure recycle bin is large enough so you can undo) and explorer should tell you 'cant move/delete xxx because it is in use by another application'.
After you figure out which file(s) cause the problem, reboot, go directly to command prompt, and delete the file(s). Dont open that directory first or you will be unable to delete it.
Your problem will be gone.

Edit: BTW, explorer.exe is not IE.

freon_ said:
Dont format, dont partition, dont do anything of the sort. The problem is a corrupted video file, or files. I just fixed this very same problem on a friends comp last week. First thing you need to do is figure out which one it is. Most likely, it is the newest file you put in there..
Try moving them to another directory, or deleting them one by one (make sure recycle bin is large enough so you can undo) and explorer should tell you 'cant move/delete xxx because it is in use by another application'.
After you figure out which file(s) cause the problem, reboot, go directly to command prompt, and delete the file(s). Dont open that directory first or you will be unable to delete it.
Your problem will be gone.

Edit: BTW, explorer.exe is not IE.

ooooooooooh thanks, will try this tonight. after i print this cause by the time i get home i'll have forgotten everything... My recycle bin isn't big enough, i take it i can choose the size by changing its properties...

and i think it's gonna be fileS. I've recently made some MPEG2 videos using the video-in capturing thing in my GFFX 5900U VIVO, or whatever it's called, from old VHS i had. The problem starrted from there. The MPEG2 vids must have something to do with it. BUT THEY WORK! Thats' the thing... they work just fine. And doing them all over again using another codec is gonna suck...
And now i have to do the whole VHS thing again... so can't be bothered...

Right, done what mr man up here said. Didn't work. Not only that, but i didn't even find the file that can't be deleted because it's in use by another application. In fact, all my videos are now in my recycle bin, all traumatised after their near-death experience and waiting to be restored. So i'm still stuck.

Partition Magic does do fat32, I've repartitioned on the fly with it before.

What's the status LB? Where are we at, still square one or has there been any change?

london-boy said:
Not only that, but i didn't even find the file that can't be deleted because it's in use by another application.
Did you try booting up into safe-mode to find/delete it? :|
(Sorry, couldn't resist! *:p* )

Did you have the 100% CPU usage situation when you tried this?
Are you sure it is happening when you open that directory, and not another?

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:
Well... I converted all those MPEGs into WMVs and the problem is gone. That was easy.

That means you had a corrupt Mpeg file, or were using a codec that couldn't read it correctly.

Well it took me all weekend, it was a lot of videos, and the MPEG2->WMV conversion is not exactly fast... But i'm cool. Guess that was the only thing i could do.

And i'm not sure why, but there must be something wrong with my Winfast VIVO software thing, all the videos i took with it were corrupted. Not really corrupted since they worked great, but they were the ones that caused the whole problem...

digitalwanderer said:
Does that mean it's all better now? :|

Yep all better. Think outside the freaking box hey.... I'm such a genius... And now that the files are WMVs, loads more space free on my HD... ;)

london-boy said:
And i'm not sure why, but there must be something wrong with my Winfast VIVO software thing, all the videos i took with it were corrupted. Not really corrupted since they worked great, but they were the ones that caused the whole problem...

I'm taking a guess that it uses some kind of bastardised version of mpeg as a proprietry format that doesn't/cannot integrate into Windows Explorer multimedia preview function. However, it does work as a standard video codec, which is why your various movie players can still play these files.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:

I'm taking a guess that it uses some kind of bastardised version of mpeg as a proprietry format that doesn't/cannot integrate into Windows Explorer multimedia preview function. However, it does work as a standard video codec, which is why your various movie players can still play these files.

Must be. thing is, not everytime i record something, i need to save it as a bastardised MPEG 1 or 2, then re-convert it into something else, in my case WMV. And it takes time.

Back