Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Reflowing the solder which was a common fix for most defective launch PS3's isn't related to the capacitors.

Regards,
SB
Common, yes. But also often not the fix. At this point, I won't fix yellow light PS3's because I end up spending too much time on them for what anyone wants to pay for the repair, and even if you fix one issue, they are so prone to developing another that I can't with confidence tell anyone it's not going to yellow light next week.

Common, yes. But also often not the fix. At this point, I won't fix yellow light PS3's because I end up spending too much time on them for what anyone wants to pay for the repair, and even if you fix one issue, they are so prone to developing another that I can't with confidence tell anyone it's not going to yellow light next week.

Yes, it wasn't a permanent fix in many cases, but the point was that it wasn't the capacitors that was the problem for most PS3s. It was the solder.

I knew of some repair places that would offer to resolder certain components using leaded solder rather than non-leaded solder. Those are likely still running just fine, although other components may have failed over time.

Regards,
SB

Yes, it wasn't a permanent fix in many cases, but the point was that it wasn't the capacitors that was the problem for most PS3s. It was the solder.

I knew of some repair places that would offer to resolder certain components using leaded solder rather than non-leaded solder. Those are likely still running just fine, although other components may have failed over time.

Regards,
SB
It's the caps pretty often now as well. The worst thing is that they test fine but swapping them can still fix the problem. Even resoldering the caps with new solder doesn't fix it, they have to be replaced.

It's the caps pretty often now as well. The worst thing is that they test fine but swapping them can still fix the problem. Even resoldering the caps with new solder doesn't fix it, they have to be replaced.

Ah, so it's something that pops up much longer into the life of the system. I'm no longer doing much with the recycling industry anymore so I haven't been in the loop WRT electronics failures in the past few years.

So that would explain why almost all of the initial PS3 failures I saw were due to the solder.

Regards,
SB

Ah, so it's something that pops up much longer into the life of the system. I'm no longer doing much with the recycling industry anymore so I haven't been in the loop WRT electronics failures in the past few years.

So that would explain why almost all of the initial PS3 failures I saw were due to the solder.

Regards,
SB
At this point it's everything. Power supplies, caps, fans, and the chips coming off the board plus stuff I'm sure I haven't seen. I just gave up on fixing them because I'd put all this work into it and it would brake again in a month with something else, but the symptom (yellow light) is the same. So customers think it's the same thing.

This is the inter core latencies of PS5 CPU. Those are rather decent results.

dr3XQ8E.png

I think this is what the ex-PS5 software engineer was talking about (some say he was comparing against Xbox Series CPUs).
Let’s say you have a CPU whose cores are 110mhz faster, but with higher interconnect latencies, versus another CPU. That’s fine if you are hitting on-core L1/L2 cache almost all the time, otherwise you’re stalling. I’d personally favor the lower latencies vs marketing numbers.

very good decision, btw they couldn't announce it on last Sony show ?
It's interesting that most of Sony's recent (last 5 years) acquisitions are kind of uninteresting and predictable. They're typically companies with whom Sony have had a long and near-exclusive relationship. It feels like Microsoft pull names out of hats, but it's a lot more surprising and entertaining.

It's interesting that most of Sony's recent (last 5 years) acquisitions are kind of uninteresting and predictable. They're typically companies with whom Sony have had a long and near-exclusive relationship. It feels like Microsoft pull names out of hats, but it's a lot more surprising and entertaining.
Uninteresting for sure disagree, predictable in terms of bluepoint or housework for sure, but to be honest I didn't event know what Nixxes is before. As for Bethesda and Microsoft I think most of their games were closer to pc market so also Microsoft, there is also some pattern here.

Finally picked up a PS5.

First impressions.

Disclaimer: Some feelings may change once I am more familiar with PS5.

Its huge. LOL. But it was fine once I put it in the entertainment center. Its size and shape didn't make it stand out like a sore thumb, but along with its color it doesn't just melt into the background.

Thank you Sony for letting me dust off an account that I haven't touched in 6 or 7 years. It just took a quick "forgot your password" process to reclaim it.

The UI is more aesthetically pleasing than the Xbox UI at least when you move beyond the Home page. I can't stand the Xbox store UI and because its where I spend the most time when navigating the UI, it leaves the biggest impression. However, the PS5 Home page seems underutilized. I found myself pressing the home button multiple times and not realizing I was at the main home page because its the equivalent of the Xbox main game or app page. I don't see the necessity of separating out games from apps on the PS5 home page. I prefer how the Xbox's home page centers around most recently used apps/games. I usually jump between 2 or 3 games or apps so I can quickly navigate where I want to be while touching the UI for just a few seconds with minimum button pushes. However, not a big deal.

One thing that stands out about PS5 controller is that it didn't seem foreign to me. I had no problem just picking up and just playing as it just felt natural in my hand. The second thing that stood out is the battery life or lack thereof. A wired gaming session every once in while because I let the controller's battery get too low is not big deal with an Elite 2. My lackadaisical effort means I only have such a gaming session once every couple of weeks. I will have to be more diligent with charging the PS5 controller because 40 hours versus 10 is a big difference. Hopefully, there is a third party PS5 controller with a much longer battery life.

The biggest plus is the first party titles. Man, I am stoked because I haven't owned a PS since the PS3 so all those first party and first class PS4 titles at cheap prices or part of PS Plus is the highlight of my purchase. I got months of great gaming ahead to experience which is even better considering I've been mostly underwhelmed by the gaming titles that have released over the last year. The current slate of upcoming releases aren't all that appealing either. My first game on the PS5, God of War Ragnarok means I am already having a blast on the console. Next up is Uncharted 4 and I will save TLOU 2 for dead last because I am not looking forward to seeing a certain event. Anybody who claims BC isn't a big deal, probably didn't look beyond the basic use case (playing your already owned current library on new hardware). I may make it a habit to flip flop platforms every generation (last gen was the 1st I didn't own both platforms) as long as PS+ and Game Pass are around. LOL.

Finally picked up a PS5.

First impressions.

Disclaimer: Some feelings may change once I am more familiar with PS5.

Its huge. LOL. But it was fine once I put it in the entertainment center. Its size and shape didn't make it stand out like a sore thumb, but along with its color it doesn't just melt into the background.

Thank you Sony for letting me dust off an account that I haven't touched in 6 or 7 years. It just took a quick "forgot your password" process to reclaim it.

The UI is more aesthetically pleasing than the Xbox UI at least when you move beyond the Home page. I can't stand the Xbox store UI and because its where I spend the most time when navigating the UI, it leaves the biggest impression. However, the PS5 Home page seems underutilized. I found myself pressing the home button multiple times and not realizing I was at the main home page because its the equivalent of the Xbox main game or app page. I don't see the necessity of separating out games from apps on the PS5 home page. I prefer how the Xbox's home page centers around most recently used apps/games. I usually jump between 2 or 3 games or apps so I can quickly navigate where I want to be while touching the UI for just a few seconds with minimum button pushes. However, not a big deal.

One thing that stands out about PS5 controller is that it didn't seem foreign to me. I had no problem just picking up and just playing as it just felt natural in my hand. The second thing that stood out is the battery life or lack thereof. A wired gaming session every once in while because I let the controller's battery get too low is not big deal with an Elite 2. My lackadaisical effort means I only have such a gaming session once every couple of weeks. I will have to be more diligent with charging the PS5 controller because 40 hours versus 10 is a big difference. Hopefully, there is a third party PS5 controller with a much longer battery life.

The biggest plus is the first party titles. Man, I am stoked because I haven't owned a PS since the PS3 so all those first party and first class PS4 titles at cheap prices or part of PS Plus is the highlight of my purchase. I got months of great gaming ahead to experience which is even better considering I've been mostly underwhelmed by the gaming titles that have released over the last year. The current slate of upcoming releases aren't all that appealing either. My first game on the PS5, God of War Ragnarok means I am already having a blast on the console. Next up is Uncharted 4 and I will save TLOU 2 for dead last because I am not looking forward to seeing a certain event. Anybody who claims BC isn't a big deal, probably didn't look beyond the basic use case (playing your already owned current library on new hardware). I may make it a habit to flip flop platforms every generation (last gen was the 1st I didn't own both platforms) as long as PS+ and Game Pass are around. LOL.
Congrats! God of War Ragnarok is the sequel, but yes, GoW is one of the best PS4 game currently with Bloodborne that you must also play (the game is less impacted by frame-pacing on PS5, but you could wait for a possible 60fps remaster by Bluepoint).

About TLOU2 if you know the event my advice would be to play something else, the gameplay is great, the graphics at 60fps make it one of the best looking game on ps5 (the animations are the best in class), but the story is very disappointing.

Another PS4 game that shines on PS5 is Monster Hunter World, locked 60fps is fantastic.

By the way I agree about the home button, it's a mess (compared to PS4).

This is the inter core latencies of PS5 CPU. Those are rather decent results.

dr3XQ8E.png

I think this is what the ex-PS5 software engineer was talking about (some say he was comparing against Xbox Series CPUs).

Without an actual comparison, it might be assuming too much about whether the PS5 was being compared to its competitor.
Those numbers are decent, but from what I've seen in other reviews inferior to the standalone chiplet Zen2 products.
The Zen2 APUs seemed to have even better inter-ccx latencies.
It took something like the 3950X to get latencies in this range.

Perhaps the other chip could have worse latencies, if the lower GPU clock somehow reduced the data fabric speed. This data in isolation isn't presenting a serious challenge at mildly to significantly longer latency than various Zen2 products.

Back