Playstation Portal Remote Play Device

Ouch, this sounds like a 99 USD device at most considering its limited functionality and even that's a stretch, IMO. What a weird product.

200 USD might be worth it if it could connect to Sony's cloud gaming service (or any cloud gaming service), maybe... But even then, an NSW would be a significantly better buy with much more portable usability.

Regards,
SB
At $99 I think it would be a nifty add-on for a PS5, even if it supported in-home streaming only. Especially if it could also function as a regular DualSense controller.

Remote streaming from a PS5 at home is not going to be pretty. What a weird concept.

Sold out in Canada. Sorry read that wrong. It’s 199 USD
Edit sorry. One more day until it goes on sale.

The pre-order page on Sonys site has it as sold out however

Last edited:
That would have been ideal as an extension device of your PS5.

The cloud streaming is related to using it as a standalone gaming device that streams games from Sony's Cloud gaming service without the need of a PS5. There are no PS5 cloud games currently AFAIK though

Ouch, this sounds like a 99 USD device at most considering its limited functionality and even that's a stretch, IMO. What a weird product.

200 USD might be worth it if it could connect to Sony's cloud gaming service (or any cloud gaming service), maybe... But even then, an NSW would be a significantly better buy with much more portable usability.

Regards,
SB

Most of the gaming press is very positive about it and then Engadget and Theverge etc complain about everything thats its not. They are not the audience. Bare controller for remoteplay costs $99. NSW or Steamdeck does not do the fidelity of PS5 games at 60fps.. for most people about 50-60ms more latency @60fps vs native is worth the tradeoff when you would be playing at barely 30fps PS4 quality on steamdeck anyway.

This screen/controller setup is clearly better than any other option.

Bluetooth audio has too much latency for it to not be anything but a bullet point..

Last edited:
I'm also surprised by how much some folks are liking this device, but I'm obviously not the target audience. I would never want to use my Switch at home, and I guess this is in part of the market; folks who want to game at home on a smaller screen rather than a larger screen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most of the gaming press is very positive about it and then Engadget and Theverge etc complain about everything thats its not. They are not the audience. Bare controller for remoteplay costs $99. NSW or Steamdeck does not do the fidelity of PS5 games at 60fps.. for most people about 50-60ms more latency @60fps vs native is worth the tradeoff when you would be playing at barely 30fps PS4 quality on steamdeck anyway.

This screen/controller setup is clearly better than any other option.

Bluetooth audio has too much latency for it to not be anything but a bullet point..

That made me want to look into it more and see if it was actually a distorted view or not.

Add to the list of gaming press that think it's a decent device but why would you get one when there are better options for remote play: Polygon, Wired, Tomsguide, PCMag

Places that think it's a nice device but question if it's worth 200 USD: CNET, Digital Trends

Places that like the hardware but aren't sure yet if it'll work for them: Gamesradar

Places that really like it but think it's only for a very narrow and small market: ComicBook.com, VGC

Places that liked it, although they think it needs some serious work in some areas: IGN, Kotaku, Techradar

Of course, similar to any cloud gaming device the quality of your internet connection is of utmost importance. Bat connection, bad experience.

Bluetooth missing is almost universally considered something that Sony needs to add ASAP. So, sure, you might feel it's a bullet point, but it seems most gaming review sites feel it is an essential feature that needs to be included. There are low latency Bluetooth API's including Sony's own excellant LDAC.

If you look on Metacritic most review sites question why it exists when there are better options. Most (but not all) thinking it's a bad value at 200 USD despite being a decent device. Over half are either bad reviews or mediocre reviews. Engadget didn't even give it one of the worst review scores. :p

Maybe it's only YouTube personalities that are mostly positive?

So sure, if you have a great internet connection and enough bandwidth for a good experience (most reviews agree that the minimum should be 15 Mbps and not 5 Mbps) and you are seeking remote play in the living room then for the right person it might be something worth getting. Even the negative reviews agree that if you narrow down the niche enough, there will probably be someone that might like it for the 200 USD asking price even if for most people seeking a remote play PS5 experience there are better options that can potentially offer a better experience at a cheaper price.

Regards,
SB

Seems to be a nightmare to repair.

The sticks are removable parts tho. So invest in a thermal pad (as in, a pad that heats up) large enough to cover the screen, and it may be easy enough to replace the sticks

Very unimpressed with battery access and replacement. Long term life expectancy of this thing is likely low. Then again, Sony are used to controllers dying and everyone buying a new one every 2 years - maybe that's their expectation here? 😈

That would have been ideal as an extension device of your PS5.

The cloud streaming is related to using it as a standalone gaming device that streams games from Sony's Cloud gaming service without the need of a PS5. There are no PS5 cloud games currently AFAIK though

Plus Premium is PS5 4k streaming.. anyway looks like it dosent even have bluetooth antennas. At home you can run the audio directly from PS5.

MVG thinks it can influence purchasing decisions away from Switch

Last edited:
Btw Because it's an android, theoretically Bluetooth should be able to be force enabled maybe via adb commands?

Assuming the bt in snapdragon 662 soc didn't get hw disabled

In 2024 considering the PS4 portable, CPU and GPU speed can be above PS4 after 5nm process. Is RAM speed fast enough?

LPDDR5T only has 9600 Mbps and 128bits bus can offer 153.6GB/s, which is still below PS4 176GB/s. Is it possible that we don’t really need 176GB/s for PS4 simulation or we can have 192 bits bus?

Just renamed the thread to fit the actual device. Discussion of a real portable PS requires a different thread. Likely not much point considering this close to the Portal - Sony clearly have no plans.

I'm also surprised by how much some folks are liking this device, but I'm obviously not the target audience. I would never want to use my Switch at home, and I guess this is in part of the market; folks who want to game at home on a smaller screen rather than a larger screen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I haven’t bought a current gen console, still have PS4 which hasnt been turned on in years.

But curious if Remote Play would work well on my iPad or iPhone. I wouldn’t pay $200 for this thing but might buy an extra PS5 controller to use Remote Play.

The Verge review said the PS5 has to be on ethernet.

Back