Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Usually they wouldn't care, but this time it's money (free, full games) on the line so yes.

Sharing your account with somebody you don't know is precisely against the TOS.
Well, if you don't abuse it it's fine, but it became apparent that a lot of people made money by using their PS5s to give away PS+ freebies to other people for a fee. As a result the PS5s were banned from PSN and the other accounts got like a 2 week suspension or something like that.

So this is something that you should take care when buying a second-hand PS5. It might be a banned console.

https://gamertweak.com/sony-permanently-ban-ps5-owners-selling-access-ps-plus-collection/
It's not the consoles that are banned though, just the accounts on those consoles.

It's not the consoles that are banned though, just the accounts on those consoles.

Nope, Console banned from PSN. Probably indefinately. An account ban wouldn't do much to punish the main abuser (which in this case is the PS5 owner).
https://mspoweruser.com/sony-permenantly-bans-ps5-ps-plus-collection/

1606722301-93b1ce9c7cef6f88e1311cd523e81d32.jpg

Reads: This PS5 console has been permanently or temporarily forbidden from accessing PlayStation Network.

Serves them right!

The only way to avoid this would be to lock the games in the collection to only be played on PS5 consoles, which would hurt people such as myself who own a PS5 as well as multiple PS4 consoles

Nope, Console banned from PSN. Probably indefinately. An account ban wouldn't do much to punish the main abuser (which in this case is the PS5 owner).
https://mspoweruser.com/sony-permenantly-bans-ps5-ps-plus-collection/

1606722301-93b1ce9c7cef6f88e1311cd523e81d32.jpg

Reads: This PS5 console has been permanently or temporarily forbidden from accessing PlayStation Network.
So the account is banned for 2 months and the console is blocked from accessing the PSN. Neat, wonder if you spoofed the MAC would you be able to get around that :?

So the account is banned for 2 months and the console is blocked from accessing the PSN. Neat, wonder if you spoofed the MAC would you be able to get around that :?
Probably not, since PlayStation 3 Sony's consoles have come with a unique system identifier (i.e. electronic serial number) so it will certainly be using that over the MAC address, even assuming you can hack the PS5 to spoof the MAC address.

Probably not, since PlayStation 3 Sony's consoles have come with a unique system identifier (i.e. electronic serial number) so it will certainly be using that over the MAC address, even assuming you can hack the PS5 to spoof the MAC address.

And the mac address never gets to server unless Sony explicitly sends it through some other means, so mac address is useless in this regard.

And the mac address never gets to server unless Sony explicitly sends it through some other means, so mac address is useless in this regard.
I was just thinking that encapsulating the MAC as part of the connection would be the fastest way to ID a box. But yeah it makes sense to a have UUID with each box. I need to pull my finger out and wireshark this to watch what happens from boot. I'm intrigued now :D

I was just thinking that encapsulating the MAC as part of the connection would be the fastest way to ID a box. But yeah it makes sense to a have UUID with each box. I need to pull my finger out and wireshark this to watch what happens from boot. I'm intrigued now :D

Its https if its similar to the PS4, so unless you got the private key, you will most likely not the get that much interesting info.

Hardware bans probably exist, ive seen banned PS4s used, pretty cheap so seems not easy to unban them i think.
On pc, hardware bans have existed since 2004 by mac address, evenbalance introduced that idea back then. Their still handed in case of cheating in multiplayer.

Usually local networking info would only be accessible from devices on the same local network but there are exploits that can trigger some IP stacks to spew their local settings including MAC addresses, hostnames etc. I don't know if they includes whatever version of the BSD stack that Sony are almost certainly using.

On PS3, each console has a unique CiD that PSN uses to identify the console. Sony does rolling bans so if you were to go online with a compromised system and or software then your account and system both get banned and you will have to find a new CiD from another console to use. People actively sell CiDs online from what I have seen.

I don't know about the PS4, they may use additional identification numbers but I would think the method is more or less the same.

Count yourself lucky for living in the west, many in Asia who have the same circumstances as you got their PS5 banned too.

As long as your PS5 doesn't open access to the games for an "unreasonable" amount of PSN accounts, it's fine.
Banned PS5s had like 50 accounts from all over the place so...

As long as your PS5 doesn't open access to the games for an "unreasonable" amount of PSN accounts, it's fine.
Banned PS5s had like 50 accounts from all over the place so...

but we in asia are a big family! 50 family members? try 100 family members!!! :D

There's been word of Sony purchasing the Metal Gear and Silent Hill franchises from Konami (who at the moment can't really do anything worthwhile with them anyways) for quite a while.

Perhaps Silent Hills is back on track as a playstation exclusive made by Kojima productions.

That would be huge! Imagine all the sony exclusive MGS pachinko machines they could make!

A comment by the dev

On Ps5 backwards compat mode there is a good deal more CPU performance and GPU performance, but its still not as much as true PS5 applications can do. The hard drive performance is more or less similar as a PC that has an SSD instead of what the ps5 can really do. DWVR performs quite similar to how it does on a high end gaming PC.

Devs improving their games is a special case. If the game has "automatic" performance, like variable resolution, then it will already improve without the dev doing anything. For the devs that want to have a specific PS5 mode, like mine, cyberpunk, and blood and truth, you need to ask playstation developer support and explain your case.

EDIT: The game

Last edited:
what's DWVR ?

I found this, as it was one of the 10 games that were listed as not being PS5 compatible:

https://uploadvr.com/dwvr-ps5/

November 4 2020 UploadVR Article said:
Dual-wielding wave shooter DWVR will be adding support for PS5 via an update, developer Mad Triangles has confirmed to UploadVR. The team’s Victor Blanko noted that he hopes to have the patch live by the end of this month, though nothing’s set in stone right now.

Back