Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

i wonder why sony design it like that instead of directly drawing power from the USB cable. Surely drawing power from battery and keeps charging the battery 24/7 at 100% wont be good for batt health?
I’m not a battery guy, but I don’t know a system that when plugged bypasses the battery.
I recall doing some stuff on my MacBook Pro, and it was so heavy it would drain your battery even when plugged in. Lol.

pretty sure the battery is required to complete the circuit; when you start your car, you cannot remove the battery even though the turning of the motor causes your generator to run it is designed to output its power to the battery the rest of the system is designed to pull from the battery at different rates.

Last edited:
I’m not a battery guy, but I don’t know a system that when plugged bypasses the battery.
I recall doing some stuff on my MacBook Pro, and it was so heavy it would drain your battery even when plugged in. Lol.

pretty sure the battery is required to complete the circuit; when you start your car, you cannot remove the battery even though the turning of the motor causes your generator to run it is designed to output its power to the battery the rest of the system is designed to pull from the battery at different rates.

I don't think this is correct. Most battery swelling issues are due to being plugged in so often. Microsoft has included limiters to the battery on its surface line that you should enable if its plugged in all the time on a dock or charger to protect from battery degration and swelling

I don't think this is correct. Most battery swelling issues are due to being plugged in so often. Microsoft has included limiters to the battery on its surface line that you should enable if its plugged in all the time on a dock or charger to protect from battery degration and swelling
so if you keep it plugged in at all times, it doesn't charge the battery and the power goes directly to the controller unit? I mean, yes on Xbox controllers this happens. If I toss the removable battery the controller still operates. This makes sense because they know players may not have a battery on hand and still need to be able to play.

But that may not be the case for PS5 controller. Since you can't remove the battery, I'm unsure of how it's circuited.

so if you keep it plugged in at all times, it doesn't charge the battery and the power goes directly to the controller unit? I mean, yes on Xbox controllers this happens. If I toss the removable battery the controller still operates. This makes sense because they know players may not have a battery on hand and still need to be able to play.

But that may not be the case for PS5 controller. Since you can't remove the battery, I'm unsure of how it's circuited.

not sure on the controller but on the surface I think it charges the batteries while also powering the device

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/battery-limit

i wonder why sony design it like that instead of directly drawing power from the USB cable. Surely drawing power from battery and keeps charging the battery 24/7 at 100% wont be good for batt health?
You can set a time limit of USB charging while in standby. After that time, and even with the console in standby, the USB will be turned off to save power (around 5W on PS4, should be about the same on PS5).

You can set a time limit of USB charging while in standby. After that time, and even with the console in standby, the USB will be turned off to save power (around 5W on PS4, should be about the same on PS5).

Interesting, so they put some of the responsibility to keep the battery healthy on the console itself.

Interesting, so they put some of the responsibility to keep the battery healthy on the console itself.
If you've bought a Windows 10 laptop in the last 18 months you'll know they they almost always come pre-configured with Windows 10 battery saving set to maximum, what this means in practice is that your battery will never charge more than 80% while Windows is running. You can switch it off, but Windows 10 does not make that easy putting a bunch of barriers to deter you in the way.

It's about extending the longevity of the battery for many years, at the expensive of the battery life for any session. In laptops with easily replaceable batteries, where new battery around grind £60-70 quid, many people just disable it. It's of little benefit for my battery to last an extra couple of years if I can't get through the day on a full (80%) charge.

My ASUS Zephyrus was configured this way and this has an easy too service battery.

If you've bought a Windows 10 laptop in the last 18 months you'll know they they almost always come pre-configured with Windows 10 battery saving set to maximum, what this means in practice is that your battery will never charge more than 80% while Windows is running. You can switch it off, but Windows 10 does not make that easy putting a bunch of barriers to deter you in the way.

It's about extending the longevity of the battery for many years, at the expensive of the battery life for any session. In laptops with easily replaceable batteries, where new battery around grind £60-70 quid, many people just disable it. It's of little benefit for my battery to last an extra couple of years if I can't get through the day on a full (80%) charge.

My ASUS Zephyrus was configured this way and this has an easy too service battery.

how to enable it? i keep needing to use the software from OEMs to do that, and for laptop that the OEMs didnt provide a software for that, im stuck with 100% battery.

how to enable it? i keep needing to use the software from OEMs to do that, and for laptop that the OEMs didnt provide a software for that, im stuck with 100% battery.
Sorry my friend, I don't know. My entire effort goal was to disabling it and not have Windows re-enable it on the next boot. You should contact your laptop manufacturer.

Back