Playstation Portal Remote Play Device

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99​

a78c95f3054374fa25b193910aea85992b5258d8-scaled.jpg

ce6b14502d029b2369f5160f68f3df29dcc6d1e6-scaled.jpg

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99​

a78c95f3054374fa25b193910aea85992b5258d8-scaled.jpg

ce6b14502d029b2369f5160f68f3df29dcc6d1e6-scaled.jpg
Wut???

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi**,

**Requires broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended.

---

So it seems Sony doubled down on mandatory internet connection even for local play?

Currently with PS4 remoteplay, you need to have a working internet connection to launch the app. Then internet connection no longer needed.

But with playstation q remote play... Internet connection always required?

So.. it's just downsides all the way down. Better to just use android phone + controller + 3rd party remoteplay app.

Heck, better to use chiaki on Nintendo switch.

ehhh 8" 16:9 screen with integrated first party traditional controller will be superior to a phone + whatever.

I like this on the ergonomics alone. Don't have to worry about specs, storage. Theoretically lighter, theoretically good battery life(though Sony can scrimp on it and dualsense features impact).

I mean if a PS5 Pro comes out ...presumably this is still working with that since it's just streaming.

If this can be hacked to work with other streaming service (Geforce Now, Gamepass) it's automatically the best streaming handheld on the market imo @ $200 and those ergonomics.

A missed opportunity to have it PS5 remote play only. Would have been a great cloud gaming option if tied in to PS Now or whatever they call it now, especially with the push that Sony is supposedly making with PS5 games through the cloud (4K resolution through the cloud etc).

Hopefully, it can be hacked and other services added. Would be a nice alternative to having to buy a console.

$200 price which is great. However

• no Bluetooth, you have to buy new PlayStation Link compatible headsets
• no local play, not even media playback
• no PS5 cloud streaming
• targeting same battery life as DualSense controllers

I don't get this device at all. With things like steam deck on the market which can be had as low as $360 on sale and fire hd tabelts existing at sub $100 price points to play xcloud/geforce now/ ubi plus who is this really targeting?

This device baffles me. I get the small use case this has, but equally small will be the number of buyers? I really don't understand how this product went through to completion at Sony.
Hmmm it's $100 too expensive
Agreed.

This seems like some product manager went from Apple to Sony and this is what they came out with.

Wut???

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house. PlayStation Portal will connect remotely to your PS5 over Wi-Fi**,

**Requires broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended.

---

So it seems Sony doubled down on mandatory internet connection even for local play?

Currently with PS4 remoteplay, you need to have a working internet connection to launch the app. Then internet connection no longer needed.

But with playstation q remote play... Internet connection always required?

So.. it's just downsides all the way down. Better to just use android phone + controller + 3rd party remoteplay app.

Heck, better to use chiaki on Nintendo switch.
I dont see much of a point either. Other than the fact that the controller on Q maintains fully all the functionalities of a standard PS5 controller on one portable device where you are holding comfortably screen and controller.
It is one of the things you are missing when playing on your phone or tablet currently.

I dont see much of a point either. Other than the fact that the controller on Q maintains fully all the functionalities of a standard PS5 controller on one portable device where you are holding comfortably screen and controller.
It is one of the things you are missing when playing on your phone or tablet currently.
It's really odd since their competition MS has had this ability for a long time.

I have done this to my surface pro 6/9 and also to my fire hd 10 tablet which is a 2018/19 tablet that cost me $80 on sale. I have also set this up to work to my phone. All this makes a lot more sense to me as a consumer because those are existing devices I use for other things and if I bring any of them with my on vacation or what have you , they can be used even if my console at homes goes down or I have no internet where I am at. My surface will still let me play windows games / watch movies/ do work . My fire tablet will let me read books or play games on the app store and my phone is well my phone.

The only thing this has going to it is that Sony has this feature locked down to only this device. So if you want this feature its the only option for you

The only thing this has going to it is that Sony has this feature locked down to only this device. So if you want this feature its the only option for you

Do they, though? Dont they support remote play on other screens too?

Not so. You can install the Remote Play app on Windows PC's, Android, and iOS devices. It's been that way for years. For a while before, only Sony smartphones had the official Remote Play app.

In terms of full compatibility with the DualSense, Android devices have to be above a certain OS version. I assume that's the case with iOS too. And the DualSense is supported on both Windows and MacOS versions of Remote Play.

As for this PSPortal, I think it's pretty disappointing if it never sees expanded functionality by way of firmware updates. It desperately needs to be able to stream via PS+ as a matter of priority. In addition, some kind of second screen functionality would render this a solid device.

Do they, though? Dont they support remote play on other screens too?

They have remote play apps for Windows, Android and iOS.

Not so. You can install the Remote Play app on Windows PC's, Android, and iOS devices. It's been that way for years. For a while before, only Sony smartphones had the official Remote Play app.

In terms of full compatibility with the DualSense, Android devices have to be above a certain OS version. I assume that's the case with iOS too. And the DualSense is supported on both Windows and MacOS versions of Remote Play.

As for this PSPortal, I think it's pretty disappointing if it never sees expanded functionality by way of firmware updates. It desperately needs to be able to stream via PS+ as a matter of priority. In addition, some kind of second screen functionality would render this a solid device.

So then I have no idea who this is really for except people who will only buy sony hardware

I'm so confused about this - it sounds to me like it would allow me to play with a 5G hotspot from my phone anywhere as long as my PS5 is connected to my Home WiFi? i.e.: it's capable of remote peer-to-peer with your PS5 even if you're not on the same WiFi network. So the game is being rendered on your own PS5 rather than "in the cloud" but that doesn't make it local-only which is kinda interesting for people like me with strong enough unlimited home and 5G connections.

If that's true, why the heck isn't Sony advertising that as the main use case, rather than this "other room" nonsense? Are they actively trying to kill their own product?!

Or am I wrong and you can't do that? Or has everyone else realised this and still thinks it's a useless product? I don't think iOS/Android + Dual Sense is a reasonable alternative for many use cases while travelling as the screen/controller are separate, but I suppose Steam Deck(-like device) + Remote Play would be an alternative? Which would be more expensive but a lot more flexible (not sure how much the slightly different controllers would matter, I can see the appeal of the Dual Sense-like controllers on the Portal, but I can't imagine it's worth that amount of money if you already have or are interested in a Steam Deck).

But what completely kills the Portal for me is the lack of bluetooth... The fact I can't use my Sony XM5 headphones with it is so stupid I have no words.

Last edited:
I don't think iOS/Android + Dual Sense is a reasonable alternative for many use cases while travelling as the screen/controller are separate,
There are lots of these clips:

1693590937927.png

I have one and it works well, and allows use of controller for Android games. The only advantage of the PlayStation Portal is ergonomics at a stupid price tag and a duff name that sounds more like a service than a portable gaming apparatus. Surely I use my PlayStation Portal to access my PlayStation Account??

Yeah the name is super dumb as you can't even access your PS account and various PS services (e.g. Game cloud streaming) on it

Ouch, this sounds like a 99 USD device at most considering its limited functionality and even that's a stretch, IMO. What a weird product.

200 USD might be worth it if it could connect to Sony's cloud gaming service (or any cloud gaming service), maybe... But even then, an NSW would be a significantly better buy with much more portable usability.

Regards,
SB

Back